2022 Midterm Elections: NO RED WAVE! - GOP Takes U.S. House; Dems Keep U.S. Senate

MushroomX

Packers Stockholder
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Wisconsin
Some interesting notes from my State's primaries.

Tim Michels (Trump's man, lost a Senate bid in 2004) defeated Rebecca Kleefisch (2x Lt. Governor under Scott Walker, Pence's pick) for GOP Nomination of Governor.

But the biggest surprise is that Robin Vos, arguably the Leader of WI (State Assembly Leader) because of how gerrymandered it is towards the GOP, ALMOST lost his own District Primary to a Trump pick by 200 votes, Adam Steen.

FAH1223

Go Wizards, Go Terps, Go Packers!
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
WASHINGTON, DC

Maybe but Pelosi has endorsed her twice now.

Tim Michels (Trump's man, lost a Senate bid in 2004) defeated Rebecca Kleefisch (2x Lt. Governor under Scott Walker, Pence's pick) for GOP Nomination of Governor.

But the biggest surprise is that Robin Vos, arguably the Leader of WI (State Assembly Leader) because of how gerrymandered it is towards the GOP, ALMOST lost his own District Primary to a Trump pick by 200 votes, Adam Steen.
Does Mandela have a shot to unseat RonJon :mjcry:

How does Evers look vs. Michels?

Don De Dieu

Standing in the sun getting black as I want
Daps
Reppin
Milwaukee

What's wild about the Vos result to me is that Mike Gableman - the clown he's paying $10k a month to "investigate" the election - endorsed Steen. Just for the fukkery, I wished he lost.

MushroomX

Packers Stockholder
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Wisconsin

Alex Lasry dropped out two weeks before the election as he saw the writing on the wall, and he was in #2 from the Polls. Barnes was going to win it, so from the Democratic side, this feels like "This is the person we want to beat Ron."

As for Evers and Michels, I think the same goes for Mandela, its really all about the GOP. In that we are not infighting, but on the Republican side, you have RonJon and Michels (Both Trump); does the Republican base still vote for Trump's people in the Midterms?

I mean the whole Vos thing is very interesting, as he wasn't backed by Trump, and he barely won yesterday.

I seriously do think Mendela has a shot along with Evers.

Don De Dieu

Daps
Reppin
Milwaukee

Mandela has a real shot to beat RoJo. I'd agree with @MushroomX the election is closer to a referendum on Johnson, so whether it was Barnes, Lasry or Godlewski - you either fukk with RoJo or not. I suspect RoJo's gone too far for most swing voters, so the opportunity is there. Of course, he's going to need money. Johnson is independently wealthy, although he usually relies on donations, not his own pockets. As of now, there's no real dirt on Mandela. There shouldn't be any Gillum shyt. There was super some ticky-tack shyt the media tried to pump up a while ago, but it didn't stick. The opposition will of course, paint him as a wildly out of touch leftist maniac.

Best thing he can do is craft his message and stick to it. I think it should be "I'm much closer to your real-life situation to Ron Johnson is." And that's true to an extent. He doesn't come from money and when I've crossed paths with him, he's pretty genuine. Yes, being Black matters - especially in rural areas. He's tried to connect, but he'll really, really need the urban blue areas (Milwaukee, Madison, Racine, Eau Claire and La Crosse) to turn out for him.

Given the hand he's dealt with - namely a highly gerrymandered legislature that won't help him - Evers has been pretty solid as governor. He has the demeanor of what he is, a 70-year-old school principal, so he isn't flashy. While Evers has a decent war chest and will get outside help, Michels has long money, as his family owns the major construction company in the state. However, Michels is as dumb as (possibly dumber than) RoJo, so knocking him off script should be easy. He stands for nothing other what his handlers tell him and many of his current viewpoints run counter to his past. To boot, he doesn't really live in his bumfukk hometown - he actually lives in a $17 million crib in Connecticut, where his kids go to school. I wouldn't sleep on that last point if I was the Evers camp.

There won't be much split-ticket voting on this one, so turnout in those blue centers matter. Either you fukk with Evers as a check to the legislature or you wanna let a bunch of rubes continue to wreck the state.

MushroomX

Packers Stockholder
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Wisconsin
Mandela has a real shot to beat RoJo. I'd agree with @MushroomX the election is closer to a referendum on Johnson, so whether it was Barnes, Lasry or Godlewski - you either fukk with RoJo or not. I suspect RoJo's gone too far for most swing voters, so the opportunity is there. Of course, he's going to need money. Johnson is independently wealthy, although he usually relies on donations, not his own pockets. As of now, there's no real dirt on Mandela. There shouldn't be any Gillum shyt. There was super some ticky-tack shyt the media tried to pump up a while ago, but it didn't stick. The opposition will of course, paint him as a wildly out of touch leftist maniac.

Best thing he can do is craft his message and stick to it. I think it should be "I'm much closer to your real-life situation to Ron Johnson is." And that's true to an extent. He doesn't come from money and when I've crossed paths with him, he's pretty genuine. Yes, being Black matters - especially in rural areas. He's tried to connect, but he'll really, really need the urban blue areas (Milwaukee, Madison, Racine, Eau Claire and La Crosse) to turn out for him.

Given the hand he's dealt with - namely a highly gerrymandered legislature that won't help him - Evers has been pretty solid as governor. He has the demeanor of what he is, a 70-year-old school principal, so he isn't flashy. While Evers has a decent war chest and will get outside help, Michels has long money, as his family owns the major construction company in the state. However, Michels is as dumb as (possibly dumber than) RoJo, so knocking him off script should be easy. He stands for nothing other what his handlers tell him and many of his current viewpoints run counter to his past. To boot, he doesn't really live in his bumfukk hometown - he actually lives in a $17 million crib in Connecticut, where his kids go to school. I wouldn't sleep on that last point if I was the Evers camp.

There won't be much split-ticket voting on this one, so turnout in those blue centers matter. Either you fukk with Evers as a check to the legislature or you wanna let a bunch of rubes continue to wreck the state.

The only thing I will say, after seeing Kansas and their Pro-Abortion win, I think its more of the infighting of MAGA GOP vs. Other GOP. The Roe vs. Wade has fired up the Democrats, and Joe Biden recently has been improving. Yet Republicans in my view have killed their own voters from COVID-19 misinformation, along with planting the seed of 'This election will already be unfair.'

That might persuade some to not vote, along with accidental Voter ID laws restricting them and taking away Absentee Ballot boxes.

Don De Dieu

Daps
Reppin
Milwaukee
The only thing I will say, after seeing Kansas and their Pro-Abortion win, I think its more of the infighting of MAGA GOP vs. Other GOP. The Roe vs. Wade has fired up the Democrats, and Joe Biden recently has been improving. Yet Republicans in my view have killed their own voters from COVID-19 misinformation, along with planting the seed of 'This election will already be unfair.'

That might persuade some to not vote, along with accidental Voter ID laws restricting them and taking away Absentee Ballot boxes.

Totally agree. Like you mentioned, Kleefisch losing and Vos almost losing in his backyard is an example. That Scott Walker-style of Republican (which is odious enough) worked well here, but isn't extreme enough any more. Even Tommy Thompson is trying to tap into that MAGA energy, and dude's arguably the most revered Republican in state history. Aside from being old, Michels would've bodied him if he ran. Van Orden versus Pfaff is another race to watch in that respect. That Driftless/Coulee region used to be purplish and represented by a moderate Dem (Ron Kind) forever, but is going MAGA red quickly.

Obviously, the rhetoric is dangerous but the self cannibalization of GOPers is something I don't mind.