28 Days of Black History: Day 4 Toussaint Louverture and the Haitian Revolution

⠝⠕⠏⠑

Veteran
Daps
He Played to Multiple Bases
toussaint-louverture-gettyimages-556635323.jpg

François Dominique Toussaint Louverture, painted by George De Baptiste, 1875.

Universal History Archive/Universal Images Group/Getty Images

To revitalize a local economy torn by conflict, Toussaint had to leverage his considerable political skills to reconcile the conflicting interests of Saint-Domingue’s racial, class, religious and cultural orders. Judging the resources of the merchant and planter classes as integral to rebuilding Saint-Domingue, Toussaint extended generous restitution policies in the name of republican fraternity, going so far as to punish any acts of retribution against former slaveholders. This ensured him a loyal base of allies who did his bidding at regional and international levels. Under his stewardship, Saint-Domingue initiated a robust civic overhaul and public-works projects that created roads, widened canals and improved public sanitation.

That extensive leniency to white citizens, alongside his increasingly autocratic measures to compel Black citizens to work on plantations, corroded his standing among the Black majority. Still, through much of his tenure as governor, he worked vigorously to safeguard their interests and ensure they were now paid for their labor. He traveled extensively to quell internal unrest, relying on his deep cultural ties and Afro-spiritualist cues to reinforce his image as their defender. Under his stewardship, thanks in large part to the efforts of the black masses, the island’s agricultural cultivation was restored up to two-thirds to what it had been prior to the 1791 uprisings, according to Toussaint’s biographer C.L.R. James.

⠝⠕⠏⠑

Veteran
Daps
I learned recently that he wanted to stay French and kind of a Tom.

Jean-Jacques Dessalines was the real hero
From what I’ve read it seemed like he was just playing European powers against each other and feigning support. I wouldn’t doubt there being elements of self-hate given the psychological impact of enslavement on blks during that period, but it hardly tarnishes his legacy and what he did for his country and people.:yeshrug:

⠝⠕⠏⠑

Veteran
Daps
No one can tell me that Haitians aren't riders. They not only librated Hispanola but when Bolivar needed help against the Spanish The Haitans stepped up On the Condition that he ended Slavery

That's not all They even gave a Haven to ADOS who wanted to get free:
Expedition Magazine - Penn Museum
Ayyyye! Gotta love it!

Wiseborn

Superstar
Daps
From what I’ve read it seemed like he was just playing European powers against each other and feigning support. I wouldn’t doubt there being elements of self-hate given the psychological impact of enslavement on blks during that period, but it hardly tarnishes his legacy and what he did for his country and people.:yeshrug:
The real hero is Jennot Bullet
Jeannot - Wikipedia

Can't talk about him though he openly advocated for the death all all crackers no exceptions.

Wiseborn

Superstar
Daps
Ayyyye! Gotta love it!
The haitians of the revolution generations were the Most On Code Black people ever. But the successful revolution was the third try the others failed because c00ns and half whites made deals with cacs so finally the answer was if they even Thought you were a sellout you died. Besides the french were extremely brutal to the Haitans sending attack dogs lead my c00ns from Martinque on them.

That's why when they went to Santiago in the Domincan Republic and they saw white people they didn't ask any questions they just massacred them.