4 rich friends take a picture, not a single pair of Jordans in sight

Mr. Jack Napier

#MambaForever
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Empire State
01%20The%20Fresh%20Prince%20of%20Bel-Air%20will%20smith%20nike%20air%20jordan%205%20gq%20august%202020.jpg

DA7cvuYXkAAlLKf.jpg

DA67nQ6WAAEYxhA.jpg

DA7KFuaW0AEcIPU.jpg

3.jpg

/ thread.

Yo Mama

...the sweeter the juice.
Daps
Reppin
Your dreams
Owning my own spot at an early age probably saved me from my own consumerism. It turned me into a cheapskate of sorts.

I was my own buyer and having to go to low end and high end vendors and those in-between showed me a lot...

I'd be in there selling "blingy" stuff while wearing simple chinos, shirt, sneakers and blazers. And I'd see the amount women spent to have a new outfit at the club/party/church next week. Of course I wanted their dollars so I just smilled and offered to ring up their stuff.

Legal

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
nikka what? :mjlol:

Basically

People wore a variety of kicks...plus a pair of J's might have gotten your ass killed in 1991

I remember because I wanted them as a kid and my folks were like NOPE!!

I don't know if it was like this everywhere, but least where I grew up, the threat of getting you shyt ran forced variety and inventiveness into a lot of fits. Plenty a breh wanted a Starter jacket or some Jordans and got rejected because their parents thought they were going to get fukked up over them.

ExodusNirvana

Change is inevitable...
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn, NY
I don't know if it was like this everywhere, but least where I grew up, the threat of getting you shyt ran forced variety and inventiveness into a lot of fits. Plenty a breh wanted a Starter jacket or some Jordans and got rejected because their parents thought they were going to get fukked up over them.
Just getting a Jansport in 1991 was a big deal for me...and even that was an issue because of Jansport strings

Dudes were getting jumped, fukked up, all sorts of shyt for them strings

A kid rolling around with dumb strings on his Jansport in Flatbush in the 1990's meant:

1. Dude got the protection for such endeavors. Older brothers or cousins that will fukk YOU up if you take his strings.

2. You run nikkas for their strings on the bus or the train or the courts or schoolyard

Dro_Pesci

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn
Just getting a Jansport in 1991 was a big deal for me...and even that was an issue because of Jansport strings

A kid rolling around with dumb strings on his Jansport in Flatbush in the 1990's meant:

1. Dude got the protection for such endeavors. Older brothers or cousins that will fukk YOU up if you take his strings.

2. You run nikkas for their strings on the bus or the train or the courts or schoolyard
Man i forgot all about them jansport strings:ohhh:

Any fly shyt you had in the 90s you had to hold it down. TNF bubble coats, jays, Avirex jackets:wow:. shyt was a wild time

SNYC

Black American in NYC (yes, we exist 😲)
Daps
Reppin
BK & BX
Before the Jordan craze, there was more brands being worn...Fila, Reebok, Nike, Asics, Converse, Adidas, Puma, British Knights, LA Gear, etc

*Edit* shout-out to my classmate that wore LA Gear & was clowned all semester :francis:

The memories of HS!!! :lolbron:

It was the 90s version of snatching Lee patches

Securing your bag by putting an arm strap on the seat pole in class

Years later, Jansport re-designed the strings

Daps
Reppin
ATL paid.. Cali blazed
Owning my own spot at an early age probably saved me from my own consumerism. It turned me into a cheapskate of sorts.

I was my own buyer and having to go to low end and high end vendors and those in-between showed me a lot...

I'd be in there selling "blingy" stuff while wearing simple chinos, shirt, sneakers and blazers. And I'd see the amount women spent to have a new outfit at the club/party/church next week. Of course I wanted their dollars so I just smilled and offered to ring up their stuff.
What year was this?