A win for flabby set: Old music represent 70% of U.S music market

Canada Goose

Pooping on your head :umad:
Daps
Reppin
A lake near Tampa FL
Old songs now represent 70 percent of the U.S. music market, according to the latest numbers from MRC Data, a music-analytics firm. Those who make a living from new music—especially that endangered species known as the working musician—should look at these figures with fear and trembling. But the news gets worse: The new-music market is actually shrinking. All the growth in the market is coming from old songs.

The 200 most popular new tracks now regularly account for less than 5 percent of total streams. That rate was twice as high just three years ago. The mix of songs actually purchased by consumers is even more tilted toward older music. The current list of most-downloaded tracks on iTunes is filled with the names of bands from the previous century, such as Creedence Clearwater Revival and The Police

I encountered this phenomenon myself recently at a retail store, where the youngster at the cash register was singing along with Sting on “Message in a Bottle” (a hit from 1979) as it blasted on the radio. A few days earlier, I had a similar experience at a local diner, where the entire staff was under 30 but every song was more than 40 years old. I asked my server: “Why are you playing this old music? :flabbynsick:” She looked at me in surprise before answering: “Oh, I like these songs"

Link to rest of article: Is Old Music Killing New Music?

King

The black man is always targeted.
Daps
Because new music is soulless as fukk. Industry is basically dead and these bytch ass record labels killed it.

Billboard literally was phased out of relevancy in 2020 when the pandemic came.

Now it only exists as a dikk measuring contest for what the same 3 labels decide to invest in :mjlol:

Premeditated

MANDE KANG
Daps
Reppin
IMMIGRANT TETHERS
because music sucks these days. the 2010s and 2020s are arguably the worse era in music. just microwave music

if you say that and you'll get accused of being nostalgic.

it's usually said that people stop looking or listening to new music when they hit their late 20s. but when I was young, alot of my older cousins who were in there late 20s and early 30s were still buying music that were new in the early 2000s and late 90s

The Fade

I don’t argue with niqqas on the Internet anymore
Daps
Gn2FpN3_d.webp

#AAGang; formerly Selah
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Syracuse
Found this interesting

"In fact, nothing is less interesting to music executives than a completely radical new kind of music. Who can blame them for feeling this way? The radio stations will play only songs that fit the dominant formulas, which haven’t changed much in decades. The algorithms curating so much of our new music are even worse. Music algorithms are designed to be feedback loops, ensuring that the promoted new songs are virtually identical to your favorite old songs. Anything that genuinely breaks the mold is excluded from consideration almost as a rule. That’s actually how the current system has been designed to work.

Even the music genres famous for shaking up the world—rock or jazz or hip-hop—face this same deadening industry mindset. I love jazz, but many of the radio stations focused on that genre play songs that sound almost the same as what they featured 10 or 20 years ago. In many instances, they actually are the same songs'.

The problem isn’t a lack of good new music. It’s an institutional failure to discover and nurture it."

Sounds like it's not just about new music being bad. It has to sound like some old shyt to have a shot. Not good. That's why Anderson Paak and the Karaoke singer put out that bullshyt

Last edited: