A man can be destroyed, but he can't be defeated: The 49ers 2014 official offseason thread

Ronnie Lott

#49erGang
Daps

DirtyDee

Pro
Daps
Reppin
Oakland
I'm feeling like only the rookies and players on the roster bubble should be out there practicing right now.
The team is so deep, that the competition at camp is causing players to go extra hard.

yseJ

Empire strikes back
Daps
Reppin
The Yay
I'm feeling like only the rookies and players on the roster bubble should be out there practicing right now.
The team is so deep, that the competition at camp is causing players to go extra hard.
Im starting to feel the same, but staff always emphasizes its a competition :manny:

feelosofer

#ninergang
Daps
Reppin
Brick City, NJ
Fullbacks

Bruce Miller - He's a jack of all trades, he can run, block and catch out of the backfield. He can do it all though I don't know if he's great at any one thing. But that's fine the modern fullback must be versatile and in our offense requires a few hats.

Grade - B

Will Tukuafu - It seems like he is entrenched as a backup FB, he's more of a bruiser and is great in goal line, running plays, and that gets him a roster spot. He can also contribute on special teams.

Grade: C

Trey Millard - Late round rookie, could be a special teams contributor, but he will likely be a practice squad player this year.

Grade D-

In conclusion, we are one of the few teams in the NFL that use a fullback in our offense. Our corps is not an elite group but they are very good, and they help move the chains with their contributions. So I'm glad to have them there.

Unit Grade: B-

FakeNews

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Hoe ass clowns already fukkin up the stadium

IHphCRg.jpg

:beli:

#StarkSet

Stark till I die
Supporter
Daps
Fullbacks

Bruce Miller - He's a jack of all trades, he can run, block and catch out of the backfield. He can do it all though I don't know if he's great at any one thing. But that's fine the modern fullback must be versatile and in our offense requires a few hats.

Grade - B

Will Tukuafu - It seems like he is entrenched as a backup FB, he's more of a bruiser and is great in goal line, running plays, and that gets him a roster spot. He can also contribute on special teams.

Grade: C

Trey Millard - Late round rookie, could be a special teams contributor, but he will likely be a practice squad player this year.

Grade D-

In conclusion, we are one of the few teams in the NFL that use a fullback in our offense. Our corps is not an elite group but they are very good, and they help move the chains with their contributions. So I'm glad to have them there.

Unit Grade: B-
I'm gonna have to disagree with you on Millard, dude is a stud and is coming off a acl injury

He might be red shirted

feelosofer

#ninergang
Daps
Reppin
Brick City, NJ
Offensive Line

Centers

Daniel Kilgore - I expect him to be the front runner for the starting job this season. I always thought he had good technique but he needed to get his strength up, I thought he got dominated but the Broncos D-Line in last years preseason. But all reports seem to have him much improved this year. He is 27 years old and entering the prime of his career, I expect him be a starter this year, he's pretty athletic for a 300 pound lineman and he has experience in the system. But Marcus Martin is gonna push him, so he has to be ready to work.

Grade - B+

Marcus Martin - I saw this guy play in USC, he is a beast of a player. He plays with a mean streak, his very strong at the line and he can move too. I wonder how quickly he can pick up our complicated offense and blocking schemes though. He;s one of my favorite draft picks this year. He will be a starter, maybe not this year but in the near future. He could come in at Center and push Kilgore to the right should Boone continue to hold out, or vice versa, but it's rare to draft such an NFL ready lineman in the 3rd round. He's an instant contributor.

Grade - B

Farell Dillon - A raw prospect, I expect we will stash him in the practice squad, he def has the prototypical size but his technique is sloppy. That's ok Mike Solari can clean that up.

Grade - D-

Guards

Mike Iupati - He's 330 pounds and one of the quickest linemen on the team. He pulls with great speed and is like a scud missile when in pursuit of the defensive linemen and blitzing linebackers. He's an elite run blocker and a very good pass blocker. He had a bit of a down year last year, he had a few mental lapses and some were costly but even so, he's going to likely be the highest paid guard in the NFL after this season, question is are we willing to pay up.

