2022 Midterm Elections: NO RED WAVE! - GOP Takes U.S. House; Dems Keep U.S. Senate

Silky Johnson

The Master Investbreh
Daps
Reppin
Hatersbridge, BX
There's a whole lot of meaningless noise right now. The one thing I know about elections is that nobody knows anything at this point in the cycle.

Most people treat elections like the NBA. Right now the regular season is boring, but the casuals will start to pay attention when the playoffs are about to start in September.

42 Monks

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Carolina
There's a whole lot of meaningless noise right now. The one thing I know about elections is that nobody knows anything at this point in the cycle.

Most people treat elections like the NBA. Right now the regular season is boring, but the casuals will start to pay attention when the playoffs are about to start in September.
We know the democrats are about to get smacked. Its just a matter of how bad,

Silky Johnson

The Master Investbreh
Daps
Reppin
Hatersbridge, BX
We know the democrats are about to get smacked. Its just a matter of how bad,
6 months ago we "knew" Putin was just bluffing and we "knew" the market was inky correcting and we weren't going to be in a recession.

We don't even know who is going be disqualified from the ballot yet

42 Monks

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Carolina
People ran the same narrative in 2020 and 2018. :blessed:
When it was easy because the low bar was lower than it has been in generations. There's no Trump to measure against anymore - just direct accountability lol

People typically wait til after mid-terms to jump ship... I don't know why folks are acting like damage control hasn't been the theme for the past 6 months. Its really only something I see here.

Pressure

#PanthersPosse
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
CookoutGang
When it was easy because the low bar was lower than it has been in generations. There's no Trump to measure against anymore - just direct accountability lol

People typically wait til after mid-terms to jump ship... I don't know why folks are acting like damage control hasn't been the theme for the past 6 months. Its really only something I see here.
That mainly been for the senate and the white house.

The members of the house have been doing exactly what they were put in office for. As such I expect most changes from house reps to be a result of redistricting or seats where there are new candidates.

People in my district aren't rushing to dump Alma Adams because Schumer and Biden can't get the senate to do work.

Who is your rep?

Reality Check

Keepin' it 100
Daps
Only question for the midterms is the Senate.

Dems are clearly going to lose 40+ seats in the House.

Wouldn't surprise me if it remains 50/50 or Dems pick up a seat or two. Not trying to ignore Republicans gaining seats, but has to do with the people these Trumpanzees are picking:

• The top of the ticket for Repubs in PA is absolutely brutal with Oz and Mastrano (both not popular at all with State GOP leaders)
  • The same could happen in Arizona with their Governor & Senate candidates if the poll leaders are actually nominated. They tried getting their current Governor to run but he declined and would have been battered by Trump and his minions
  • Herschel Walker can't open his mouth without saying some batshyt crazy thing that isn't in the slightest true.
  • They had a chance with NH but their Governor declined to run.
I think everything else remains status quo for the most part.

42 Monks

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Carolina
6 months ago we "knew" Putin was just bluffing and we "knew" the market was inky correcting and we weren't going to be in a recession.

We don't even know who is going be disqualified from the ballot yet
I'm pretty sure we pulled diplomats out of Ukraine well in advance. And the writing was on the wall regarding inflation in particular within 180 days of Biden being sworn in - and the slow reaction/downplay combo was something highlighted numerous times as well.

I get wanting a good outcome, but being prepared in order to mitigate and limit damage is just as important.
That mainly been for the senate and the white house.

The members of the house have been doing exactly what they were put in office for. As such I expect most changes from house reps to be a result of redistricting or seats where there are new candidates.

People in my district aren't rushing to dump Alma Adams because Schumer and Biden can't get the senate to do work.

Who is your rep?
I'm in DC. My votes mean shyt generally.

I don't know how you can say the House has been doing what they were in office for at all either.... If that's how you feel then your expectations are dramatically lower than most.

Pressure

#PanthersPosse
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
CookoutGang
I'm in DC. My votes mean shyt generally.

I don't know how you can say the House has been doing what they were in office for at all either.... If that's how you feel then your expectations are dramatically lower than most.
Pretty easy. I sit back and look at the countless number of bills that come through the house only to die in the senate and it's been that way for quite some time. So I do understand people's frustrations with Machin, Sinema, Schumer, Biden for not being able to push them over, and the general disdain regarding the filibuster. Here's a sample from 2019 showing how much is dead:

H.R. 1: For the People Act

The For the People Act was House Democrats’ first major legislative package introduced in the new Congress. The bill, which passed in March, features a hodgepodge of policies that the party promoted throughout the 2018 midterm campaign to help secure elections from foreign interference and make them more accessible to voters.

The package aims to require states to provide an online option for voter registration and allow voters to register the same day they go to the polls. It would also require states to automatically register citizens who don’t register themselves.

To protect elections from any foreign meddling, the bill mandates that states use paper ballots and that the Department of Homeland Security evaluate threats to election systems 180 days prior to an election and inform states of their conclusions.

The bill includes campaign finance and ethics reform measures, including mandating presidential candidates release their tax returns.

Amid frustration at McConnell blocking the package, Democrats in May began reportedly considering bringing up portions of the For The People Act for a vote to try to force the Senate to take up individual electoral reform bills.

H.R. 5: The Equality Act

The Equality Act, which was introduced in March and passed in May, seeks to provide comprehensive anti-discrimination protections for LGBTQ Americans in employment, education, federal funding, housing, public accommodations and more.

Though eight Republicans voted for the measure in the House, many in the GOP have come out against the bill amid conservative concerns about infringement of religious liberty.

“In fact, this bill legalizes discrimination — government imposed top-down discrimination against those with time-honored views of marriage and gender,” Rep. Vicky Hartzler (R-Mo.) said on the House floor before the vote.

H.R. 6: The American Dream and Promise Act

The American Dream and Promise Act, which was introduced in March and passed earlier this month, would protect young immigrants who came to the U.S. illegally as children — known as Dreamers — and establish a path to citizenship for more than 2 million immigrants without legal status.

The bill would grant permanent residency with a path to citizenship to more than 2 million immigrants who fall into three categories: Dreamers and some recipients of the temporary protected status and deferred enforced departure programs.

H.R. 7: The Paycheck Fairness Act

The Paycheck Fairness Act was introduced in January and passed in March. It includes provisions that would prohibit employers from asking about prospective employees’ salaries, forbid retaliation against employees who compare wages and mandate employers show that pay discrepancies are based on legitimate factors.

Seven Republican House members voted for its passage.

H.R. 8: The Bipartisan Background Checks Act

The Bipartisan Background Checks Act was introduced in early January and passed the House the following month. Eight Republican House members joined nearly every Democrat in passing the bill in what was the most significant gun control vote in years.

The legislation seeks to expand background check requirements on private sales, including those at gun shows, on the internet or through classified ads.

H.R. 9: The Climate Action Now Act

The Climate Action Now Act was introduced in March and passed in May. Three Republicans supported the bill.

Democrats touted the bill, which, among other things, would block the Trump administration from exiting the Obama-era Paris climate agreement. Many recognized the legislation’s limited scope but said they hoped it would be the first of many pieces of legislation introduced in the House seeking to combat climate change.

H.R. 987: The Strengthening Health Care and Lowering Prescription Drug Costs Act

The Strengthening Health Care and Lowering Prescription Drug Costs Act was introduced in February and passed last month. Five Republicans voted for the measure.

The bill seeks to lower prescription drug prices, bolster the Affordable Care Act and protect care for those with pre-existing conditions.

H.R. 1585: The Violence Against Women Reauthorization Act

The renewal of the Violence Against Women Act was introduced in March and passed in April. One Democrat voted against it, while 33 Republicans broke party lines to back it.

Congress had allowed the act, which provides funding and grants for several programs that tackle domestic abuse, to lapse in February when it was left out of a spending bill ending a partial government shutdown.

The reauthorization includes everything in the original act and includes an expansion of a prohibition against firearm purchases for spouses or formerly married partners convicted of abuse or under a restraining order to include dating partners who were never legally married. The National Rifle Association came out against the act because of the clause.

H.R. 1644: The Save the Internet Act

The Save the Internet Act was introduced in March and passed in April. Just one Republican voted for the bill.

The bill would reverse the Federal Communications Commission’s party-line vote in 2017 to repeal net neutrality, shorthand for the Obama-era rules prohibiting broadband companies from blocking, throttling or prioritizing certain websites.

Advocates say the legislation is needed to prevent internet providers from favoring content from partners and businesses that pay them. Opponents say the effort would burden the internet with government interference.

intra vires

Glory to Michigan
Daps
Reppin
The Catholepistemiad
don't know how you can say the House has been doing what they were in office for at all either.... If that's how you feel then your expectations are dramatically lower than most.
Yes you do, you're a smart guy. The House has been passing bills, they don't control what happens in the Senate which is the issue.

Why be upset with the House when they've upheld their end of the bargain?

42 Monks

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Carolina
Yes you do, you're a smart guy. The House has been passing bills, they don't control what happens in the Senate which is the issue.

Why be upset with the House when they've upheld their end of the bargain?
Pretty easy. I sit back and look at the countless number of bills that come through the house only to die in the senate and it's been that way for quite some time. So I do understand people's frustrations with Machin, Sinema, Schumer, Biden for not being able to push them over, and the general disdain regarding the filibuster. Here's a sample from 2019 showing how much is dead:
I don't know if this is some kind of inside joke or something... but passing bills upwards that have zero chance of going anywhere, then patting yourself on the back while also saying its out of your hands is not exactly something new or indicative of some greater winning strategy at work lol

Silky Johnson

The Master Investbreh
Daps
Reppin
Hatersbridge, BX
I'm pretty sure we pulled diplomats out of Ukraine well in advance. And the writing was on the wall regarding inflation in particular within 180 days of Biden being sworn in - and the slow reaction/downplay combo was something highlighted numerous times as well.

I get wanting a good outcome, but being prepared in order to mitigate and limit damage is just as important.

I'm splitting hairs here but in mid December our diplomats were still in Ukraine. January 23rdish is when we started getting confirmed reports about getting em out. Point being, any predictions that we think we know for sure will change in a matter of weeks.

As I type this, receipts are breaking in regards to the recon tours. There could be an entirely different landscape a month from now.

intra vires

Glory to Michigan
Daps
Reppin
The Catholepistemiad
I don't know if this is some kind of inside joke or something... but passing bills upwards that have zero chance of going anywhere, then patting yourself on the back while also saying its out of your hands is not exactly something new or indicative of some greater winning strategy at work lol
But that's literally what their job is, to pass bills in the House. It's not about a greater strategy, it's about understanding the limits of their power.

What would you like them to do?