2014 Has Quietly Been a Postive Year For The "Horror" Genre

TOP LAD

WOAH, HEY GUYS WELCOME TO EB GAMES /COPY THAT/
Daps
Reppin
LORDE
While we had the typical garbage horror flicks released this year on the big screen:

Purge 2
Annabelle
Deliver Us From Evil
Paranormal Activity 5
Devil's Due
Quiet Ones

and the rest of those found footage pieces of shyt

The genre has been blessed with numerous gems on the Indie level that promote creativity, passion, and an agenda that doesn't include a quick money grab:

Honeymoon
tumblr_n95izeAvhE1rkem6ho5_500.gif

The Babadook
tumblr_nei5cjtHXD1tsy6uyo1_400.gif

Starry Eyes
tumblr_nf1q14d9PM1rcnqeto3_400.gif

We might have reached a point were we might not ever get quality horror flicks in theaters anymore since Paranormal Activity showed untalented hacks that they can make a movie with basically next to no money and make a ridiculous profit and sheep ,who don't respect the genre and think all horror is is jump scare after jump scare, will pay for it and say they liked it. The only hope theater horror has is James Wan and his work of the last few years have been SOLID at best. 2014 might be the year that we realize that mainstream horror is officially dead (even with Wan) and it looks like it took the combination of the shyt in mainstream and the non mainstream horrors to realize this. So thank you to the guys behind paranormal activity for helping me see the light.

Last edited:

kp404

Live Or Let Die
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Black Community
I have to agree with this thread...even Horror/Thriller like The Guest was amazing. Also, Among the Living is another good horror film from France this year...not as good as Guest, Babadook, but still pretty effective...

Also, look out for "It Follows" at the beginning of next year...it screened at some festivals and got rave reviews...

EarlyMaridia

All Star
Daps
The Purge 2 was good though. :ufdup:Heavy handed as fukk, but still entertaining.

The found footage sub-genre took a heavy L this year. I think I've heard of 1 of them being decent, but the rest weren't great at all. Some had really dope concepts, but poor execution.

I have to agree with this thread...even Horror/Thriller like The Guest was amazing. Also, Among the Living is another good horror film from France this year...not as good as Guest, Babadook, but still pretty effective...

Also, look out for "It Follows" at the beginning of next year...it screened at some festivals and got rave reviews...

I forgot all about this. I was looking forward to it the first half of the year, but didn't see anything in terms of a release. Gonna check now though. :mjpls:

kp404

Live Or Let Die
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Black Community
:what:The Guest wasn't horror. That was action suspense.
I thought Paranormal Activity: The Marked Ones was pretty good.:manny:

I said The Guest could count as thriller/horror; like how The Hitcher did...that paranormal Activity garbage wasn't even watchable though.

EarlyMaridia

All Star
Daps
:what:The Guest wasn't horror. That was action suspense.
I thought Paranormal Activity: The Marked Ones was pretty good.:manny:

That ending though. :dwillhuh: shyt went from a thriller to horror real quick in the third act. :merchant:

I actually liked The Marked Ones. It brought some much needed diversity to mainstream horror and some of the scares were cool. That Simon Says shyt was :wow:

BXKingPin82

The Chairman of the Board will be... The Kingpin
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Bronx NY
yeah there been some pretty good ones
i watched this joint called Late Phases the other night
pretty dope werewolf flik

Ricky Church

Stole Timberlake's Spaceship-Coupe
Daps
Reppin
Hudson County N.J. [Jersey City 201]
yeah there been some pretty good ones
i watched this joint called Late Phases the other night
pretty dope werewolf flik
just watched the trailer, I guess they figured it's time to put the fear back into the Werewolf genre after what them p*ssy Twilight movies did to them... now all that's next is reviving the Vampire.

Ricky Church

Stole Timberlake's Spaceship-Coupe
Daps
Reppin
Hudson County N.J. [Jersey City 201]
I watched "Housebound" last night, and it was good, nothing too extravagant, but still had my attention.

I got "Stonehearst Asylum" on my PC and I plan on watching it soon.

and a couple Horror flicks queued up on Netflix... The Sacrament (2013) and Beneath (2014)

EarlyMaridia

All Star
Daps
Housebound is my shyt. lol. The premise of someone dealing with a haunted house, while being on probation, was pretty great. lol

The Sacrament was really good too.

I need to watch Tusk, Starry Eyes, and Among The living. Got all of them on deck.