1998 = The Most Underrated Year In Hip-Hop History

Wacky D

PROVOCATIVE POSTING
Daps
:popcorn:

another wacky d thread classic.

lets take a trip down memory lane and rejoin the thread in progress, shall we?

more commentary after these messages.:smugfavre:

Wacky D

PROVOCATIVE POSTING
Daps
I agree with homie who said the more albums get mentioned, the weaker the year looks. I don't really remember '98 for albums as much as I do the high volume of quality songs that were out there. It was one of those years where there was always good music out there, but if you bought all those albums you might've been let down.

Case in point: Busta's "Tear Da Roof Off" was live as hell... fukk that album tho'.

"It Ain't My Fault" was poppin'... but shyt if I'll listen to Silkk the Shocker for an hour.

I loved All-City's "The Actual"... the album... :scusthov:

Goodie Mob's "Black Ice" was my shyt... album? :snooze:

The Lox were killin' it all year... but I could do without more than half of that album.

Even Jermaine Dupri had a couple bangers but I ain't bout to bump that 1472 shyt all the way thru.

'98 is a good year for the music it's remembered for... but there was quite a lot of rightfully forgettable albums.

i agree with the overall point, and may i add that '98 was short on classic albums. definitely a year that thrived on singles & collabo cuts. same could be said for the rest of the late ;90s.

but some of these albums you mentioning tho?:stopitslime:

Art Barr

INVADING SOHH CHAMPION
Daps
Reppin
CHICAGO
Outkast was even on a different tip on the first album, somewhat. They were pimp heavy like you said, but Git Up was on a whole other vibe.

git up was the same ol' gangsta street pre-req record.
all gangsta/pimp records featured as a pre-req ever since, cube dropped dead homies.

after dead homies, that pretty much set the stage even more for pre-req's on a gangsta rap album.
after, criminal minded was set as the first rubrick for high quality records in all of rap in the new school way of thought.

art barr

Art Barr

INVADING SOHH CHAMPION
Daps
Reppin
CHICAGO
Buckshot was 22-23 when Who Got dropped. The best example of a transition from a kiddie group to an adult group is Mobb Deep.

Also, for posterity, I want to make sure the record is clear that I'm not dissing Black Moon/BCC. Black Moon was my favorite group until Mobb Deep came through and crushed the buildings. I picked them to make a point that the standard @Wacky D holds Outkast to makes a lot of important groups appear like they weren't factors. Unwittingly I picked a group that may have heavily influenced the making of the greatest album of all time. :snoop:

buckshot = Kenyatta Blake on November 19, 1974

when who got the props was recorded.
buckshot shawty may have only been possibly sixteen/seventeen years old.
he was nowhere near even twenty when who got the props was released.

also, i think you don't understand fully, what i said.
buckshot transitioned to having and developing expert vocal tonality.
which is the key in transitioning from a young offkey rapper, into an actualized skilled emcee.
havoc gained incredible perspective from those blackmoon session.
that is completely undeniable, as well as his experience in queensbridge in that era.

art barr

Wacky D

PROVOCATIVE POSTING
Daps
we didn't even really get into the summer joints yet. this year was deep.

yea, there'll be a '99 thread like next year when they hit that 15th anniversary.

:laff: @ scraping the bottom of the barrel.:laff:

:jawalrus: @ the bolded.

http://www.thecoli.com/threads/the-year-is-1999.214556/

and we didnt even hit the 4th quarter of this jawn like that before the thread got hit by the tidal wave. this wouldve went quadruple.

Last edited:

OHSNAP!

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Capital Punishment :blessed:
It's Dark And Hell Is Hot :blessed:
Flesh Of My Flesh, Blood Of My Blood :blessed:
These plus Aquemini and some No Limit classics (Fiend, Mac, IGTHU OST, C-Murder...) made 1998 one of my favorite years in rap music history. Coincidentally WWE was also on fukkin' fire post-Wrestlemania 14:banderas:

mobbinfms

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TPC
These plus Aquemini and some No Limit classics (Fiend, Mac, IGTHU OST, C-Murder...) made 1998 one of my favorite years in rap music history. Coincidentally WWE was also on fukkin' fire post-Wrestlemania 14:banderas:
I'll bet the South was fukking with Gangstarr and the Wu Syndicate album heavy :banderas:

Xtz23

All Star
Daps
516RYPT9P6L.jpg

:obama:
Sick album:wow: