'4 Your Eyez Only' is J Cole's best album.

NV-ME

Make It Hot-ta
Daps
Reppin
FiyaStarter
the truly yours series is his best balance of work, imo. he was becoming more conscious, but still had that ratchet edge. best of both worlds. kenny lofton, stay, crunchtime.

btw, still wish he pressed up that letterman performance. watched it last week. still goosebumps.

CrimsonTider

Seduce & Scheme
WOAT
Daps
the truly yours series is his best balance of work, imo. he was becoming more conscious, but still had that ratchet edge. best of both worlds. kenny lofton, stay, crunchtime.

btw, still wish he pressed up that letterman performance. watched it last week. still goosebumps.
That’s why Born Sinner is so good. It was the perfect mix Of conscious and fun

there’s no fun on 4YEO it’s just blah

aSniperJones

films & fitness
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Washington, DC
Can’t call it, but it’s far from garbage! Middling at the very least, but even that’s a reach when you actually understand the relevance of the title track ‘4 Your Eyez Only’ to the entire composition. Cole is essential rapping an entire album with lyrics penned by his homie that ultimately meets his demise. This is an incredible feat; the level of introspect is astonishing.

If you listen to ’4 Your Eyez Only’ [album] as a letter from a dead friend, the album is better appreciated and understood.

As 4YEO album ages and years pass I think a lot of people will share a similar sentiment as the OP.

Last edited:

HiiiPower

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Can’t call it, but it’s far from garbage! Middling at the very least, but even that’s a reach when you actually understand the relevance of the title track ‘4 Your Eyez Only’ to the entire composition. Cole is essential rapping an entire album with lyrics penned by his homie that ultimately meets his demise. This is an incredible feat; the level of introspect is astonishing.

If you listen to ’4 Your Eyez Only’ [album] as a letter from a dead friend, the album is better appreciated and understood.

As 4YEO album ages and years past I think a lot of people will share a similar sentiment as the OP.
Breh, we all understood the concept, it just wasn’t very good

GeeEffKay

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
FHD quite easily. But his mixtapes have always been leagues above pretty much all his albums.

x-factor7

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Detroit
I need to revisit it, because I consistently have FHD, Born Sinner and KOD in rotation. I tried giving it a few chances when it came out and never went back to it, and just thought "Cole is allowed to have a wack album :ehh:"