28 Days of Black History: Day 4 Toussaint Louverture and the Haitian Revolution

Wiseborn

Superstar
Daps
Well dayum! Brotha wasn’t playin no reindeer games!:picard:
You have to remember that while slavery was fukked up everywhere Haiti was the richest colony because they totally brutalized Haitians, You did not want to be a slave on a sugar plantation. First of all all you ate was sugar cane and people routinely died falling into boiling sugar.

Jeannot was NOT Playing Games back then people carried flags into battle, Jeannot's "Flag" was a white baby's head on a stick. Toussaint wanted to make peace with the French and Jeannot said I'll make peace I'll use a white man's skin as the pachment and his skull as the inkwell and we'll write the treaty in his blood.

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
I remember Danny glover was supposed to drop a film
Oooooooh that’s exciting! Gee I wonder why there’s never been a real movie depicting it:sas2:

Glover is a well respected supporter and champion of Haiti, and of Black people globally.

Hugo Chavez was going to give him the full funding to make the film. Haiti is closely tied to Venezuela's fight for independence.

Danny Glover, Hugo Chavez Ink $20 Million Movie Deal

United States govt blocked it from happening, and he was never able to get financing for the project.

The closest thing was a miniseries that aired in France starring Jimmy Jean Louis.

No English dubbed version of it exists.

Wiseborn

Superstar
Daps
Danny Glover tried for years. But According to Danny nobody in Hollywood would finance the film. Reason being was that there were no white saviors in the Haitian revolution storyline , so they didn’t think the film would be profitable.:francis:
You think that they would allow Black people to be inspired? To even think that this is possible? The Haitan revolution was a staright up race war. If the french caught up they literally had attack dogs eat you alive. It was either slavery or death.

Wiseborn

Superstar
Daps
Glover is a well respected supporter and champion of Haiti, and of Black people globally.

Hugo Chavez was going to give him the full funding to make the film. Haiti is closely tied to Venezuela's fight for independence.

Danny Glover, Hugo Chavez Ink $20 Million Movie Deal

United States govt blocked it from happening, and he was never able to get financing for the project.

The closest thing was a miniseries that aired in France starring Jimmy Jean Louis.

Danny better be careful. If it one thing that will make you have an äccident" is siding with anyone to make white people look bad.

mastermind

Rest In Power Kobe
Daps
:ohhh:

Expound...
The complex, contradictory, and revolutionary life of Toussaint Louverture

From what I’ve read it seemed like he was just playing European powers against each other and feigning support. I wouldn’t doubt there being elements of self-hate given the psychological impact of enslavement on blks during that period, but it hardly tarnishes his legacy and what he did for his country and people.:yeshrug:
I’m not tarnishing his legacy. But he did own slaves and even said he had “the soul of a white man.”

And he did want Haiti to stay part of France. He is a lot more complex than we want to say, but Dessalines was more of the rebellious one between the two and the guy who actually lead the rebellion to completion.

Wiseborn

Superstar
Daps
The complex, contradictory, and revolutionary life of Toussaint Louverture

I’m not tarnishing his legacy. But he did own slaves and even said he had “the soul of a white man.”

And he did want Haiti to stay part of France. He is a lot more complex than we want to say, but Dessalines was more of the rebellious one between the two and the guy who actually lead the rebellion to completion.
Yeah he had the c00n spirt and he was in france for a long time. Had the french not double crossed him and jailed him he probably would've went full c00n. but when they crossed him that was his nikka wake up call.

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
From what I’ve read it seemed like he was just playing European powers against each other and feigning support. I wouldn’t doubt there being elements of self-hate given the psychological impact of enslavement on blks during that period, but it hardly tarnishes his legacy and what he did for his country and people.:yeshrug:
Have a lot of people blocked. Seems like you're responding to one of the members of the Google and Giggle set.
Those are a group of people who don't know what they're talking about 75% of the time. They cite books they haven't read, misquote historians based on YouTube clips, and generally repeat the takes of other people instead of forming their own opinions.

They get run out of threads in The Root section all the time.

Bunchy Carter

I'll Take The Money Over The Honey
Daps
Reppin
Triple O.G. Bunchy Carter
This good history that people need to know.

This post is sponsored by King Flex Entertainment and right now you can purchase 1804: The Hidden History of Haiti on Amazon now.....

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.

old-toussaint_louverture.0.jpg