6 out of 10 Americans have less than $500 in their savings account; how about you?f

mamba

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Underdeveloped Minds Research Institute
I'd be curious to see more longitudinal studies that track financial habits versus social media use.

My theory is that, as one engages more on social media, the desire to project certain images drives financial decisions.

People buy shyt they don't really need with money they don't have to impress people they barely know or like!

It becomes a vicious cycle. Others, in that person's social network circle, do likewise in an effort to jockey for online cool points.

As @Matt504 so perfectly articulates, the showing off piece amplifies, especially for Black people.

The end result is you get the weird phenomenon @Supreme Leader Reinscarf describes in my signature.

If you looked at Instagram you'd think the black household income was like 200k

But, based on empirical data, we know that's not the case. So, a lot of people are buying more house than they can afford, more car than they can afford, paying for vacations they cannot afford, wardrobes they cannot afford, dining out at places they cannot afford, etc.

All for what? To keep up with the online Joneses?

Remember when it was cool to just chill out on a Saturday or Sunday morning? Now, you get up, log on to social media and see all your peeps eating fancy brunches or sipping on mimosas. Or, they've taken some spur-of-the-moment weekend trip. Now, you feel compelled to change your weekend plans to keep up.

The FOMO mindset, driven by social media, has people out here making terrible financial decisions.

This is espcially dangerous in the Black community, as we don't typically have the disposable income to justify the crazy spending levels.

Last edited:

Matt504

YSL as a gang must end
Daps
I'd be curious to see more longitudinal studies that track financial habits versus social media use.

My theory is that, as one engages more on social media, the desire to project certain images drives financial decisions.

People buy shyt they don't really need with money they don't have to impress people they barely know or like!

It becomes a vicious cycle. Others, in that person's social network circle, do likewise in an effort to jockey for online cool points.

As @Matt504 so perfectly articulates, the showing off piece amplifies, especially for Blacl people.

The end result is you get the weird phenomenon @Supreme Leader Reinscarf describes in my signature.

This is one of the reasons I stopped using instagram a few years ago, it started to become stressful and looking back at my profile without any context, you would think I was living a very comfortable life making a nice salary but such was not the case.

I left that shyt alone and quit posting cold turkey, when I did, I started to observe other people in my life more closely and noting my observations.

mamba

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
This is one of the reasons I stopped using instagram a few years ago, it started to become stressful and looking back at my profile without any context, you would think I was living a very comfortable life making a nice salary but such was not the case.

I left that shyt alone and quit posting cold turkey, when I did, I started to observe other people in my life more closely and noting my observations.

Good move.

I don't fool with it much, either.

People don't realize how easy it is to have your behavior modified by the social pull of social media. Companies understand this. Governments are starting to understand this.

Social media is the most effective form of social control in the 21st century.

mamba

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
The Way You Laid Everything Out It Sounds Like You're Broke And Getting Married Via Debt

You're Gonna Resent That Marriage When You're Still Making Payments On It 5 Years From Now

I agree.

@brother walt , if you're going to proceed with the marriage, please do it in the cheapest way possible, breh.

Don't put yourself $10k more in the hole for a one-day ceremony.

BrehWyatt

Let me work.
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
#TSC
You can do it. Just setup an automatic transfer. If you can never touch the money, you will not miss it.

This has been the biggest key in me rebuilding my savings after a wave of car repairs wiped out my little money pad. I always time mine to hit every paycheck so when that hits my account, the savings gets its cut at the same time.

Pay yourself first.

Houston911

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
-160.45 savings
54.00 checking
22.00 available credit on cc
bank of America
:mjcry:

-546.00 money market account
Amoco credit union :sadcam:

getting married September 30th,honey moon October 1-4

Get married at the court house

Skip the honeymoon until y'all have some money

Matter fact, unless you have kids with this woman, cancel the wedding and go get a chick with some paper.

n00bsauce

Pro
Daps
You can do it. Just setup an automatic transfer. If you can never touch the money, you will not miss it.
Yeah, I started getting sloppy as of late, but I think this week is on a turn around. I hope all the random expenses has come to a halt.

fukking $200+ vet bill... Dog just had to get worms eating random chicken bones. :aicmon:

MikelArteta

Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Top 4
You go on instagram and see a dude posting a flashy car, stacks of money, a Gucci bag etc it affects your mindset thinking you need this and that's same if you hop on Facebook and your single and Every one of your friends are posting photos of their happy relationships.

Good move.

I don't fool with it much, either.

People don't realize how easy it is to have your behavior modified by the social pull of social media. Companies understand this. Governments are starting to understand this.

Social media is the most effective form of social control in the 21st century.