ABC's upcoming sitcom: "Black-ish"

Rekkapryde

GT, LWO, 49ERS, BRAVES, HAWKS, N4O...yeah UMAD!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TYRONE GA!
white people get tons of different kinds of shows and they are free to not like some of them. we get a show or two (almost always a comedy) and literally every type of black person is supposed to love it.

I agree. If it aint for you, don't watch. But at least appreciate the fact we getting something out there even if you don't like it.

Still Benefited

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Breh dudes like Anthony Anderson and Laurence fishburne aren't going to make that show. I hear you but a show about blacks in the projects won't happen because most the black actors with the clout to go into a network with an idea don't want that idea especially when they're so far removed from it. Most blacks at least the ones I know, want to see success on tv and film and find the struggle in that as opposed to showing us being on the fringes all the time, fighting for whatever crumbs we can get. We've come a long way since good times and while we still aren't where we need to be, it's good to show a generation that you can aim high. And a show about being black in America in 2014 has potential because we have lost a lot of our culture and structure

Exactly why maybe they should get young people who maybe aren't that far removed from it who are funny,maybe those guys who are far removed can cosign a younger cat with potential....But I get it,studios don't wanna take risk,and those with clout DONT want to get behind a hood comedy based in the hood around the life of average black people....theyd rather have blacks on tv who look like black excellence:banderas:...Have them be lawyers,doctors,millionairs and entrepeneurs but "make sure you portray the character in a hood way,we still need it to be ghetto and edgy:skip:".....I agree a lot of blacks I know want to see success on tv as if a normal family living in poverty but not letting it break them don't feel good enough,even though majority of them come from that........Cant have white folks see us "acting ghetto",cant have whites see us at the bottom on a fictional show:why:...Cant we have some shows with just us in mind:patrice:...Maybe numbers don't permit that but it used to...I don't mind a show like the Cosbys at all,i loved the Cosbys,still felt like a black show and had heart...........but I don't have a problem with shows like Good Times,Sanford and Son,SOuth Central either......black people nowadays would die of embarrassment ortunately if they got the idea whites might be watching black people do bad....all I want is balance:manny:

If it seem like im lashin out at this show,its only cuz I feel a imbalance in black Hollywood...not cuz I don't support this show or want its cancelation......mighta came across negative but like I said ill watch....some people just want something they can laugh and relate too...and for many black folks that's the hood:manny:...funny is funny though,but blacks should be allowed to be on tv and not have to worry about "looking bad",these blacks of 2014 consider Martin c00nin though so im not naive to where we at now as people,we are very divided on certain viewpoints...cant say ones right or ones wrong.

omnifax

All Star
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Kalamazoo, MI #ADOS
I watched the trailer and it's not half bad It doesn't seem to be outright c00ning just a man trying to keep his family from becoming too white-washed. The casting is a little off though. Fishburne seems a little young to be Andersons father and those kids looked a little to mixed IMO to be their kids but if the writing and plots are on point I could overlook those things. I would give the show a shot.

MartyMcFly

What's up doc, can we rock?
Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
Show looks trash. Its yet another Cleveland Show type show, the Black experience as told from the white perspective. Black kid wanting a Bar Mitzvah? :camby:

Y'all do know a black man was the show runner for this right? Larry Wilmore, the brother who is replacing Stephen Colbert. As a matter of fact, he was the show runner during the pilot. Not every black show on network tv is from the eyes of a white person

Phantom

Pro
Daps
Reppin
Cali
Y'all do know a black man was the show runner for this right? Larry Wilmore, the brother who is replacing Stephen Colbert. As a matter of fact, he was the show runner during the pilot. Not every black show on network tv is from the eyes of a white person

That maybe true but I willing to bet the majority of the writers for the show is white.

As others stated, why can't hollywood produce a show with a black cast while the theme isn't "Hey! They're BLack!"

I miss those WB Black sitcoms . . . Jamie Foxx show and Parent Hood were underrated . . .

MartyMcFly

Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
That maybe true but I willing to bet the majority of the writers for the show is white.

As others stated, why can't hollywood produce a show with a black cast while the theme isn't "Hey! They're BLack!"

I miss those WB Black sitcoms . . . Jamie Foxx show and Parent Hood were underrated . . .

Breh there are white writers on every show lol. Check IMDB and you'll find white and hispanic writers on plenty of shows, including Martin, Chappelle Show, Fresh Prince, etc. And on most shows, if not all shows, the show runner is the main voice and the main vision

jadillac

Veteran
Daps
Maybe I just don't watch enuff TV but it seem like we got too many shows where nikkas in the suburbs,succesful:patrice:...And believe me I hate saying that cuz it might sound bad but I don't give a shyt...Whats wrong with shows where nikkas just posted up in the hood,regular azz highschool graduates/GED recepients with regular azz jobs:pachaha:....Where nikkas facing harsh realites:banderas:....But that's not the main focus of the show and the humor not watered down so not to scare away whites who might wanna tune in:wtb:....it seem like the focus now from what I seen is either "ooooh im so hood,look how hood I am yall" comedy, or "Look were lawyers,doctors,breaking all the stereotypes you used to see on tv" comedys....but u cant win for losing,if the show was about a family in the projects alotta these nikkas that's scared white people might be watching would cry about how its c00nin to show black people working minimum wage jobs on tv and not being stressed out about it:manny:...ill probably check it out,if its funny its funny.

I get what ur saying, but it just has to be done right. Martin wasn't in the hood, Fresh Prince wasn't in the hood, Family Matters, My Wife & Kids wasnt in the hood.

Cosby Show broke that whole hood black image, but it also had great writing and casting.

That's where stuff like Tyler Perry shows fail. You can't just show a well to do black fam and automatically expect ppl to watch on some aspirational sh*t.

If it's good, ppl will watch.

HarlemUSA

Lightbringer and Azor Ahai
Supporter
Daps
I think the bar mitzvah is something that happened to Anthony Anderson. I think he gave his son a hip hop bar mitzvah. Kid is based off his own son.

MartyMcFly

Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
I give this bullshyt 5 episodes. Who are the fukking writers penning these goddamn scripts. fukk :camby::snoop::snoop::snoop::snoop::snoop::snoop::snoop::snoop:

this dude
KenyaBarris__121012235951-275x393.jpg