A Black Man Was Elected Mayor in Rural Alabama, but the White Town Leaders Won’t Let Him Serve

Scaaar

Superstar
Daps
I've been thinking about this the last few weeks. In this day and age why haven't we just established a new community? In this day and age we have enough people in different industries to establish all the basic infrastructure. Like a new greenwood district? How much would it cost? How do you get people to buy in? Also we have way more armed citizens and money that we won't be pressured out

V Skyye

All Star
Daps
This is sad but believable. Black people need to get out of these small towns and go to larger cities. These towns really live in the past. They lack jobs, infrastructure, and they are extremely racist. Things like this happen all over the rural South.

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.

June 24, 2024

Alabama town's first Black mayor, who had been locked out of office, to return under proposed settlement​

NEWBERN, Ala. — The first Black mayor of a small Alabama town, who said white officials locked him out of town hall, will return to the role under the terms of a proposed settlement agreement.
Patrick Braxton will be recognized as the lawful mayor of the town of Newbern, under the terms of a proposed agreement to settle a lawsuit between Braxton and the town. The settlement was filed Friday and, if approved by U.S. District Judge Kristi K. DuBose, will end the long-running dispute over control of the town government, pave the way for Braxton to take over as the town’s first Black mayor and allow the seating of a new city council.

“I’m pleased with the outcome and the community is pleased. I think they are more pleased that they can voice their opinion and vote,” Braxton, 57, said Monday