90s SPIDERMAN cartoon VS Spectacular SPIDERMAN cartoon

Northern Son

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
I mean this is a no brainer.

Spectacular had better writing, better storylines, utilized its entire supporting cast, didn't have those same stupid censorship issues the other has (not that it's their fault) and really got geeky and modernized spidey.

The sinister 6, goblin, the big man, the enforcers, making fancy Dan the shocker was genius, the symbiote arc and showing how it slowly chipped away at Peter and played on his emotions while really emphasizing how the symbiote was a scorned lover. The fact that the goblin was a straight up menace, and how it didn't make Peter out to be perfect but a guy who means well even if it doesn't always work out.

I know some cats have gripes with the animation and that's fine but from every other measurable metric, I don't see how spectacular isn't the better series aside from you letting your nostalgia get the better of you. If someone wants to actually debate this then let's do it.

The animation in the 90's Spider-Man (as well as all the Marvel 90's cartoons) was pretty poor. I haven't seen Spectacular Spider-Man, but looking at a single clip on Youtube I don't see how people claim it had inferior animation.

The 90's cartoon had more vibrant colors, better backgrounds and more detailed/anatomically realistic character models I guess, but the new one looks way more fluid. The movement in the 90's cartoon is very herky jerky and stiff even when they're just talking. I think people are confusing the streamlined cartoony look with bad animation (which is doesn't appear to have at all).

MartyMcFly

What's up doc, can we rock?
Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
The animation in the 90's Spider-Man (as well as all the Marvel 90's cartoons) was pretty poor. I haven't seen Spectacular Spider-Man, but looking at a single clip on Youtube I don't see how people claim it had inferior animation.

The 90's cartoon had more vibrant colors, better backgrounds and more detailed/anatomically realistic character models I guess, but the new one looks way more fluid. The movement in the 90's cartoon is very herky jerky and stiff even when they're just talking. I think people are confusing the streamlined cartoony look with bad animation (which is doesn't appear to have at all).

What you said about movement and fluidity is what Greg and Sean said and why they went with that style. They said that by going more streamlined they could make it looser and get the movements right especially for a character like spider man who needs to be a gymnast

Atsym Sknyfs

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn, NY
Yup. Disney wanted to do their own thing. And we've got ultimate spider man:francis:

I wasn't even talking about doing their own .., I was saying they bought marvel... and production was on hold until Disney decided what they wanted and purposely stalled so the deadline hit..

I saying Disney shouldn't have bought marvel ...

we got the mcu though so guess it wasn't a bad idea

MartyMcFly

Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
I wasn't even talking about doing their own .., I was saying they bought marvel... and production was on hold until Disney decided what they wanted and purposely stalled so the deadline hit..

I saying Disney shouldn't have bought marvel ...

we got the mcu though so guess it wasn't a bad idea

Yeah I agree. There were pluses and minuses to it. This was a huge minus. But I do remember reading that Joey Q and Loeb wanted to put their stamp on animation and make them more for kids so the writing was on the wall the minute that happened

nieman

Daps
Reppin
Philly
I think 90's was better. And I pretty much love everything hat Weisman does. But 90's had better stories and did a much better job of conveying the entire MU and Spidey's place in it. Spectacular had the better acting...except Kingpin.

Rayzah

I'm Everywhere you ain't never there
Daps
I mean this is a no brainer.

Spectacular had better writing, better storylines, utilized its entire supporting cast, didn't have those same stupid censorship issues the other has (not that it's their fault) and really got geeky and modernized spidey.

The sinister 6, goblin, the big man, the enforcers, making fancy Dan the shocker was genius, the symbiote arc and showing how it slowly chipped away at Peter and played on his emotions while really emphasizing how the symbiote was a scorned lover. The fact that the goblin was a straight up menace, and how it didn't make Peter out to be perfect but a guy who means well even if it doesn't always work out.

I know some cats have gripes with the animation and that's fine but from every other measurable metric, I don't see how spectacular isn't the better series aside from you letting your nostalgia get the better of you. If someone wants to actually debate this then let's do it.

How does ultimate Spider-Man rank in this? Cause I like that show. Never heard of spectacular Spider-Man. When did it air and how many seasons was it?

MartyMcFly

Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
How does ultimate Spider-Man rank in this? Cause I like that show. Never heard of spectacular Spider-Man. When did it air and how many seasons was it?

2 seasons, one on CW, the other on Disney XD once Disney bought Marvel. I'm pretty sure you can watch episodes of it on youtube but there's a blu ray set out of the full season on amazon which I suggest as a cop instantly.

And I'd rank ultimate spider man close to last. Maybe it's not as bad as spider-man unlimited but I just don't fukk with it. It's way too silly for me and doesn't have enough Peter stuff going on