1998 = The Most Underrated Year In Hip-Hop History

DredScott

Take these jewelz...
Daps
Well that explains why that album was so well produced. Havoc probably ghost produced the whole thing. :dj2:

But to be serious, that's a great point and I'll bet he picked up some things from the Beatminerz at those sessions (and in all honesty, maybe vice versa - I don't know how advanced Hav was in 1993, wasn't that the year he produced "Hit It From The Back", you know, Ras Kass' favorite song of all time).

But do you think that was a primary influence, and that without attending those sessions, the Infamous doesn't end up as perfect as it did? Because that's the argument that @Wacky D is making. It's not enough to be influential to be a factor, Hip Hop has to end up not being the same if you don't exist.

Truthfully, I don't know that anyone can answer that question, other than Havoc, it would just be speculation

while i don't deny havoc picking up some production tips from walt and dee, i really believe that q-tip had more of a hand in The Infamous... coming out so dope. We all know that q-tip produced ALL of tribe's shyt and he was already 3 albums deep and had just come off the classic Midnight Marauders lp. Havoc has already mentioned in interviews and making of The Infamous... features that Tip definitely schooled him during those sessions and brought the album up to a whole other level. i will always salute Tip for that and for his work with Tribe and respect him for that not matter how "out there" his dolo shyt is.

and sidenote, "U Da Man" = most underrated song on Enta Da Stage, even fukkin dru ha came off. :smugdraper:

Last edited by a moderator:

mobbinfms

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TPC
while i don't deny havoc picking up some production tips from walt and dee, i really believe that q-tip had more of a hand in The Infamous... coming out so dope. We all know that q-tip produced ALL of tribe's shyt and he was already 3 albums deep and had just come off the classic Midnight Marauders lp. Havoc has already mentioned in interviews and making of The Infamous... features that Tip definitely schooled him during those sessions and brought the album up to a whole other level. i will always salute Tip for that and for his work with Tribe and respect him for that not matter how "out there" his dolo shyt is.

and sidenote, "U Da Man" = most underrated song on Enta Da Stage, even fukkin dru ha came off. :smugdraper:

Yep. That's what I said originally. Also I recall Havoc saying that Extra P taught him a lot. Of course, I've also heard the Mobb say that Hav schooled P on the rhymes initially and P schooled Hav on the beats.

If you think about Midnight Marauders, and Tip's assistance with Infamous, he's really underrated.

Dru Ha shoulda kept rhyming...

mobbinfms

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TPC
good point.

ive seen some when i worked at a mom-n-pop store. also, there was an intern chick that i used to kick it with, who kept me abreast to a lot of that stuff. really, its nothing shocking when you see the figures. its really common knowledge chit if youre aware of whats going on. but if youre a stickler for stuff like that, you'd have a ball with it.

i don't know about "dramatically transformed" but their sound clearly changed from album-to-album, if you actually bothered to listen. the subject matter expanded with each joint as well. a bit too rapidly actually......and really tho, outkast gets too much credit for that. just because they got weirder with each album. later for that.

yea, art did a better job at explaining. thing is, you have a way of sometimes asking some real nit-picky questions. and breaking down the ingredients to apple jacks and such isn't my strong-point. also, i assumed that you were a stickler for east coast hip-hop, so your question alone made me go :dahell:.

also, i keep forgetting that youre new here. that's why you think that im downplaying outkast.

i agree that '98 wasn't a legendary year for albums, but theres classics that came outta that year.

also, some of these albums youre listening were actually hot.

Yeah - I'd love to see detailed sales figures for classic hip hop albums.

Yeah - I didn't bother listening - but good looking out on the brief breakdown.

I do sometimes ask pain in the ass questions - and I am a stickler for east coast hip hop.

I'm looking forward to the Southern groups thread. I'm thinking Outkast has gotta be top 5. I'm no connoisseur when it comes to Southern hip hop though. Still, I'll bet this issue comes to a head in that thread. I'm assuming that's where all these Stan's you keep mentioning g are gonna pop up.

Where did you put them on your groups thread?

Wacky D

PROVOCATIVE POSTING
Daps
Yeah - I'd love to see detailed sales figures for classic hip hop albums.

Yeah - I didn't bother listening - but good looking out on the brief breakdown.

I do sometimes ask pain in the ass questions - and I am a stickler for east coast hip hop.

I'm looking forward to the Southern groups thread. I'm thinking Outkast has gotta be top 5. I'm no connoisseur when it comes to Southern hip hop though. Still, I'll bet this issue comes to a head in that thread. I'm assuming that's where all these Stan's you keep mentioning g are gonna pop up.

