A Song of Ice & Fire by George R.R. Martin: Book Discussion Thread

dennis roadman

nuclear war in my bag
Daps
Reppin
solsbury hill
i think that TOJ fight scene was probably the best we've seen in the show's history, not including hardhome and watchers on the wall because that was all-out war

turns out Ned was nice with the steel after all :ehh:

Don't the books say something about Reed using a net or some shyt. I always assumed he used that to help beat Dayne
don't remember to be honest, but i think that's speculation and implication given that howland was small and used frogspears and nets in his daily life

the stab in the back was clearly a way to diminish howland's role in the show (rightfully so, you can't just hoist him up to the level of ned-like importance after basically ignoring him) and make it obvious that ned has cut corners in his life, indirectly or otherwise

i was a little let down by the lack of dialogue and how it didn't have the air of grand consequence that the book had, but screen time is limited so i get it.

ghostwriterx

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
TOJ was cool, good fight scene. Just annoyed they cut away before actually revealing something. Reed stabbing Dayne in the back was whatever to me. Didn't really see it as a blot on Ned's honor. Its a war, they were already fighting 4 on 1, not like there's a Geneva convention in Westeros. lol

I don't see how Rickon survives the season, absolutely no reason for Ramsay to keep him alive. He's a male heir to Winterfell with a better claim than his.

Umber turning him over like that was cringe worthy. I don't see anyway its a ruse. You don't turn over the last surviving Stark to a psycho like Ramsay unless you don't give a fukk if he lives or not.

fact

Fukk you thought it was?
Daps
Reppin
How you gonna ROFL with a hollow back?
Melisandre clearly articulating that Stannis was NOT azor ahai :mjlol: and that Jon Snow, Rhaegar's son, is indeed azor ahai :heh:

then we see that Ned is only honorable to the point of omitting information about how he won the biggest duel of his life and recent westerosi history because howland reed stabbed the GOAT in the back :whew:

remember when the theories were that howland used cranoggsmen magic or warging to help ned defeat them :heh:

starkset took a minor but not insignificant L there, and @fact just plain lost AGAIN

edit: do tommen's kingsguard have the baratheon/lannister sigil on them :jbhmm: i get why they put the dragon on aerys' kingsguard because show watchers don't know what house dayne and house whent are, but i don't remember seeing it outside of that scene
I got something for you after my daughters softball game tonight, prolly 9 or 10 est.

dennis roadman

nuclear war in my bag
Daps
Reppin
solsbury hill
I got something for you after my daughters softball game tonight, prolly 9 or 10 est.
lemme guess

rhaegar died in a river
rhaegar was a fakkit with beautiful flowing hair that offset his swirling purple eyes
rhaegar played the harp better than he wielded a sword (debatable, and not technically an insult)
blah blah blah motherfukker you only got repeats, we got whole new seasons outchea

the sole reason for your man stirring up all this shyt said in plain spoken Common Tongue that he was not who we thought he was

and now rhaegar's boy got davos pumpin on your block, mel using her rock, and now they run together? what up son, whatever :camby:

#stannislost

tjwettem

#StarkSet
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
#StarkSet
I'm just glad that the sword of the morning didn't get the barristan Selmy treatment and he got to show how nice he actually was with the sword.

A full year later and I'm still upset with how they had barristan die.

Cheesy

All Star
Daps
Reppin
The Hometown
Just a minor issue but it didn't look like Ned was wielding Ice at the Tower of Joy:jbhmm: his sword seemed kinda small-ish. I don't have a problem with the scene, just noticed that minor detail.
They are most def building up towards r+l=j with all the flashbacks. Looking forward to that.

Tasha And

Superstar
Daps
Just a minor issue but it didn't look like Ned was wielding Ice at the Tower of Joy:jbhmm: his sword deemoed kinda small-ish. I don't have a problem with the scene, just noticed that minor detail.
They are most def building up towards r+l=j with all the flashbacks. Looking forward to that.
I'm pretty sure even in the books Ned didn't have Ice when he went to the Tower of Joy.

daze23

Siempre Fresco
Daps
Just a minor issue but it didn't look like Ned was wielding Ice at the Tower of Joy:jbhmm: his sword seemed kinda small-ish. I don't have a problem with the scene, just noticed that minor detail.
well he might not have been officially given Ice until after the events of the rebellion. plus a greatsword might not have been what he would have wanted to bring into battle (although I think there was talk of him using it during the Siege of Pyke)

some reddit detectives already pointed out he was seen with the same sword before (well really "after")

hqOR4mp.jpg

Daps
Reppin
Des Moines, IA
Ned did not carry Ice into battle. Ice is a 2 handed greatsword. Very few people carry that type of weapon into battle. The Mountain is one. Arthur Dayne is another, but Dawn is well known for being as light as a regular sword. That's why GRRM says that Arthur Dayne is equal to Barristan Selmy in skill, but with Dawn in hand Dayne would win