Grade - A

Alex Boone - He's arguably a top 10 guard in the league and on top of that he can fill in at either tacle spot too. It's impressive how at 6'8 and 300 lbs he can get so low to the ground and block with so much leverage, and his strong pass blocking has actually taken pressure off Anthony Davis and made him improve, as now he can commit to one edge rusher. I understand holding out but he's going to get paid, but he needs to play this season out.

Grade - A-

Joe Looney - He's been on the team two years, and he seems to be working his way up the depth chart. I thought he was a little soft when he was drafted, but watching him fill in last year has shown me how much he has improved. He's one of our top reserve guards and could continue to find playing time should Boone hold out. He's a good run blocker, but I can't really vouch for his pass blocking, but he has the strength to hold his own. He could develop into a solid young guard.

Grade - B-

Adam Snyder - 10 vet was never a star but his versatility, is what has kept him in the NFL so long. He can play any position on the line even though he is a liability as a pass blocker and is just serviceable in the run game. But he has experience and can be sort of a player/coach as well as fill in if needed.

Grade - C-

Al Netter - 2nd year player, will probably be an inactive player at best or he'll be on the practice squad. He can play guard or tackle though and that's useful.

Grade: D

Brandon Thomas - We spent a 3rd round pick on a kid that will not be able to play this year, he was a very good player in Clemson, and I think he could be contributor next year. But we'll see how Alex Boone and Iupati are handled in the next year, because that could open things up for Brandon Thomas to contribute sooner as opposed to later.

Grade: Inc.

Ryan Seymour - He's raw, but I think he's a camp body if nothing else.

Grade - F

Tackles

Joe Staley - Stalwart franchise tackle. He's one of the leagues better tackles. He actually had a very good year last year, he is a very good run blocker and he has improved over the years as a pass blacker. He hasn't asked for more money, even though he's underpaid. As long as he's healthy, he as reliable as the 6:00 train.

Grade: A-

Anthony Davis - Dude is only 25 years old and he arguably a top 3 right tackle. He's an elite run blocker and has improved considerably over the years as pass blocker, his feet while not particularly quick have improved and he's learning how to position himself better and maintain leverage. He's very strong and can push defenders back. He's a big reason our offensive line is so good.

Grade: A

Jonathan Martin - Maybe he can revive his young career in San Francisco. After having this bullying scandal in Miami, he needs to put his head down and get to work. He has to prove to doubters that he's not soft and can block in the NFL. As a starter I thought he was just ok, nothing special, but again, he started as rookie, which is unusual for offensive linemen. He is pretty average in run blocking but is actually a good pass blocker. He's more of a finesse tackle, but we could actually use a finesse guy as a backup.

Grade: C+

Carter Bykowski - He could sneak onto the 53 man roster. He's been working hard and he's young can develop, especially since he seems to have commited to the tackle position, but he won't see any real playing time this year.

Grade: C-

Michael Phillipp - We claimed him off waivers, from the Dolphins but we have so much depth, can can't expect much from the guy.

Grade - F

In conclusion, we have not only only one of the best O-Lines in football but one of the deepest. We have a nice mix of young guys and vets and if one goes down two rise like the head of a Hydra (Hail Hyrda brehs). It's arguably our best unit.

Unit Grade: A+

feelosofer

#ninergang
Daps
Reppin
Brick City, NJ
I'm gonna have to disagree with you on Millard, dude is a stud and is coming off a acl injury

He might be red shirted

It's possible he could be real good but I just don't see where he could fit in at least in the teams immediate future, I see him as maybe a special teamer, he has to at least do 2 things better than Bruce Miller or be a better goal line bruiser than Tukuafu, not saying he can't but that's a rather tall order even if he's impressive physically. Plus a busted ACL is huge for FB that has to do as much as he does in our offense. But I been wrong before, we'll see.

yseJ

Empire strikes back
Daps
Reppin
The Yay
I don't usually comment on these grades, but I don't see how Miller doesn't get a resounding A. Dude might be best fb in football

Daps
Reppin
Hayward CA