Where did you put them on your groups thread?

theyre not gonna pop up. and if they do, they'll just run in the thread, throw an insult, then bounce. or they'll stalk me in other threads without stating their beef.

the list is still in my head and far from set. i'll say this much: some groups are ahead of others on this south list, yet they aren't rated higher than those groups on my overall groups list.

Wacky D

PROVOCATIVE POSTING
Daps
this chick right here defined 1998. forget master p, dmx, jay-z, whoever.

LISA RAYE IS MY GOAT!!!! THE PLAYERS CLUB TURNED ME OUT. YES.:jawalrus:

tumblr_lpyfxh0Qbt1qctrffo1_500.jpg

tumblr_m7ktnwy5CK1qgspsyo1_1280.jpg

LISA RAYE & MONICA CALHOUN
:patrice::patrice:
286203_large.jpg

DredScott

Take these jewelz...
Daps
this chick right here defined 1998. forget master p, dmx, jay-z, whoever.

LISA RAYE IS MY GOAT!!!! THE PLAYERS CLUB TURNED ME OUT. YES.:jawalrus:

tumblr_lpyfxh0Qbt1qctrffo1_500.jpg

tumblr_m7ktnwy5CK1qgspsyo1_1280.jpg

LISA RAYE & MONICA CALHOUN
:patrice::patrice:
286203_large.jpg

:patrice: i don't know man.

back then, i was definitely feeling Rachel from Planet Groove A LOT more...

tumblr_m0t5yivt0S1qesepao1_1280.png

like my nikka rassie said "...my mc'ing produce more semen than wet dreamin' 'bout hosting BET with Rachel in the Carribean..." :ahh:

Bruce Wayne

THE GODDAMN BILLIONAIRE
Daps
Reppin
Gotham City
1998 was my shyt. There was so much Piff dropping at 1nce. Albums, Mixtapes, Trends, Movies, and The Beef.

Back when DefJam was actually a Respectable Label.

I remember being a Fiend for that Jay-Z, DMX & Ja Rule = Murder Inc. Album. :ohlawd: I wanted that shyt to drop so Bad but heard those 3 were just fukking it up for The Bigger Picture. :to:

WayneCom 7.5

Wacky D

PROVOCATIVE POSTING
Daps
:patrice: i don't know man.

back then, i was definitely feeling Rachel from Planet Groove A LOT more...

tumblr_m0t5yivt0S1qesepao1_1280.png

like my nikka rassie said "...my mc'ing produce more semen than wet dreamin' 'bout hosting BET with Rachel in the Carribean..." :ahh:

yea. shes up there but lisa raye kinda bumped her to the side a lil bit in my book.

lisa raye, Rachel and a ripe destinys child.

I was also hooked on the movie "phat beach" which I think hit theaters in '97 but made its way to cable in '98. one of the goat low-budget flicks. I don't even remember it being in theaters, to be honest.

Wacky D

PROVOCATIVE POSTING
Daps
ONE OF THE DEFINITIVE HIGHLIGHTS OF '98 IS THE LL/CANNIBUS BEEF.

WHO YALL GOT WINNING THIS? AND CAN WE ALL AGREE THAT THIS IS ONE OF THE GOAT BATTLES?

Last edited:

Wacky D

PROVOCATIVE POSTING
Daps
people gave @mobbinfms a hard time, but that blackstarr album was piff.

better than aquemini by far.:smugfavre:

mobbinfms

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TPC
people gave @mobbinfms a hard time, but that blackstarr album was piff.

better than aquemini by far.:smugfavre:

You saying that is a little out of left field...but the truth is the truth no matter the source!

I was a little shocked by how alone I was in putting Black Star on that pedestal. If I ever start making threads - "Black Star is a classic" might be my first one.

Wacky D

PROVOCATIVE POSTING
Daps
You saying that is a little out of left field...but the truth is the truth no matter the source!

I was a little shocked by how alone I was in putting Black Star on that pedestal. If I ever start making threads - "Black Star is a classic" might be my first one.

you never made a thread!!??:wtf:

I don't know about the classic part, but its definitely a dope album.

mobbinfms

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TPC
you never made a thread!!??:wtf:

I don't know about the classic part, but its definitely a dope album.

Yep. Never made a thread. I don't think the thread would do numbers if I didn't claim the album was classic. I might need to go a step further and title it "Black Star > Illmatic" if I want to go platinum. Btw - what is going platinum on here? 10 pages? 100 responses? I see people throw around the term a lot...

Wacky D

PROVOCATIVE POSTING
Daps
Yep. Never made a thread. I don't think the thread would do numbers if I didn't claim the album was classic. I might need to go a step further and title it "Black Star > Illmatic" if I want to go platinum. Btw - what is going platinum on here? 10 pages? 100 responses? I see people throw around the term a lot...

10 pages