1926 News Article About Progress Of Blacks Since End Of Slavery

karim

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Thats what it s about in the end. A lot of things went against us during Jim Crow but in the end we had each other and that was more than enough but look at us now, its amazing to believe that as time goes by we get worse when it should be the opposite. Something broke in the mindset of the average black american sometime during the late 60s and 70s but I keep looking and I just can't figure it out. Maybe it was the idea that our struggle was over and we took our foot off the gas and now we just can't get our momentum back.
you must be retarded if you think that black people today have it worse than black people in the 1920's :snoop: glorify the past brehs :shaq2:

Daps
Reppin
NULL
Getting back to this in America isn't going to happen. Integration is here to stay.

We gotta invest in Black majority countries and create these type of economies.
It's the solution no one wants to deal with. Because more than what integration did to us externaly, it's what its done internally that's hurt us the most. Black people can't see thenselves distancing from this country and their white/latina/you name it counterparts.

DrBanneker

Space is the Place
Daps
Reppin
Figthing borg at Wolf 359
Any advice for me on how I can emulate you/follow you and ultimately do for self?

I am 31 years old and live with my 61 year old mother. I have a two year degree in Business Management and 60,000 in student loan debt I haven't started paying back yet. I have been working in a restaurant as a busser since mid-November and I live in Americus, Georgia.

Do three things: save all your money you don't need for basics and first clean up your credit, start putting 10% of each check in savings (20% if you can), and finally start looking for a need to be filled. The mistake a lot of people make is only doing what they like and expect to make money. You SHOULD and CAN do something you like but do it in a way that caters to a group of customers.

Remember, some of the biggest money makers are the quiet and boring businesses that aren't flashy or well known. Someone has to sell ice, run a laundromat, liquor store, or even dig holes.

ZoeGod

I’m from Brooklyn a place where stars are born.
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn,NY
They killed,imprisoned and exiled our leaders in the 60s and 70s. The radicals were treated as the fringe. What the US government did is what other empires to defeat the revolutionary spirit of a people. They killed the leaders and replace them with weak moderates. They then let the moderates become apart of the political establishment so they have alot to lose. The black elites are SO out of touch it is ridiculous. And they complain that we young people don't respect them. Well you have nothing to show for.

semtex

:)
Daps
:damn: that is amazing at just the 60 year mark. 90 years since this was written we should be ruling the world.

DrBanneker

Space is the Place
Daps
Reppin
I dap OP for this post but there are a few things you need to remember....

1) Blacks in the 1920s were still largely rural. Blacks did not become a majority urban population until the 1950s. The big city crime was all done by White folks at this time, particularly immigrant groups. Rural communities (at least back then) were much more cohesive and socially conservative and thus the strong family, community, and economic networks. Also Black people had a higher marriage and wedlock birth than even White people back then. One of the huge hotbeds of Black entrepreneurship wasn't Harlem or Chicago's South Side (where Blacks often rented) but in Durham, NC.

2) The 1920s were when lynchings and the KKK were worse than at any time since post-Reconstruction and we still were able to build.

But there were still good reasons for CRM

3) The tide that led to CRM wasn't necessarily c00nery. The economically empowered Blacks in the 1920s had a bunch of roadblocks. The farmers (like many White farmers) were devastated by the Dust Bowl and farm recession in the 1920s. Since Blacks were mostly rural, they were hit harder overall. Some looked for industrial employment.

There were many legal, Union led, and other obstacles to many Blacks getting employment in industry. Those like Ford were a minority in giving Black people factory jobs. Industrial employment is necessary for a large sustainable middle class that rural agricultural productivity just can't match. The prelude to the CRM were the strikes led by Randolph to get Blacks employment in the war industries during WWII. Trying to get these opportunities helped lead to CRM

3) Lynchings spiked in the 1920s, and successful Black entrepreneurs (and towns like in Tulsa) were the targets of open violence with no protection from local or federal authorities. Ida B. Wells wrote about this at length. Black people could not always get guns (the first gun control was against us) and even if they did, the blowback would be worse. The anti-lynching law FDR wouldn't/couldn't support was a prelude to CRM as well. Black people wanted at least protection of lives and property they didn't have.

4) Booker T and Garvey (who I do greatly admire) preached only economics matters, not politics. This is true to a point but it is not a hard and fast rule. In 1928, Herbert Hoover pulled the first "Southern Strategy" before Nixon and pretty much purged the Republican Party of Blacks. This destroyed what little political representation we had and the consequences of that both eventually drove Blacks to FDR in the 30s (with Eleanor's help) and, along with the spike of lynchings and KKK membership, disillusioned people of the future Booker T. promised when our educational and economic achievements would make us more equal and respected in the US. Back to Africa by Garvey was the alternative but had no traction so we had to stay and fight.

DrBanneker

Space is the Place
Daps
Reppin
They killed,imprisoned and exiled our leaders in the 60s and 70s. The radicals were treated as the fringe. What the US government did is what other empires to defeat the revolutionary spirit of a people. They killed the leaders and replace them with weak moderates. They then let the moderates become apart of the political establishment so they have alot to lose. The black elites are SO out of touch it is ridiculous. And they complain that we young people don't respect them. Well you have nothing to show for.

Good point. I forgot to mention that in 1926 the FBI was only 18 years old. Though they helped bring down Garvey, the outright infiltration and sophistication of the 1960s wasn't there yet.

EndDomination

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
I don't even want to give the European that much credit but got damn

The US government had other intentions for our people as collective

Why didn't the Indian or Asian community catch it like this?

Seldom do you see in depth articles with those kinds of numbers

They broke it down
You need a strong history lesson.
The "Asian community" in the US was small until after 1965.
Nearly all are immigrants, and immigrants fare better than all segments of the US population, if they come w/ education, oft-one of the only reasons they can immigrate. Same reason Nierians outdo AAs as well.
Native Americans are poorer than AAs, they have the highest poverty rate by far in the US.

feelosofer

#ninergang
Daps
Reppin
Brick City, NJ
The article shows the power that Black people can possess when we come together, but also keep in mind most of that money came from farming which was essentially wiped out after the dust bowl, also Whites had started to monopolize manufacturing and industrial jobs in the post WWII era which led to the boom in the white middle class, which blocked out Blacks.

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
:mjlol: @ people blaming integration and not two economic downturns, a change in the economic structure of the country, globalization, and two new sectors of the economy that blacks were almost not a part of at all :russ:
Right.

Depression, a couple recessions, unprecedented wealth inequality, oppressive government policy all have nothing to do with it.

It was integration that did it:francis:

Not to mention that wealth for the entire country doubled during that time and has not seen that type of growth since.

None of that matters though. It was the c00ns begging to live near white folks.

Crazy how many people came in to cosign this dumb shyt :smh:

Daps
We shyt on the civil rights movement cause they dropped the ball in every aspect and NEVER own up to their mistakes but always wanna talk about what mistakes we made. If those who were growing up in the civil rights movement shytted on any of us in here you wouldn't criticize them.

I don't think it can be stated just how much they failed. Just wanted integration for the chance to marry and fukk white people. All they wanna talk abotu 24/7 is praising the Lord/ Being so pacifist and defeatist and forgiving any and everything especially when its a white person, but when a Black person they wanna preach about how "God dont' like ugly" and that person will get their Karma. They are just a damn laughingstock. Most naive and out of touch people in America. Not even knowledgeable about the present world around them.

CNN and CHURCH is their livelihood.

shyt on Black people and Black businesses every chance they get but can never invest money they made in their life in Black businesses so they can get better funding and get more branches and have more Black people hired.

Always wanna complain about how men and women of our generation don't know how to do certain things but never want to teach these things themselves. HOw you as a man gonna whine and moan how young men these days don't even know how to change a car tire while your sitting down on your ass watching TV and not showing your nephew or grandson how to do that?

The Congressional Black Caucus has been around for decades and has not done shyt for Black people. They are actually one of the organizations that lobbied for Reagan's sentencing laws.

SMH holding hands and singing we shall overcome and then when we get our rights you don't do shyt to benefit your children and grandchildren. Absolute embarrassment.

That's why you shyt on the the Civil Rights movement, but my comment was directed at those blaming the Civil Rights movement for the destruction of what was being built in the 20's. That's categorically false and there are plenty in this thread doing that.