60fps console games will become increasingly rare, analysts warn gamers

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
I'm always confused why they push 4k so much. I would always select the 1440/60 option if given the chance. It hits the sweet spot for me. Another one that I've seen some insomniac games do is the 4k/40 option and use VRR to stabilize it.
It’s not the resolution at this point. Recent Games with performance mode are running them at below 1080p and still can’t hold 60fps.

It’s basically like, If you want last gen graphics and gameplay you can have 60fps. If you want advances in graphics and tech, the games are probably not gonna be 60fps on consoles.

IIVI

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Los Angeles
Like most things tech, software, science, etc. there are tradeoffs and no silver bullets.

Unless you happen to find solutions to some fundamentals problems our best minds constantly seek to find, expect there to be tradeoffs and design decisions that won't please everyone.

Something may be optimized for speed, but then it won't be optimized for space and vice-versa. It takes time to fill space.

"Good enough" is fine 99% of the time because I know the other side doesn't have the most optimal form of whatever tech either, unless they've somehow solved some of life's biggest problems. Don't fall for some snake oil marketers sell you.

Last edited:

Rekkapryde

GT, LWO, 49ERS, BRAVES, HAWKS, N4O...yeah UMAD!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TYRONE GA!
It’s not the resolution at this point. Recent Games with performance mode are running them at below 1080p and still can’t hold 60fps.

It’s basically like, If you want last gen graphics and gameplay you can have 60fps. If you want advances in graphics and tech, the games are probably not gonna be 60fps on consoles.

I believe it's the developer and their engines. The good ones are hitting 1440/60 in "performance" mode.

Marks

as a mountain
Daps
Optimization takes time too. Why spend potentially another year in development getting performance up, squashing bugs etc when art and content complete at 30 means you can ship now. That's corporate bonuses, money etc you're just delaying for you and your team. In the age of early access and patches there's little incentive to hold onto product to shine up.

Scaaar

Superstar
Daps
I believe it's the developer and their engines. The good ones are hitting 1440/60 in "performance" mode.
Yea case in point the last of us part 2 is still one of the better looking games out and some of the enemy ai and mechanics were ahead of things right now and that was a PS4 pro 1440/60 game. So it's the quality/talent of the developers as well too. My preference will always be for a better overall experience and something new and interesting tech wise then them pushing out graphics. The ray tracing is the biggest culprit. The tech just isn't there especially on consoles but they push it just to say they have it and game experiences suffer as a result

Rekkapryde

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TYRONE GA!
Yea case in point the last of us part 2 is still one of the better looking games out and some of the enemy ai and mechanics were ahead of things right now and that was a PS4 pro 1440/60 game. So it's the quality/talent of the developers as well too. My preference will always be for a better overall experience and something new and interesting tech wise then them pushing out graphics. The ray tracing is the biggest culprit. The tech just isn't there especially on consoles but they push it just to say they have it and game experiences suffer as a result

Exactly.

The Capcom remakes as well

Guerilla's Decima Engine has been a BEAST for the last decade.

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
This is nonsense.

There are no “the good ones”

You got last gen games being able to be run at higher framerates as they should.

Final Fantasy has Ray tracing on by default. The game was built around that lighting system. It would not look as good as it does without being built that way.

There is no toggling it off to reach better performance like in last gen games. As games are built around new technology and gameplay experiences, they won’t be able to hold high framerates like cross gen games did.

The same people who complain about cross gen games and how the games on the new consoles aren’t “next gen” enough. Are now complaining that the “next gen” games aren’t running at the same framerates as the last gen ones.

Just dumb shyt all around :martin:

Khalil's_Black_Excellence

The King of Fighters
Daps
Reppin
Phoenix, AZ
I'm always confused why they push 4k so much. I would always select the 1440/60 option if given the chance. It hits the sweet spot for me. Another one that I've seen some insomniac games do is the 4k/40 option and use VRR to stabilize it.
Yeah, I'll take either of those over 30, if they're alternatively available.

Rekkapryde

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TYRONE GA!
This is nonsense.

There are no “the good ones”

You got last gen games being able to be run at higher framerates as they should.

Final Fantasy has Ray tracing on by default. The game was built around that lighting system. It would not look as good as it does without being built that way.

There is no toggling it off to reach better performance like in last gen games. As games are built around new technology and gameplay experiences, they won’t be able to hold high framerates like cross gen games did.

The same people who complain about cross gen games and how the games on the new consoles aren’t “next gen” enough. Are now complaining that the “next gen” games aren’t running at the same framerates as the last gen ones.

Just dumb shyt all around :martin:

i disagree :yeshrug:

spliz

SplizThaDon
Daps
Reppin
NY all day..Da Stead & BK..
need pro consoles, STAT!

this is the platform holders fault, really. They over promised on 60fps in order to upsell cross-gen games as “next gen” and now that current gen games are coming out they gotta walk back those promises and now people are confused as that was one of the defining features for the past 3 years.

They got us hooked on 60 they need to continue to deliver either through optimization magic or pro consoles
It’s simple. As the console gen gets further in they gonna have to sacrifice resolution and bullshyt ray tracing. Games don’t need to be native 4k to look fire. Ray Tracing is damn near useless. I been telling nikkas that real high end pc gamers understand this fact for years. Lol

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
It’s simple. As the console gen gets further in they gonna have to sacrifice resolution and bullshyt ray tracing. Games don’t need to be native 4k to look fire. I been telling nikkas that real high end pc gamers understand this fact for years. Lol

I don’t care about 4k, but they need to be designing games around higher frame rates

Bubba T

Superstar
Supporter
Daps

They have to justify upgrading TVs. Remember Sony is also a big TV manufacturer.