60fps console games will become increasingly rare, analysts warn gamers

Bubba T

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
As technology progresses, it makes sense that the gamers expect fresh games releasing on new-gen consoles to look and perform better than ever before. With more powerful hardware making it possible to have higher-resolution graphics and smoother frame rates, it just makes sense that the biggest titles would strive for the very best, right?

It’s for this reason that so much controversy tends kick off whenever it’s announced that a highly anticipated game doesn’t reach 60 frames per second on consoles. We’ve seen it loads, with Gotham Knights’ release last year being a particularly memorable example. More recently, it was confirmed that Bethesda’sspace adventure RPG Starfield will also be locked at 30FPS on consoles, and some tech analysts think this could be a sign of things to come.

Take a look at Starfield’s story trailer below.

As TheGamer reports, two game tech analysts at Digital Foundry discussed Starfield’s frame rate in a recent breakdown video, where they noted that a lower frame rate makes sense for a game that is “designed for object permanence”. Basically, the game needs to constantly remember what players have done to affect its many worlds, on top of the fact that it needs to maintain a steady performance across a massive expanse of locations. However, they think that this could become the norm for future games, too.

“For better or for worse, mainly for worse I suppose, I expect that 30FPS is going to once again become the most common frame rate we see in big console games, and if performance modes are offered, they might not be as stable as we would like,” Digital Foundry’s John Linneman said. “I do think that's a bummer to some degree, but I feel like that's natural with this expansion towards more advanced graphics capability. We had this cross-gen period, and that was the opportunity for developers to push frame rate because they still needed to target lower-end platforms, but we’re now seeing this stuff go way beyond that.”

It definitely would be a shame if this is true, although I’m sure we can all agree that it’d be better to have a game running smoothly at a lower frame rate than constantly stuttering and dropping frames trying to hit a higher one.

60fps console games will become increasingly rare, analysts warn gamers

Tempering gamers expectations 3 years into the current gen? This is why you can’t fall too deep into marketing. You’ll end up disappointed.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
need pro consoles, STAT!

this is the platform holders fault, really. They over promised on 60fps in order to upsell cross-gen games as “next gen” and now that current gen games are coming out they gotta walk back those promises and now people are confused as that was one of the defining features for the past 3 years.

They got us hooked on 60 they need to continue to deliver either through optimization magic or pro consoles

Rekkapryde

GT, LWO, 49ERS, BRAVES, HAWKS, N4O...yeah UMAD!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TYRONE GA!
Racing
Sports
Fighting
FPS
Simulation

If a game isn’t one of these competitive genres, don’t expect devs to sacrifice graphical fidelity for locked 60fps
1440/60 should be the sweet spot and is a nice setting for both graphical fidelity and Framerate

Ezekiel 25:17

Veteran
Daps
need pro consoles, STAT!

this is the platform holders fault, really. They over promised on 60fps in order to upsell cross-gen games as “next gen” and now that current gen games are coming out they gotta walk back those promises and now people are confused as that was one of the defining features for the past 3 years.

They got us hooked on 60 they need to continue to deliver either through optimization magic or pro consoles

Yeah, but you also got to take into account that gamers are very cheap. They expect $400 hardware, 60fps, and 4k. Never mind the shyt is outdate the day it drops.

I wouldn't mind paying $800 for state of the art PS5.

MrLogic

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Cash
Easy solution but hefty price tag for console only gamers is that

Sony and MS just need to up the price tag and go for mid tier gpu's

"4070's" tier or at least 3070 range for their next console

make the game at 2560 * 1440p and use FSR/DLSS as a standard to "fake" the 4k

If done right can't tell the difference when your playing on the couch on a 4k tv

because going backwards and sticking with 30fps just sound like DF is making excuses.

Bubba T

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
need pro consoles, STAT!

What’s the use of pro consoles when developers still have to account for the lowest common denominator in their games.

gurf

All Star
Supporter
Daps
I don’t expect 4k/60fps for console games. Nor do I expect every game to run at 60.

But if you release a competitive FPS,sports, or racing game at less than 60 you’re going to have people complain.