"Abbott Elementary" TV comedy about a Philly public school

RennisDeynolds

I am untethered and my rage knows no bounds!
Daps
Reppin
Paddys Pub
Grand Crew’s number one problem is it’s not funny. It feels like a 90s sitcom.

90s sitcoms were funny though, some of the best. Nostalgia plays in but we can't ignore the quality hitting from multiple shows on multiple fronts

Grand Crew has a weak cast and even weaker writing. The premise of the show is a group of friends who know each other well and have settled into their roles in the friend group. Right?

So who came up with this plotline:

Two of the guys are roommates with differing work schedules/lifestyles. OK cool.

one is kinda shytty in that he eats up the others food and doesn't replace it. They both have habits that annoy each other. OK cool.

They passive aggressively interact for the entire episode until they start slapboxing. OK fine.

The solution: turns out the two guys don't know each other that well at all (contradicting the premise of the damn show) and the shytty roommate feels the other looks down on him for not going to college :gucci::dwillhuh::mjtf::what::why:.

How the fukk did that even make sense in the writers room :mindblown:??

Then you got a character picking up chicks with high school Shakespeare quotes out of nowhere :dahell:. In what fukking world has that ever been a thing :patrice:

They should have burned this one off on Peacock :huhldup:

RennisDeynolds

Daps
Reppin
Paddys Pub
Sister and ebert two thumbs up looking ass boy :deadmanny:

Ol got assassinated in ford's theater looking boy :skip:

fukk Puzzles :skip:. Janine is so clueless sometimes lol

They struck a great balance between the veteran teacher and the newbies dynamic on here. They both have strengths and weaknesses but can lean on each other. Definitely the strength of the show imo

I wonder if they have any former teachers in the writers room

mastermind

Rest In Power Kobe
Daps
90s sitcoms were funny though, some of the best. Nostalgia plays in but we can't ignore the quality hitting from multiple shows on multiple fronts
I meant more in terms of the show’s style. It’s more 90s than anything after.

I agree with you about the writing. It doesn’t make sense and is not funny.

RennisDeynolds

Daps
Reppin
Paddys Pub
I meant more in terms of the show’s style. It’s more 90s than anything after.

I agree with you about the writing. It doesn’t make sense and is not funny.

Idk breh the 90s show had a budget. This shyt looked like NBC found $2000 in the budget and told them to go crazy :mjlol:. Like when tour parents gave you $10 and said don't spend it all in one place :russ:

I kinda see what you mean, which is kinda what they went for. It just missed the mark by miles

JerseyBoy23

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Essex County, NJ
I tried with the pilot had to turn off. It just comes across inauthentic. Its either a lot of white writers or the talent is just not there:hubie:. Wish them the best tho

To me, I’d be surprised if there are many black writers in the room. I love the premise of non-stereotypes, but it’s sterile as hell. There’s a certain soul missing from it and it comes off as corny more times than not.

The showrunner is actually a breh who was a writer on Insecure and Key & Peele. The rest of the episode writers so far have all been black except one female Indian writer.

Mr Hate Coffee

Veteran
Daps
This show is cool.

I’m more curious about the marketing tho. Cuz I saw a lot online and tv commercials. Seemed abnormally high for a “black” show. I wonder if they pumped a lot of money into an awareness campaign and then let it do what it do when the black influencers got wind of it.

Lootpack

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DM[V]
This show is cool.

I’m more curious about the marketing tho. Cuz I saw a lot online and tv commercials. Seemed abnormally high for a “black” show. I wonder if they pumped a lot of money into an awareness campaign and then let it do what it do when the black influencers got wind of it.
It is a black show. Quinta is black and runs the show. Majority of the cast and writers are black. The marketing treatment it’s receiving isn’t surprising for a show that airs on primetime ABC.

Bickin Back Being Bool

The Devil My Opp
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Toronto, Kanada
Looks like the buzz is affecting the ratings

'Abbott Elementary' Becomes ABC's First Comedy Debut to Quadruple Its Ratings

‘Abbott Elementary’ Becomes ABC’s First Comedy Debut to Quadruple Its Ratings
Meaghan DarwishJANUARY 26, 11:40 AM

abbott-elementary-quinta-brunson-tyler-james-williams-chris-perfetti-1014x570.jpg

ABC/Raymond Liu

Abbott Elementary is making the grade and setting a record at ABC as the freshman comedy became the network’s first to debut with quadruple ratings.

This means that the series premiere episode has garnered four times the ratings since it first aired on the network. Helmed by creator, writer, and star Quinta Brunson, Abbott Elementary debuted in December to a 0.6 rating in the 18-49 demo, pulling in 2.79 million viewers.

abbott-elementary-cast-season-1-713x570.jpg

(Credit: ABC/Gilles Mingasson)

In the 35 days following Abbott Elementary‘s arrival though, the premiere episode has pulled in astronomic ratings across ABC’s linear and digital platforms. The 300% bump gave the debut a 2.4 rating among viewers 18-49 with a total of 7.1 million viewers. This increase from live-plus-same-day ratings to its MP35 (multiplatform 35 day) performance marks ABC’s largest percentage growth for any new comedy premiere.

The series has clearly connected with viewers as it tells the story of a group of teachers working with an out-of-touch principal in one of Philadelphia’s disadvantaged public schools. Facing various challenges, these dedicated individuals use their academic and street savvy to give their students the best education and experience possible with plenty of laughs along the way.

SEE ALSO
Roush Review: Workplace Humor in 'Abbott Elementary,' 'American Auto'
A Detroit automaker's C-suite and an inner-city Philadelphia public school are the settings for two promising new network sitcoms
Joining Brunson in the cast for the mockumentary style program are Tyler James Williams, Janelle James, Sheryl Lee Ralph, Lisa Ann Walter, and Chris Perfetti. Since Abbott Elementary‘s premiere, the series has been the top show in its hour on the primetime lineup, besting shows like FBI: International and Our Kind of People.

Stay tuned to see if this hit comedy can continue its TV reign on Tuesdays and catch up on previously-aired episodes on Hulu now.

Abbott Elementary, Tuesdays, 9/8c, ABC

happy for them