A 13-year-old girl with a severe dairy allergy died after taking a sip of hot chocolate.

ThrobbingHood

Breh&Breh Associates™
Daps

A 13-year-old girl with a severe dairy allergy died after taking a sip of a Costa Coffee hot chocolate, an inquest has heard.

Hannah Jacobs, who had been allergic to dairy, fish and eggs since she was a toddler, died within hours of having a sip of the drink on 8 February 2022, East London Coroner's Court was told.

Her mother Abimbola Duyile said she had ordered two takeaway hot chocolates with soya milk before taking the teenager to a dental appointment.

She said she informed the barista at the Costa branch in Barking, east London, that Hannah was severely allergic to cow's milk.

In a statement, Ms Duyile told the inquest she requested the milk jug be cleaned, "to which they agreed".

After walking away with the drinks, the court heard Hannah took a sip of the drink on her way to the dentist and "abruptly got up and went to the toilet and shouted 'that was not soya milk'", while coughing up phlegm.

Ms Duyile said her daughter had an "immediate reaction" and rushed her to a chemist as she was complaining of chest pains, her "lips and mouth were very swollen and she was itchy".

Hannah, from Barking, then collapsed at the chemist, where she was given an EpiPen injection and a pharmacist tried to resuscitate her.

She was declared dead in hospital by 1pm, her family's lawyers said.

Speaking to the court, Ms Duyile said "my initial response was of anger to the Costa Coffee staff - it gave way to terror," adding that she "made sure that the staff (were) aware that this was not a joke" while ordering the drinks.

She said she was being "extra picky" with the order to the extent that she "might sound like a crazy mum", but she needed "to be straight with the staff" about Hannah's allergy.

"Hannah was busy telling me off for being so picky," she said, before noting that she felt the barista behind the counter "did not understand what I was saying, which is why I leaned forwards so that she could hear what I was saying".

The inquest continues.

JayGatsby

R.I.P CHINX
Daps
shyt is sad as fukk

R.i.p

But If I'm allergic to anything so severe I will not take it in any form ...no matter who makes it

To put trust in a stranger is not a risk I'm willing to take

R.i.p to her

ThrobbingHood

Breh&Breh Associates™
Daps
shyt is sad as fukk

R.i.p

But If I'm allergic to anything so severe I will not take it in any form ...no matter who makes it

To put trust in a stranger is not a risk I'm willing to take

R.i.p to her
I’m thankful no one in my family has allergies. I know acquaintances that do and it controls their lives.

Crazy to think that death is literally almost everywhere when it comes to food. I couldn’t imagine living like that, having to be cautious of every single thing you consume.

We should be thankful and count our blessings.

TRUEST

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
It’s like how can this be monitored reliably?like there has to be a test conducted where doctors are able to tell parents something to the effect of: “you must not allow her to eat xyz because if you do, then xxx will happen”.

The sad thing is most people at the hospital just trying to make a living. Yes. Even doctors. Cause honestly every time u visit your doctor they really should be testing you for everything. Scanning you, looking for anomalies. But of course. That would be too expensive. Or intrusive, unsafe they say. So they check your weight. Breathing. Basic sh1t. And then send you back out there.

I really think there’s room for improvement here.

At30wecashout

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
R.I.P. Having known a few people with some severe allergies, I don't see how anyone risks it. Especially something ubiquitous like dairy or a nut allergy. Unfortunately your life is home-cooking. No way I would trust other folks to do it and its not that I can blame them: if they did thorough prep for everyone with an issue, it would affect their work.

Dallas' 4 Eva

Superstar
Daps
If you have a severe food allergy you shouldn't be eating food that you didn't prepare yourself in the first place. The fact she trusted this current crop of fast food workers, who are the laziest and sorriest group of workers I've ever seen but want the most pay, to actually do the right thing and clean the shyt properly is on her. NEVER trust anyone else with your life or your kids life.

drifter

Superstar
Daps
If you have a severe food allergy you shouldn't be eating food that you didn't prepare yourself in the first place. The fact she trusted this current crop of fast food workers, who are the laziest and sorriest group of workers I've ever seen but want the most pay, to actually do the right thing and clean the shyt properly is on her. NEVER trust anyone else with your life or your kids life.

It's on the restaurant, not the family, to hire people to serve food properly. If they can't do that they need to close down

The responses about being allergic and never eating out for your whole life sounds great but unrealistic. The allergic deserve accommodations just like you ordering extra cheese no pickles on your burger, especially when they make it clear before the order. Modifying a burger and washing out/setting aside separate utensils for allergy, or just using the right milk is the same accommodation to a business.

It was on the restaurant when they heard the request and said they could do it. That's from experience as prepper, preparer, cashier and manager lol

chineebai

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Damn RIP. Allergies are no joke. I always carry 2 EpiPens with me everywhere I go because my child has a severe allergy to peanuts and tree nuts. We actually had to use it last year and then you have to bring to the hospital so they can make sure they don’t get another reaction. The best thing is avoidance but the OIT or SLIT treatments can provide bite protection. But any time you go out to eat you are taking a risk because who knows how good is prepared or if people really understand. It’s unrealistic to never go out to eat, like if you’re on vacation.

Luke Cage

Coffee Lover
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Harlem
Never understood why people with severe food allergies eat out.
I've seen professional weight lifters bring their own food into restaurants while their families eat off the menu, because they have a specialized diet they adhere to. But someone who can literally die is ordering off the menu and trusting some teenager with their life?
We have training on safe food handling and allergy alternatives in culinary school. but i doubt a person working in a coffee shop is a professionally trained chef.

Last edited: