'4 Your Eyez Only' is J Cole's best album.

Hyperion

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
The Land of The North
I have to run this album back, I remember the last song being the standout but I don’t remember much besides that one.

fhd always had a winter feel to it to me so I always would play it when it gets cold.

It helps that he dropped that on December 9th too, so that may be why.

I think the reason why 4YEO gets slept on so much is because of just how low-energy a lot of the album is. It's a really focused album, but because of the album's direction in terms of sound and feeling (as well as the subject matter), it's so melancholic that some people don't really vibe with it. It also doesn't help that this was the next album after 2014 Forest Hills Drive, and that album was a lot more easier to digest in terms of subject matter and sound.

I enjoyed the album, but it's a complete shift in tone compared to his previous work.

DapMeUp!

Superstar
Daps
The title track is special and should have really been on a separate album altogether.

It gets lost being on a lackluster album like this.

Izanami

Superstar
Daps
The thing I liked about that album was that by rapping from another perspective, he eliminated one of the biggest flaws of himself as a rapper. Cole's music is so singular and focused on his perspective, what he thinks, etc. Me, me me. When you do that while also being "conscious" it becomes easy to come off judgmental or just annoying. The few concept songs he did where he rapped from other perspectives felt very one note. Lights Please is like the classic track that started it all for him...but that shyt always felt paper thin and one note to me. Almost like a soulless attempt at making a Nas song.

4YEO has flaws, but the concept and that last track really give it more feeling than his other albums for me. He finally creates a fully developed concept/person who feels like a real person. I thought he did this well on his next album (KoD) well, especially that track about his mother. He's improving. Some rappers just do that shyt effortlessly out the gate like Common/Nas/Kendrick/etc, because they're introspective and evocative lyricists. Cole strikes me more as a punchline rapper who gained consciousness and started evolving on the mic.

Your not familiar with Coles catalog he always been good at painting pictures and rapping from others perspective.

Izanami

Superstar
Daps
The album is pretty dope. Cole really showed growth and maturity. Folding Clothes really connects once your about to get married imo. I feel like she’s mine will really connect more once I have my first seed.

I revisited the album a couple weeks ago the pac influences really stood out. From the hook on Deja Vu and immortal. Dope the way Cole paid homage.

HiiiPower

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
No it isn't :mjlol:

Immortal, Ville Mentality & Neighbours are cool, and the title track is classic Cole, but the rest is really forgettable, He made two huge mistakes with this album..

1. Dropping two tracks as promo that were better than most of the album, but didn’t put them on the album

2. Dropped a “Making Of the Album” video before the album dropped, that included a bunch of production that sounded better than most of the beats on the album, that once again were nowhere to be found on the album

FHD > KOD > BS > 4YEO/CW:SS

Last edited:

Piff Perkins

Veteran
Daps
Your not familiar with Coles catalog he always been good at painting pictures and rapping from others perspective.
Been listening since the second mixtape and used to be a stan before that first album came out. Nah, he often created one note characters, and his women perspectives were especially weird.

CrimsonTider

Seduce & Scheme
WOAT
Daps
I love Change
That song has a feature :beli:
The album is pretty dope. Cole really showed growth and maturity. Folding Clothes really connects once your about to get married imo. I feel like she’s mine will really connect more once I have my first seed.

I revisited the album a couple weeks ago the pac influences really stood out. From the hook on Deja Vu and immortal. Dope the way Cole paid homage.

She’s mine part 1 and part 2 are the worse songs of his career

The Ruler 09

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
True, it's his best album, the others were all too inconsistent, overall this was very good.

Mike the Executioner

What went on up there? Poppers and weird sex!
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn, New York
I don't remember anything from this album, except for on "Folding Clothes" where he talks about drinking almond milk and catching up on his Netflix shows. :unimpressed:

I get that "Everybody Dies" and "False Prophets" didn't fit the tone of the album, but they were far more memorable songs and still stick out to me now. Also, "High for Hours" was a great song that he dropped after the album came out. Almost makes me believe that 4YEO should have been a double album. :hubie:

By the way, does anyone remember that part from the documentary where Cole's making a beat with the Stevie Wonder sample, and then Ron Gilmore comes in with the live piano? Shame we'll never get to hear it used for anything. :mjcry: