A Song of Ice & Fire by George R.R. Martin: Book Discussion Thread

T-K-G

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
LWO/Starkset
so who do you guys think GRRM will have win it all in the end?
nobody gonna really win imo, grrm one of those writers that goes so far against typical cliches that u can kind of predict bad and/or bittersweet endings most of the time :manny:

Last edited:

Bud Bundy

A Bundy never cares
Daps
so who do you guys think GRRM will have win it all in the end?

what do you mean by win?

I think Ayra considering her goals will prob be the big winner. Sansa will prob accomplish most of her goals since she is getting stronger and more devious. Jon snow will save the relm but will prob suffer the same fate as Ned and die for it.

obarth

R.I.P Char
Poster of the Year
Daps
Reppin
Pawgs with dragons
Yeah Malazan Book of the Fallen is dope! :gladbron:

The first book is painful to read because you have to adjust your brain to that type of writing...then its a breeze from there. I'm on book 5 and almost finishing. If you read GRRM describing at least 5+ pages of food and what people are wearing and blah blah blah...you can definitely read the first book of this series with no problem. You have to get immersed in the author's setting and forget about GRRM style.
I'm on the 6th book (The Bonehunters) and I'd say it's just as good as ASOIAF but a lot harder to get into. Also the effort to remember names, places, affiliations, etc. is on par with how difficult it is for non-book readers to keep up with GoT.

Shaman

Poet
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
QC
Jon Snow

But I doubt it'll be a straight up victory, and Daenerys being queen would be the lamest ending ever

I think she's definitely going to die; the only question for me is whether she'll die being seen as a "hero" or a "villain"

My guess is she goes insane. What I think/hope is that Aegon initially wins the throne and is popular among nobles and commoners. Dany arrives later, and when people see dragons, dothraki, iron born, and the kin-slaying demon monkey Lannister backing her they go :dahell: . Dany goes :dahell: seeing Aegon on "her" throne (especially after she realizes he's a blackfyre) and the second Dance of the Dragons starts.

Dany wins but turns into the Mad Queen when the people reject her as a usurper, and tells Drogon to "burn them all" in King's Landing; Barristan hears this, goes :sadbron:, and kills Dany, becoming known as the Queenslayer

:ahh:

Arianne Martell

"Unbowed, Unbent, Unbroken"
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
House Martell #SnakeGang #Targset
I'm on the 6th book (The Bonehunters) and I'd say it's just as good as ASOIAF but a lot harder to get into. Also the effort to remember names, places, affiliations, etc. is on par with how difficult it is for non-book readers to keep up with GoT.

that's book 6?:dwillhuh: then I'm where you at...

I agree with you...Malazan wiki is my friend :ahh:

Peter Parker

Superstar
Daps
I still have a hope that Stannis will swoop in and pick up the pieces after Dany and Aegon destroy King's Landing.

But Jon is clearly the hero of the story so he has to fit in somewhere in there
Stannis is 100% going to die

And he's probably my second favorite character behind Jon Snow but I know breh is gone

YaThreadFloppedB!

The Patron Saint of Threads
Daps
Reppin
The Bushes
I don't think Aegon "wins" but for some strange reason I'm really pulling for him.

That would make him and Jon Snow half brothers if the Rhaegar and Lyanna rumors are true, tho. The only thing I'm sure of is Rickon being Lord/Warden of the North at the end.

And I really like Arianne & the Sand Snakes.

Can't wait to see who they cast for Arianne & Nymeria:noah:

EDIT: Arianne better have some tig ol bitties the way GRRM is always describing them thangs in the book:shaq:

Daps
Reppin
Des Moines, IA
I don't think Aegon "wins" but for some strange reason I'm really pulling for him.

That would make him and Jon Snow half brothers if the Rhaegar and Lyanna rumors are true, tho.

Except that he is a Blackfyre descendent and not the son of Rheagar :mjpls:

Even ignoring all the textual clues that he is the son of Illyrio and his Blackfyre wife Serra, I feel there are major plotholes in Varys' actions if Aegon is truly a Targaryen.

For someone who wants to restore the Targs to power, Varys and Illyrio sure were seemingly careless with Dany and Viserys' lives. I feel like they only viewed those two a a means to add credibility to Aegon's claim. Someone who truly loved the Targs should not have sent Dany out into the Dothraki sea where she was at a high risk to die.

I am also starting to think that it was Varys who started the rumor that Rhaegar kidnapped and raped Lyanna. I know a lot of people think it was Littlefinger, but I'm not sure. If Varys truly served the realm he would have wanted Rhaegar in charge, but obviously this is not the case. I think Varys fed into the Mad King's paranoia and started Roberts Rebellion in order to set up the switcheroo for Aegon with (f)Aegon. He didn't expect Robert to triumph which is why he pleaded not to open the gates to Tywin, because he knew that would be the end of the war and his plan would be ruined. It ended up costing him 16 years before he could re-implement his plan

The textual evidence is just too much for me to ignore as well. And so are the Dunk and Egg tales. We already know that D&E play an important role in the main tale because that is where all our Bloodraven info comes from, so it makes sense to me that fleshing out the Blackfyre rebellion in those tales serves a purpose to the main story as well.

Last edited:

MidniteJay

無敵
Supporter
Daps
Except that he is a Blackfyre descendent and not the son of Rheagar :mjpls:

Even ignoring all the textual clues that he the song of Illyrio and his Blackfyre wife Serra, I'm feel there are major plotholes in Varys' actions if Aegon is truly a Targaryen.

For someone who wants to restore the Targs to power, Varys and Illyrio sure were seemingly careless with Dany and Viserys' lives. I feel like they only viewed those two a a means to add credibility to Aegon's claim. Someone who truly loved the Targs should not have sent Dany out into the Dothraki sea where she was at a high risk to die.

I am also starting to think that it was Varys who started the rumor that Rhaegar kidnapped and raped Lyanna. I know a lot of people think it was Littlefinger, but I'm not sure. If Varys truly served the realm he would have wanted Rhaegar in charge, but obviously this is not the case. I think Varys fed into the Mad King's paranoia and started Roberts Rebellion in order to set up the switcheroo for Aegon with (f)Aegon. He didn't expect Robert to triumph which is why he pleaded not to open the gates to Tywin, because he knew that would be the end of the war and his plan would be ruined. It ended up costing him 16 years before he could re-implement his plan

The textual evidence is just too much for me to ignore as well. And so are the Dunk and Egg tales. We already know that D&E play an important role in the main tale because that is where all our Bloodraven info comes from, so it makes sense to me that fleshing out the Blackfyre rebellion in those tales serves a purpose to the main story as well.

Who ever the hell he is, I can't wait for more Aegon VI material.

I'm not sure why people see him as a brat either, I think he outgrew it once he took Tyrion's advice about heading to Westeros. He's even putting himself in the front lines taking castles. :wow:

Aegon VI >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Dany

Last edited: