A Song of Ice & Fire by George R.R. Martin: Book Discussion Thread

The Watcher

Judging you from afar
Daps
Reppin
Peepholes
Bruh I think we are getting TWOW before season 6. I really do. In which case, nothing will be spoiled other than Benjen does something and Shireen burns (somehow, maybe not by Stannis).

Nothing else is really spoiled yet. We don't know LSH's importance, or Aegon or Victorian for that matter. Their absence doesn't mean much.

Spoilers will be limited to season 7 I think. Maybe its just wishful thinking :yeshrug:

The peasants will riot if he doesn't get TWOW out by the start of season 6. Not to mention how pissed off his publishers will be knowing that they'll lose out on the money from readers that jumped on after the Red Wedding, but will probably disappear after the show.

I think it's happening next year. I want to believe. :mjcry:

jay211

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I always thought Benjen could be the Ghost of Winterfell. The only problem with that theory is, Benjen is so honorable, would he really just up and desert the Night's Watch and his oath?

tjwettem

#StarkSet
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
#StarkSet
Tried to avoid this thread all week long, but going through the last few pages reacting to each spoiler like :ohhh::blessed::gladbron::dwillhuh::sadcam::mjcry::stopitslime::dwillhuh:

We need TWOW now brehs

Pifferry

blegh
Daps
I'm sorry to all the book guys here but man I'm really hoping for as many TWOW spoilet's as possible tonight. I know Westeros.org and some other hardcore book forums will lose their shyt if something major is spoiled and I want to just bask in all the anger tomorrow at work.
We still have the superior story :ehh:

Piff Perkins

Veteran
Daps
“David Benioff and Dan Weiss … are no longer telling the same story as ‘A Song of Ice and Fire.’ They’re telling a cheaper, b*stardized, dollar-store version of it, complete with all the loathsome tropes of Hollywood that drove George R.R. Martin to write his magnum opus in the first place.”
http://www.salon.com/2015/06/14/sto...ove/?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=socialflow

:yeshrug:

Honestly I can't deny that. Brehs I'm getting concerned about these fukkboys butchering shyt next year. This was the first test of them doing shyt without the books and it's a flop. Ratings down, worse reviews, and shyt is not even better than AFFC/ADWD...books a lot of people don't fukk with. If they couldn't even do decently this year how will they do next year.

I might not watch next season if TWOW isn't out. It'll be impossible to avoid spoilers but fukk it...

Foxmulder

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Long Island,NY
“David Benioff and Dan Weiss … are no longer telling the same story as ‘A Song of Ice and Fire.’ They’re telling a cheaper, b*stardized, dollar-store version of it, complete with all the loathsome tropes of Hollywood that drove George R.R. Martin to write his magnum opus in the first place.”
http://www.salon.com/2015/06/14/sto...ove/?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=socialflow

:yeshrug:

Honestly I can't deny that. Brehs I'm getting concerned about these fukkboys butchering shyt next year. This was the first test of them doing shyt without the books and it's a flop. Ratings down, worse reviews, and shyt is not even better than AFFC/ADWD...books a lot of people don't fukk with. If they couldn't even do decently this year how will they do next year.

I might not watch next season if TWOW isn't out. It'll be impossible to avoid spoilers but fukk it...
I agree with this. This season has been trash imo. I see a lot of yall enjoy it I don't want to sound like those fucbois at westoros.org but I'm just not feeling this shyt anymore.:manny:

The Watcher

Judging you from afar
Daps
Reppin
Peepholes
I'm okay with spoilers and a b*stardized television version of the story.

I don't trust that GRRM is going to finish the books without dying, which sounds bad but the reality is that he's old and fat and has to deal with the constant stress of fans asking him to finish these books. I'd rather have a sub-par show version that I know GRRM consulted on than any of the possible alternatives, like some other author getting commissioned to finish the story and giving it a Jon + Dany twilight inspired fan fiction ending or GRRM legally locking his story down so there's no ending at all.

And if he proves me wrong and lives, then I get to experience the books in all their glory anyway. So either way, I end up satisfied. :manny:

All that said, TWOW by early 2016 or we use our hidden stash of wildfire to burn this entire world down :birdman:

TheGreatShowtime

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Swamp
Read something interesting on Reddit saying they showed the clip of Benjen to show the horse running back to the wall. He warged into the horse, and that foreshadows Jon warging to Ghost. :patrice:

jay211

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I saw that on Reddit too. But I don't believe it. For a multitude of reasons. We NEVER find out that Benjen had warged into his horse. No hint, nothing. For them to bring up Bejen in a Previous on Segment, they either have to have found Benjen/he finally appears. Or some important info about Jon's uncle must be revealed this episode.

I don't believe it's info about his uncle, because that most likely would've came form the Lord Commander who is now dead. The only person who could tell Jon anything about his Uncle Benen who is alive is Alister Thorne. And I don't see a scenario where that happens.

If we don't see Benjen or find out what happened to Benjen in this episode I would be shocked.

The_Sheff

A Thick Sauce N*gga
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
ATL to MEM
People say this season is trash because of D&D making things up but one of the best parts of the entire show was the Hardhome sequence, which as you know isn't in the books.

The dip in quality has to also lay at the feet of GRRM because let's be honest there isn't much in books 4 or 5 that can measure up to the first 3 books. With a tv show you can't go 3 years with minimum plot movement and just teases of events that never happen. A straight up adaptation of books 4 and 5 would result in a lot more lost viewers than what we have now. These articles slamming the shows interpretation of these past 2 books always conviently ignore how maligned they are even by book readers. It gives an impression that the shows are cutting material that actually warrants being filmed which is for the most part not the case.

TheGreatShowtime

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Swamp
People say this season is trash because of D&D making things up but one of the best parts of the entire show was the Hardhome sequence, which as you know isn't in the books.

The dip in quality has to also lay at the feet of GRRM because let's be honest there isn't much in books 4 or 5 that can measure up to the first 3 books. With a tv show you can't go 3 years with minimum plot movement and just teases of events that never happen. A straight up adaptation of books 4 and 5 would result in a lot more lost viewers than what we have now. These articles slamming the shows interpretation of these past 2 books always conviently ignore how maligned they are even by book readers. It gives an impression that the shows are cutting material that actually warrants being filmed which is for the most part not the case.

I agree with your entire post. I honestly feel like the last two episodes are top 5 episodes produced throughout the entire series. I have friends who have only watched the show saying this is the best season.

I jumped on ASOIAF late. I basically read all 5 books while season 2 was airing. I didn't start season 1 until I read the first book. I honestly think the show has done a masterful job. Yeah, there are some things that could've been done better but so what? I've honestly gotten tired of people complaining about the show. They don't have the time nor the budget to include everything. Could you imagine watching a show with Brienne walking in a god damn circle or Samwell Tarly constantly reminding us how he's a fat, useless piece of shyt every time he's on camera? I love the books, but people need to get real.

There are a lot of deviations from the books that are better than what GRRM originally wrote (e.g. Arya in season 2 with Tywin instead of Roose, Hardhome, Tyrion meeting Dany, not putting wack ass Penny in the story). I'm not saying the show is perfect (e.g. Yara/Asha trying to rescue Theon :dahell:) but people need to get over themselves.

Last edited: