A comprehensive guide to the origin/roots of HipHop's elements (all verified facts w/ OG interviews)

newarkhiphop

Staff member
Supporter
Daps
:francis: Good topic, hoping it stays civil.

I'll sticky this, it will probably turn into the usual coli shyt show, but my question has always been this

Does being influenced by = denial of creation

When this topic comes up I always see alot of reference to old jazz beats from the 40s or some dude who said something that rhymed in the 50s. Does this take away from the people who put it all "together" (and got the actual credit for it) in the 80s like herc, bamm, flash

in your links I see alot of names of dudes from that period who are saying they did first but that's typical hip-hop, is there something more concrete

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps

I'll sticky this, it will probably turn into the usual coli shyt show, but my question has always been this

When this topic comes up I always see alot of reference to old jazz beats from the 40s or some dude who said something that rhymed in the 50s. Does this take away from the people who put it all "together" (and got the actual credit for it) in the 80s like herc, bamm, flash

The stuff from the 1920s and 1940s are THE ROOTS of what came later in HipHop when the label HipHop was coined to describe what was going on in the 1970s. Now, does it remove the credit of influence from those 1970s guys? This is up for debate depending on what side of the argument you fall on; one thing is for sure, the 1970s guys were a continuation of a mix of cultural practices that existed for decades prior

Louis Jordan with that slick talk circa 1948

in your links I see alot of names of dudes from that period who are saying they did first but that's typical hip-hop, is there something more concrete

what aspect of hiphop are you talking about?

Last edited:

K.O.N.Y

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NEW YORK CITY

Doing whats right for the culture:salute:

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps
Hip hop was started by a Jamaican with American roots. The End :unimpressed:

This doesn't hold up even by Herc's own recount of becoming a dj and when he first saw hiphop being done

Herc:

When did you start to get involved in it?

I started to get involved in it right after my house got burned down. I was going to parties back then, see. A place called the Tunnel and a place called the Puzzle, right on 161st Street – that was the first disco I used to party at. Me, guys like Phase 2, Stay High, Sweet Duke, Lionel 163 – all the early graffiti writers – used to come through there. It’s where we used to meet up and party at.

Then, years later, [there was this club] called Disco Fever. Disco Fever used to be right here on 167th. But before Disco Fever there was the Puzzle. That was the first Bronx disco.

So back then you still weren’t playing?

I was dancing, I was partying. Right around 1970, I’m in high school.

That was when b-boying was starting?

Yeah, people were dancing, but they weren’t calling it b-boying. That was just the break, and people would go off. My terms came in after I started to play – I called them b-boys. Guys just used to breakdance… Right then, slang was in, and we shortened words down. Instead of disrespect, you know, you dissed me. That’s where that came from.

Red Bull Music Academy Daily

strange enough, Herc credits another dj that he used to watch for the early Funk/breakbeat playlist at an early black club/disco from 1970

0uWufAw.jpg

Eb4HUEN.jpg

AVJcoA4.jpg

to add to that, kurtis blow says he saw/heard bboying and hiphop was around in 71 before herc's parties in 73

What do you consider the anniversary of Hip-Hop?

Kurtis Blow: Hip-Hop, to me, started around 1971, 1972. When I was thirteen years old, I gave my first party as a DJ at my good friend - Tony Rome's - 13th birthday party. I put two component sets together (back in the day, a component set was a TV, a radio, an 8 track player and a record player). So I took my mom’s component set and I took it to his house where his mom had a component set. We put both of them together and we had continuous music... and it was awesome. Awesome party. That was way before I knew that there were 2 turntables, and mixing, and continuous music that way. But in '72 I had this idea - We’re going to do this thing nonstop where we wouldn’t have to talk in-between the records and we could just make it happen. And so that was that was the first time I actually DJ'd. I was also was a B-Boy in 1972. But no disrespect to Kool Herc. If we want to claim that the start of Hip-Hop is 1973, I’ll go with it. And big ups to Kool Herc and that very first party, that back to school jam he gave with his sister Cindy back in 1973.

Kurtis Blow | Q&A | Celebrating 40 Years of Hip-Hop | PBS