2020/End of Gen controversial opinions thread

Fatboi1

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
It's been three years already since my last thread.

To start it up:

The multiplayer games from last gen are better than this gen's multiplayer games. I don't care about Fortnite or the hero themed PVP games(Overwatch, Valorant.)

Playstation has had no really good MP titles this gen. UC4 was decent but it wasn't as good as UC2 was. KZ:SF was trash compared to KZ 2.

PC Gaming is cool sometimes but couch+controller is more comfortable than desk gaming. I think once I get a HDMI 2.1 equipped TV and stronger GFX card I'd play on the TV for PC gaming far more often.

Xbox outside of Sunset Overdrive and maybe BC on the X1X was a pointless console.

PSVR is fun in spurts. Not that great after the initial wow factor.

Idk if it's due to me having more money+games today but I felt like when I was younger and had less games games were funner? It's weird.

Grand Conde

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Idk if it's due to me having more money+games today but I felt like when I was younger and had less games games were funner? It's weird.

There is nothing strange about that. The less you have of something, the more you will value it. Gamers are spoiled as fukk in 2020, and it isn't really something that adds to the experience of actually sitting down and enjoying playing a game.

The Mad Titan

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
This gen would have been very meh, if not for the crazy run of games from 2017 to now.

Indie titles have been on point the last 4 years or so, and I think we are going to see a lot of those titles become bigger funded sequels.

I completely understand why someone wouldn't have purchased an Xbox this gen at all, it's by far microsofts weakest gen showing, thankfully game pass back compat and xcloud are 3 very big pluses for me and how I game now.

Playstation wasn't worth having until 2017, But man oh man have they killed it since then and pretty much defined this gen

Nintendo coming off the wii u failure to the switch was a super ballsy move.

I'm a fan of exclusive game's on consoles, I think there needs to be more of it. I'm not a fan of exclusive content on games on multiple consoles... (Avengers)

I'm much harder to please and get engaged into a game now that I'm older and have less time (even though I make it) and jump between 2-4 games consistently while waiting for the next game. Like @Fatboi1 said I think having money, the access, and being able to play read, watch, and follow a game and then watch most of it before it comes out has dulled some of my gaming joy.

I also think games nowadays try super hard to make you "feel something" or have a message or be super deep or introspective and just aren't as fun as back in the day when games usually tried to be fun 1st and tell a story second unless it was a rpg or something.

-DMP-

The Prince of All Posters
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
LWO/Brady Bunch/#Midnightboyz
I thought tomb raider coming back was going to be a bigger deal than it was.

Streaming games to your cellphone from your console is trash. Thought I wanted it but nope. I just don’t like gaming on my phone. At all.

I don’t think I enjoyed red dead redemption.

I liked the mid gen refreshes for each console.

I dont think BOTW is all that great, so far.

I thought watch dogs and the division were going to change the game.

I want each console manufacturer to buy as many exclusive games as they can afford :demonic:

I am fine with FauxK instead of 4K. :yeshrug:

Baka's Weird Case

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Goon Squad - Catset
very unpopular but god of war this gen was a step back from the og games for me and kind of represents a lot of the problems i have with modern game-making.

super mario odyssey had very uninspired world design that made me lose interest in the game, even though marios movement and abilities were excellent

I also think games nowadays try super hard to make you "feel something" or have a message or be super deep or introspective and just aren't as fun as back in the day when games usually tried to be fun 1st and tell a story second unless it was a rpg or something.
i think a lot of games these days just try to throw this at you without earning it through character or world development to invest the player, or by having the player-character interact with the game in a thought-provoking way

Last edited:

The Mad Titan

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
I thought tomb raider coming back was going to be a bigger deal than it was.

Streaming games to your cellphone from your console is trash. Thought I wanted it but nope. I just don’t like gaming on my phone. At all.

I don’t think I enjoyed red dead redemption.

I liked the mid gen refreshes for each console.

I dont think BOTW is all that great, so far.

I thought watch dogs and the division were going to change the game.

I want each console manufacturer to buy as many exclusive games as they can afford :demonic:

I am fine with FauxK instead of 4K. :yeshrug:

:picard:

Rayzah

I'm Everywhere you ain't never there
Daps
very unpopular but god of war this gen was a step back from the og games for me and kind of represents a lot of the problems i have with modern game-making.

super mario odyssey had very uninspired world design that made me lose interest in the game, even though marios movement and abilities were excellent

i think a lot of games these days just try to throw this at you without earning it through character or world development to invest the player, or by having the player-character interact with the game in a thought-provoking way

I felt the same about god of war. I never felt like a “GOD” of anything in that game. I was just a dude running around with his son. That’s not why I play GOW, I felt like it tried too hard to be blood borne and all those super difficult as games. And I’m not a fan.

PlayStation dropped the ball by not including a UHD drive in their console.

MS gave me no reason to want their system

and MP only games From titles that made their name in SO like anthem and fallout 76 Were horrible ideas from the jump and I hope they lost money trying to make a half assed MMO.

loot boxes and pay to win is lazy and uncreative

Red Shield

Global Domination
Daps
Reppin
.0001%
Some of these opinions ain't controverisal at all:pachaha:

Don't think saying this gen really started in 2017 is ballsy at all. There have been multiple hitters ever year since 2017. I don't expect next gen to have such a slow start like this one did.

But anyway...

The xbox was definitely a pointless console this gen. They gotta come harder next gen with the exclusives. Same old Halo and Gears ain't gonna cut it...

Gears should have ended with 3.

COD should just go bi-yearly or tri-yearly if it's gonna gonna do the whole battle pass thing.

I would find Fortnite far more enjoyable if it didn't have the damn building aspect and cross play with pc.

I don't care for crossplay with pc when it comes to pvp games. Keep that shyt off.

The axe murderer

For I am death and I ride on a pale horse
Daps
I get spiderman being ps exclusive for business reasons but why would an xbox player want to buy your game for an inferior product. Imagine a justice league game with batman exclusive to one console. I guess this sums up the fukkshyt in this gen

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
A lot of the games were mild in gameplay and focused on story.............. and honestly story in games is eh :francis:
Agreed. Seems game devs are in a competition to see who can Make the best movie:francis:

Most of the top reviewed games are just not for me. They have to be too shallow in gameplay and universal in appeal to achieve those scores.

I’m a ~80 MetaCritic type gamer.

So I guess my controversial opinion is games in the 70-80s on MetaCritic are better than the 90s :ehh:

Prince Akeem

Its not that deep breh....
Daps
A well crafted linear or semi-linear game is better than the vast majority of open world shyt.

PS3 had a better first year software wise than PS4 in hindsight.

One of the best things to happen this gen was Japan's comeback after the rough PS3/360 years. Playstation becoming top dog again helped this.

Switch is the best Nintendo console since SNES