"Abbott Elementary" TV comedy about a Philly public school

Mission249

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Wasn't a fan of the mother.

Based on how Janine and her sister act, I wasn't buying their mother would act like that.

Plus Taraji was overacting her ass off.

I did love Barbara being a surrogate mother tho. Actually, Barbara is exactly how I would expect Janine's real mother to be like.

nieman

Daps
Reppin
Philly
Wasn't a fan of the mother.

Based on how Janine and her sister act, I wasn't buying their mother would act like that.

Plus Taraji was overacting her ass off.

I did love Barbara being a surrogate mother tho. Actually, Barbara is exactly how I would expect Janine's real mother to be like.
Why not? The way Janine acts, I'd expect her to bear the full brunt of her mother's dependency. She's always out to save everyone or fix the problem. Her sister jetted as soon as she was old enough. Hell, her mom probably used to take her summer job money, as well.

Mission249

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Why not? The way Janine acts, I'd expect her to bear the full brunt of her mother's dependency. She's always out to save everyone or fix the problem. Her sister jetted as soon as she was old enough. Hell, her mom probably used to take her summer job money, as well.
I agree. I had no problem with the dependency issues with her mom. It's the mannerisms that didn't fit for me.

Janine acts like a black woman from the burbs or a black nerd. Her mom acts like a black woman from the hood.(And no I'm not saying one acts more "black" than the other. There are many types of black people)

If it was just Janine then I'd think "ok I've seen the black sheep that acts wildly different than the rest of the family." But Janine's sister is way different than the mother too.

Maybe I just gotta see how the dad acts. Might've been one of those opposites attract relationships...

FunkDoc1112

Heavily Armed
Daps
Reppin
The 718
I agree. I had no problem with the dependency issues with her mom. It's the mannerisms that didn't fit for me.

Janine acts like a black woman from the burbs or a black nerd. Her mom acts like a black woman from the hood.(And no I'm not saying one acts more "black" than the other. There are many types of black people)

If it was just Janine then I'd think "ok I've seen the black sheep that acts wildly different than the rest of the family." But Janine's sister is way different than the mother too.

Maybe I just gotta see how the dad acts. Might've been one of those opposites attract relationships...
Meh, it just depends on the upbringing. Me for example, my mom is from Redhook and our older brother fron her first marriage is 7 years older than me and did a fair bit of growing up in 80s/90s Brooklyn. Me and my younger brother on the other hand, grew up in the burbs and have COMPLETELY different temperaments from them. If it weren't for NY slang we picked up from them you'd never guess we lived under the same roof. We sound like nikka nerds while our brother is a walking Dipset skit.

Hell look at Pat Mahomes and his zesty younger brother, and then their country ass father :russ:

Atsym Sknyfs

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn, NY
thinking about this ... I think alot of Janine's issues are self imposed.

Her idea of the world and what the world is doesnt mesh. She's naive but she's getting to a point in life where she's too old to be that immature.

Atsym Sknyfs

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn, NY
This is where she fukking up.... It's a problem according to who.... HER ...
She wants to save the world but she needs to go to therapy and save herself first.

Atsym Sknyfs

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn, NY
There's situations where kids act nothing like or polar opposites of their parents everyday b
We get that..... but the way Janine has talked about her mother and sister it didnt fit how they acted..... Hell even Jacob made a face because he didnt understand Janine's talk about her sister when he met her.

mastermind

Rest In Power Kobe
Daps
We get that..... but the way Janine has talked about her mother and sister it didnt fit how they acted..... Hell even Jacob made a face because he didnt understand Janine's talk about her sister when he met her.
The joke on her sister went over your head.

Janine isn't self-aware and was putting her issues on her sister. Everything she said about her sister, is Janine.

Atsym Sknyfs

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn, NY
The joke on her sister went over your head.

Janine isn't self-aware and was putting her issues on her sister. Everything she said about her sister, is Janine.
not over my head... if you read what i posted 5 or so posts above.. i said Janine is naive and not in tune with reality.... She is the one with the problem, not everybody else.. I said her issues are self imposed.... nobody is to blame but herself.

Im just saying with the descriptions she gave about her mother and sister... the actual people where different.

Last edited: