2022 Midterm Elections: NO RED WAVE! - GOP Takes U.S. House; Dems Keep U.S. Senate

mitter

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Bigger L would have been stacking up a few more Senate seats. :francis:

I don't think people realize how ugly the Senate picture is looking the next couple of cycles. In 2024 the Dems have to defend 23 senate seats, the Republicans only have to defend 10. Seats the democrats are defending include Joe Manchin in West Virginia as well as seats in Arizona, Montana, Nevada, Wisconsin, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Michigan, and Maine. Meanwhile, the most flippable seat the Republicans have to defend is.....Texas? Florida?

Being stuck at 50 right now would be terrible, because it basically means that if Joe Manchin doesn't run for reelection (or switches to the Republicans, or loses his election), then the Democrats just about automatically lose the Senate in 2024. Even if they hit 51, that would mean if Manchin leaves then they have to go 8 for 8 in holding onto the battleground states (and will Tester run again in Montana? Could be fukked there too.) Even if they get 51 and Manchin holds his seat, they still can only lose 1 of those 8 battlegrounds.

So it's virtually impossible for the Democrats to pick up Senate seats in 2024, and there's a dozen different combinations that could have them losing the Senate altogether. Which either means total gridlock if Dems still squeak out the White House, or Desantis with Senate power.

2026 isn't much better. Dems have to defend in Colorado, New Mexico, Michigan, Georgia, Virginia, and New Hampshire. Republicans have to defend in Montana, Maine, North Carolina....and I guess Iowa? Hopefully 4 more years of demographic shift will make that year a fairer fight, but if they fall behind in 2024 then it will still be a very tough road to get it back in 2026.

Wow. Dems really are fukked.

I feel confident they can hold Pennsylvania, Michigan, Maine, and Nevada (though all of them will take a lot of effort).

I feel less confident about Ohio. How long can Brown keep winning in a state that has been steadily moving to the right?

I don't know what to say about Arizona with Synema.

Montana and WV are as good as gone, IMO.

This is why many of this year's losses are painful. The senate is so tilted in favor of Republicans (with more small, conservative states). They have to have two senators from EVERY state that they are capable of carrying in a presidential election (like Wisconsin). And they need to be getting at least one senator in the states in which they can come close (NC, for example).

It's really crazy how quickly some states can move to the right.

WV was one of the most reliably Dem states up until 2000. But by the mid 2000s, it was completely gone. Missouri was the quintessential swing state, now it is a lost cause for Dems. Arkansas had two Dem senators in 2010 and still had one until 2014. I doubt it will have any Dem senators for the rest of my lifetime. Iowa seemed like it had become a reliable blue state during Obama's presidency, but now it seems reliably Republican. Ohio and (especially) Florida seem increasingly out of reach.

Thankfully, some of this has been counteracted by certain states moving to the center-left. Virginia is a good example. Georgia gives me some hope. We need to get over the top in states like NC and TX.

Last edited:

MushroomX

Packers Stockholder
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Wisconsin
He's officially the elderly man whose room you pass in a nursing home and he's just randomly hurling slurs and swears to no one :dead:

Senile, c-cup titty having father's disgrace of a beta male

Yeah but at the same time he is the man with the $1 Billion dollar inheritance, so until he croaks, your at his mercy and then you get his money. :russ:

MoneyTron

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta
The bottom line when it comes to the GOP is that they are going to have to:

A) Get rid of Trump and any elected Trump cronies
B) Come up with counter ideas that aren't so extreme that it tips on voters everyday lives like abortion & civil rights along with social security.

Right now Democrats have a solid blueprint w/ protecting abortion, climate change, student loan debts [which is going to be a tough plan], & infrastructure. All Republicans want to do is make extreme cuts to programs with no smart reform ideas.
They haven't had any legitimate ideas in over a decade.

Both A and B seem unlikely. Which is good on some level.

ill_will82

What you see, is what you get
Daps
it's healthcare all over again. "we want to gut Obamacare but we don't have an alternative. Vote for us!" :mjlol:
Exactly. The healthcare system is already a mess in American as is just leave the system alone. Just like with Social Security they (Repubs) want ppl to re-apply like every 5 yrs and move the qualifying age from 62 to 70. Just leave the shyt alone b/c they fukking up the system for ppl who paid into it and for actual disabled ppl.

ill_will82

Daps
They haven't had any legitimate ideas in over a decade.

Both A and B seem unlikely. Which is good on some level.
Yeah I kinda figured the Republicans was running on steam with their ideas in 2008 when McCain was running against Obama.

Daps
Reppin
49ers..Braves..Celtics
These doom and gloom posts are retarded. GOP has nothing independent voters wants. Few years ago if u said Dems would be winning statewide elections in GA most people wouldn't have believed it.

Dems can cont. to win in AZ and Nevada. They can win in PA and Maine easily. North Carolina has the demos.. they just need more resources. Wisconsin isn't a lost cause either.

Florida and Ohio are probably done but the electoral map favors Dems and esp. in Presidential years they can churn out the vote and gain independents.

ill_will82

Daps
Trump has so much power within the GOP. They can't just get rid of him.

He would start a third party run out of spite.
Correct. Well the GOP themselves can distance themselves from Trump but for the Republicans to be rid of "Trump-ism" the rest of it's representatives have to be voted out by voters. Hell a lot of Republican voters don't even want to vote for Trump anymore. So his grip ain't as tight as it once was.

Outlaw

New Hope For the HaveNotz
Daps
Reppin
Buzz City, NC :blessed:
Wow. Dems really are fukked.

I feel confident they can hold Pennsylvania, Michigan, Maine, and Nevada (though all of them will take a lot of effort).

I feel less confident about Ohio. How long can Brown keep winning in a state that has been steadily moving to the right?

I don't know what to say about Arizona with Synema.

Montana and WV are as good as gone, IMO.

This is why many of this year's losses are painful. The senate is so tilted in favor of Republicans (with more small, conservative states). They have to have two senators from EVERY state that they are capable of carrying in a presidential election (like Wisconsin). And they need to be getting at least one senator in the states in which they can come close (NC, for example).

It's really crazy how quickly some states can move to the right.

WV was one of the most reliably Dem states up until 2000. But by the mid 2000s, it was completely gone. Missouri was the quintessential swing state, now it is a lost cause for Dems. Arkansas had two Dem senators in 2010 and still had one until 2014. I doubt it will have any Dem senators for the rest of my lifetime. Iowa seemed like it had become a reliable blue state during Obama's presidency, but now it seems reliably Republican. Ohio and (especially) Florida seem increasingly out of reach.

Thankfully, some of this has been counteracted by certain states moving to the center-left. Virginia is a good example. Georgia gives me some hope. We need to get over the top in states like NC and TX.
Republicans haven’t won a presidential popular vote in nearly 20 years. It’s too early to be doom and gloom. We have to see how this Republican civil war will pay out. What if Trump makes a viable third party and fractures the conservative vote for the next 20 years?

Reality Check

Keepin' it 100
Daps
These doom and gloom posts are retarded. GOP has nothing independent voters wants. Few years ago if u said Dems would be winning statewide elections in GA most people wouldn't have believed it.

Dems can cont. to win in AZ and Nevada. They can win in PA and Maine easily. North Carolina has the demos.. they just need more resources. Wisconsin isn't a lost cause either.

Florida and Ohio are probably done but the electoral map favors Dems and esp. in Presidential years they can churn out the vote and gain independents.

This is what I've been harping on when it comes to DeSantis. His appeal outside of the new Republican base is limited.