2020 Random NFL Thoughts Thread

mozichrome

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
saw an article about coaches in waiting for nfl jobs. had some brothers on list i didnt know of
25 NFL head coaches in waiting (msn.com)
of course we all know Eric Bieniemy name, but wanted to put the folks not really as known in the post

Kris Richard
Richard's career stops have featured some notable success. He served as the Legion of Boom's position coach in Seattle, shepherding that famed secondary to prominence from 2012-14 before taking over as Seahawks defensive coordinator from 2015-17. Seattle deployed a top-three scoring defense in two of Richard's three DC seasons and has declined since his 2018 exit. As Dallas' secondary coach, Richard turned Byron Jones from a decent safety to a top-tier boundary corner. While not with a team this season, Richard is just 41 and should have a near-future path back to head-coaching interviews.

Aaron Glenn
It is easy to forget how bad the Saints pass defense was in the mid-2010s. They bottomed out by allowing a record 45 TD passes in 2015. In his fifth year as New Orleans' secondary coach, Glenn has helped the Saints change course. They have deployed an upper-echelon pass defense for the past four seasons, and young players like Marshon Lattimore and Marcus Williams have developed into elite cover men. The Bengals sought a 2019 interview with Glenn, but the Saints blocked it. With the NFL expanding its Rooney Rule to include coordinator jobs, the former NFL cornerback has a clear path to a 2021 DC gig. He may not stop there.

Tony Elliott
Clemson used co-offensive coordinators for most of Deshaun Watson's tenure and part of Trevor Lawrence's. Elliott previously shared the play-calling role with Jeff Scott, the Tigers co-OC from 2015-19, but is running the show solo in 2020. And Lawrence, despite his positive COVID-19 test, is a Heisman frontrunner. Elliott, 41, has been at Clemson since 2011, being onboard for the program's rise. He has not surfaced on NFL radars yet, but the 2020 season and perhaps beyond could provide a springboard for Dabo Swinney's play-caller.

Teryl Austin
Formerly in head-coaching interview cycles, Austin has hovered off the radar over the past few years. But the former Detroit defensive coordinator's Pittsburgh arrival has coincided with the Steelers' defensive reawakening. During Austin's two Pittsburgh seasons, an offensive-oriented team transformed into a defense-powered operation. The Steelers secondary coach has also assisted Mike Tomlin with replay reviews, which were a persistent problem for the longtime Steelers head coach previously. Austin also coached the Lions to their modern-era defensive peak during his four Motor City seasons.

Chip Skylark

Veteran
Supporter
Daps

Good
statefarm-Hj1YahPuQ26E3eqTYP

PortCityProphet

Follow me to the truth
Daps
Reppin
Bama ass DC
how good of a coach do we think Matt LeFluer is?

I still don't know. I don't think he's bad at all, but I'm not sure he's his record good:jbhmm: