2 years into this generation, how has the Series X's two teraflop lead over the PS5 affected games? Are the "tools" from Microsoft ready yet?

Luke Cage

Coffee Lover
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Harlem
brehs, i spent $800 on two retro arcade1up machines. i care far more about playing games i enjoy than some technical specs.
Not that i don't care at all about performance, its just at the bottom of my top 5.

daze23

Siempre Fresco
Daps
How do you know? Thought you didn't play movie games :troll:
I just watch them on youtube :troll:

I really don't have a problem with movie games. I just finished UC4, and it was a good movie game

Hi-Fi Rush is not a movie game though

Fatboi1

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Hi-Fi Rush is not a movie game though

It seems the devs first priority was creating a cinematic experience. Obviously the game has "gameplay" but the gameplay seems more of a vehicle to get the story/experience across instead of the main focus of the game.

Linear, funnel you through corridors gameplay. Shallow combat more focused on looking cool than skill or strategy.

As beautifully articulated by Meach himself.

To make a game feel like a movie the gameplay has to be presented with little resistance.

They want to make you feel danger but they don’t actually want you to fail.

It’s why you get the no fail QTE sections and the easy traversal stuff. Nobody wanna watch the same train explode 15 times cause you can’t make a jump. But that means the traversal has to be shallow and almost fail proof throughout the game.

Combat can’t be too difficult. Most games, especially difficult ones have a low completion percentage. Movie games are built for pretty much anyone who picks up the controller can make it through. That also means loot can’t be too significant, can’t have you get to a certain boss or enemy and not have the equipment/skills to win. Backtracking makes little sense in a “cinematic experience”

Level design is influenced by the need to funnel you to the next story beat. GOW devs said the squeeze through and forced walking sections were about pacing and controlling where the character can or can’t go. You said it yourself that open world games have a hard time telling a good story because the player can just walk off and do what they want to do. That goes both ways. In a movie game they can’t give the player much choice at all cause then it would fukk up the narrative.

Animations have to look realistic, but that doesn’t always make for the best gameplay. RDR2 was the worst for this. Yea the animations were cool and cinematic the first couple times, but it made the game a slog to get through.

Camera Angles. Moving the camera to close shoulder view changes mele combat profusely. You can’t see behind you so there will be less enemies and they will all be programmed to kinda wait and circle around to only attack you in the front. This makes spacing and positioning less important than the average mele action game.

There’s more, but this is the gist of it.

Movie games have very different design goals and priorities than other games. Same as an RPG is very different from an Action game.

This is the uncharted of rhythm games.:smh:

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
It seems the devs first priority was creating a cinematic experience. Obviously the game has "gameplay" but the gameplay seems more of a vehicle to get the story/experience across instead of the main focus of the game.

Linear, funnel you through corridors gameplay. Shallow combat more focused on looking cool than skill or strategy.

As beautifully articulated by Meach himself.

This is the uncharted of rhythm games.:smh:
Try real hard brehs :mjlol:

Legal

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
brehs, i spent $800 on two retro arcade1up machines. i care far more about playing games i enjoy than some technical specs.
Not that i don't care at all about performance, its just at the bottom of my top 5.

Makes sense. Ultimately, enjoying what you're playing in some way is the most important thing.

PS5 Pro

DC looking a 1/2 seed right about nuh
Daps
Reppin
The Original Rec Room Gang
Nice thread, and nobody was equipped to respond properly but daddies home :smugbiden:

So ladies, RDNA 2 is very much making a difference in how these games are made and performing. The ps5 lack of fun rdna2 has been a factor during development and it's only getting harder and harder to keep up

But you guys don't really give a shyt about any differences unless it's Sony over Xbox. When it's Xbox over Sony you say it's not a big deal. So claiming ignorance is your victory. I'll breakdown truth, maybe this post will be bushed afterwards???

So for starters, The xbox rdna2 advantage begins with Direct X ray hardware ray tracing. Forza :hula: GT7 PS5, in game or only in photo mode? Huge deal but we're playing ignorant so let's continue...

Full mesh shader support (Sony doesn't fully support because of its more of an rdna 1.5) but mark cerny lied once and that was enough for here

Then there's the variable rate shading, sampling, feedback streaming and finally direct storage. I'm aware ignorance on these subjects equals you think you can talk shyt still :mjlol: all this stuff is just getting utilized and the results are promising to say the least. There's a recent multiplatform game that the Sony version runs at a lesser resolution and that the blacks looked crushed heavily in comparison to the Xbox counterpart and it's because of the features I just spoke on.

Who cares right? who brought it up?
Will it get worse moving forward? YES, YES IT WILL for those who do not have full rdna2 support. Some series S games run as good as the ps5 version but you'll only pay attention when it runs worse :francis: