32 hour 4 day work week study was a huge success in the U.K.

Pool_Shark

Can’t move with me in this digital space
Daps
4 day weeks and hybrid working is the future. I work for a financial services company but my boss has a policy that no meetings are allowed on Monday mornings and Friday afternoons so we can ease into the work week and wind down for the weekend better. As a result, everyone in the team has her back 100% because she cares about us as people.

It was trialed across multiple sectors and is based on a standard 9-5 working day (with an hour break for lunch)

Here’s the report - https://autonomy.work/wp-content/uploads/2023/02/The-results-are-in-The-UKs-four-day-week-pilot.pdf
I'd be all for it and definitely willing to try it out. But you know at times it can be difficult to illustrate that less means more in a corporate environment.

• Dap
Reactions: EA

Vandelay

Life is absurd. Lean into it.
Daps
Reppin
Phi Chi Connection
I like it. Don't know if it can work across the board, but I think most job roles could do it. I definitely would be way more efficient with 4 8's. Would definitely have tertiary effects like family planning.

Still Benefited

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Would never happen en masse in North America

Americans are catching on

funny-robertdeniro.gif

EA

A Pound & A Prayer
Daps
Reppin
London, UK
I'd be all for it and definitely willing to try it out. But you know at times it can be difficult to illustrate that less means more in a corporate environment.

A lot of companies in financial sector are having higher levels of attrition because people aren’t trying to work in jobs that require 10 hour days anymore. People 40 and under don’t place the same importance on working long hours as the previous generation so companies will have no choice but to adapt otherwise they’re going to struggle to recruit.

Anecdotally, I know someone that worked in HR for Nomura and she said they were struggling to hire graduates because the company was still insisting on full time working in the office and these youngsters aren’t trying to hear that.

morris

Superstar
Daps
CEOs want to become billionaires today before a certain age ..so good luck with that being instituted here.

They're already trying to erase remote work.

Greed+Control=Record profits, and not for the workers

Genos

Superstar
Daps
I'll say it till the end of time, 6 hours a day, 4 days a week would have the most productive workforce of all time. 40 hours is for the birds, I was doing minimum effort and would take so many short cuts just to make it to Friday. 4 6's would have me productive as hell

Scustin Bieburr

Baby baybee baybee UUUGH
Daps
In some Europeans countries like Finland and Denmark I see this being the norm.

The cruelty is the point in America. These companies know all of this, they pay people to study these things internally and give reports. Having a certain level of money and power over people rots your brain. When you're presented with rational options, you'll ignore those options and continue doing what you've been doing that doesn't work because you haven't been made to experience the consequences of your behavior.

If an alcoholic has an unlimited budget, he won't see his alcoholism as a problem. It's not getting in the way of his work because he's independently wealthy. He isn't at risk of losing his housing because he owns it and his bills are all autopay. Sure his home literally looks like a fukking garbage dump, his body is disgusting from neglecting his hygiene and his liver is a ticking time bomb, but as far as he's concerned everything is okay. He is not feeling immediate consequences for his addiction so he has zero reason to change.

Wealth in america is similar. If you were a rational capitalist and not one whose brain has been melted by excessive profits to the point where money is meaningless--you would be in favor of whatever helps your workers stay working, keeps them happy, and keeps you paid. In America though where Capitalism is being left to run rampant, you suffer from wealth poisoning, gain a virtually unlimited budget and stop making rational decisions.

If there is a higher federal minimum wage, this allows more people to afford products and services--They oppose this.
If there were unions, skilled employees would remain in the company for longer since they'd have more protections--They oppose this.
Shorter work weeks would mean more time for people to go out and spend money on products and services--They oppose this.
A public option would mean companies spending less on offering health insurance--They oppose this.

"I'm a capitalist, but I oppose measures that would allow more people to participate in capitalism"
"I don't care how much harder the frontline employees work. I deserve more money as an individual than 10 of them make"

Those two thoughts basically sums up the average mindset of a manager in America. It's completely irrational and only makes sense if you have the mindset of an addict who needs to get his fix. "enough" is not a word that exists in the vocabulary of an addict. I can't have enough alcohol in my blood. I can't inject enough heroin. I can't sniff enough cocaine. The only thing that makes an addict stop consuming their substance of choice is when they physically can't consume any more or are made to stop by a third party. The European union and some countries in it are like a bar with a bar tender and security that will cut you off and drag you out when you've had enough and start getting belligerent and really for your own good. America is a bar where the alcoholic has a gun, the bar has no security, and the bar tender has to keep pouring up or else the alcoholic will shoot him and just drink everything in the building.