PROVOCATIVE POSTING
Daps
next & jagged edge hit the scene.

rell's 1st video was a classic.

Last edited:

Wacky D

PROVOCATIVE POSTING
Daps
Im not seeing much evidence based on the stuff thats been posted.

If anything hip hop fell the fukk off in '97 and '98

what are you basing this off of?

if youre one of those people that think those years suck simply because they weren't on the level of the years that they followed, then theres nothing I can say to sway your opinion.

hence, the reason why '98 is so underrated.

Wacky D

PROVOCATIVE POSTING
Daps
who else in here from NY was at that PR parade when Pun was on that float sitting?

i believe that was the year we all "wilded" and made the news.

is this the parade where you said you knew pun was gonna die soon?

re'up

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
San Diego
Mya, 'Movin On', definitely a classic, middle school or not, and 2pac 'Changes', I just remembered, definition of an iconic and almost timeless song...TQ 'Westside', too. That track needs it's own thread, imo...

Wacky D

PROVOCATIVE POSTING
Daps
@Big Mel

I remember near the end of the year, when big pun was performing on BET Soundstage, and he was sitting down thru most(if not all) of the performance.

Last edited by a moderator:

Absolut

Legal Bookie
Daps
Reppin
Las Vegas
the vast majority of albums being posted in here have like max 1-2 good joints on them, and the rest of that album is absolute garbage. ras kass joint? shyt was trash. eightball lost with 3 cds of almost all shyt? kurupts awful double album? camron? scarfaces shytty double album? man there was some bad shyt you had to sift thru to find the good music

LezJepzin

We Wavy
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
50East/Sacramento, CA
It was the last great year for both Hip Hop & R&B , not just one or the other.

I was in the 10th-11th grade. No Limit was running shyt but it was obvious that wasn't going to last. They were the leaders of lazy lyrics getting by over dope beats. Yeah, they had a lot of heat, C-Murder, Tru, Mystikal, Fiend, Silkk , etc. But they also started two :snoop: trends. Having 20+ songs on your album but only about four of them were listenable. That's why CD singles were so popular then but not every artist went that route. The other :snoop: trend was the record label craze . Like you wasn't the shyt if you didn't rock a chain of your label and went commercial. shyt watered the game .

The Box>>>>>>>>MTV & BET at that time.

I was a L.L. Fan but Second Round Knockout when it dropped :ooh: Even after his response diss track.

Remember trading CDs on the bus like they were trading cards .

Song made me feel like a boss strolling around my high school :smugdraper:

R&B had a lot of legendary tracks too. Everything I heard that year aged well.

Last edited by a moderator:

JustCKing

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
While I don't think 1998 was the last great year for music, it is probably the last classic year. At that time, a lot of (if not most of) the music had a purpose and a message. It was the last time radio had singles like this:

Aaliyah- Are You That Somebody
Monica- First Night
Lauryn Hill- Doo Wop

^^^ Those were huge singles. "Are You That Somebody" and "First Night" were rather innocent songs lyrically and thematically, but the production was hard. These days, these women (even the young women at the age of Aaliyah and Monica when those songs were made) are more ratchet and put it all on display. Even though there were songs like Destiny's Child's "With Me", it wasn't over the top or explicit.

Then Lauryn came in and slayed with "Doo Wop" without coming off preachy or self-righteous. These songs went too:

K-Ci & Jojo- All My Life (classic wedding song)
Xscape- Arms of the One
Mya- It's All About Me
Brian McKnight- Anytime
Jon B.- They Don't Know

The albums from that year were just:wow:

OutKast- Aquemini
Lauryn Hill- Miseducation of Lauryn Hill
Gangstarr- Moment of Truth
Jermaine Dupri- Life In 1472
R. Kelly- R. (the double disc album)
Playa- Cheers 2 U
Jay Z- Vol. 2
Juvenile- 400 Degreez
Big Pun- Capital Punishment
DMX- It's Dark and Hell Is Hot

No Limit had so much product on the streets that it's hard list, but Life or Death, Ghetto Fabulous, Charge It 2 Da Game, Give It 2 Em Raw, MP Da Last Don (mainly disc 1) were standouts from that crew though.