1926 News Article About Progress Of Blacks Since End Of Slavery

ahdsend

Superstar
Daps
then at one point they even had the AUDACITY to blame rap music back in the 90s and 00s for what we go through.

that shyt was the worst...

way they villanized all the "gangsta" rappers.... blaming em for inner city violence...

all u gotta do is peep how the homicide rate went thru the roof in the 60s....

right after record low in the 40s and 50s...

this was way before crack, cuz by the time crack hit it was too late....

that was the death blow....

damn near everything gen x got blamed for was the boomers fault.... alotta the boomers got no shame....

cuz they the ones who made it cool for black folks to MURDER each other over some fukkin colors...

Decivilization in the 1960s

And figure two, Homicide rates in US and England 1900-2000, shows that in the 1960s the homicide rate in America went through the roof.

Figure two - Homicide rates in US and England 1900-2000

After a three-decade free fall that spanned the Great Depression, World War II, and the Cold War, Americans multiplied their homicide rate by more than two and a half, from a low of 4.0 in 1957 to a high of 10.2 in 1980 (U.S. Bureau of Statistics; Fox and Zawitz: 2007). The upsurge included every other category of major crime as well, including rape, assault, robbery, and theft, and lasted (with ups and downs) for three decades. The cities got particularly dangerous, especially New York, which became a symbol of the new criminality. Though the surge in violence affected all the races and both genders, it was most dramatic among black men, whose annual homicide rate had shot up by the mid-1980s to 72 per 100,000.

The rebounding of violence in the 1960s defied every expectation. The decade was a time of unprecedented economic growth, nearly full employment, levels of economic equality for which people today are nostalgic, historic racial progress, and the blossoming of government social programs, not to mention medical advances that made victims more likely to survive being shot or knifed. Social theorists in 1962 would have happily bet that these fortunate conditions would lead to a continuing era of low crime. And they would have lost their shirts.

Why did the Western world embark on a three-decade binge of crime from which it has never fully recovered? This is one of several local reversals of the long-term decline of violence that I will examine in this book. If the analysis is on the right track, then the historical changes I have been invoking to explain the decline should have gone into reverse at the time of the surges.

An obvious place to look is demographics. The 1940s and 1950s, when crime rates hugged the floor, were the great age of marriage. Americans got married in numbers not seen before or since, which removed men from the streets and planted them in suburbs (Courtwright 1996). One consequence was a bust in violence. But the other was a boom in babies. The first baby boomers, born in 1946, entered their crime-prone years in 1961; the ones born in the peak year, 1954, entered in 1969. A natural conclusion is that the crime boom was an echo of the baby boom. Unfortunately, the numbers don’t add up. If it were just a matter of there being more teenagers and twenty-somethings who were committing crimes at their usual rates, the increase in crime from 1960 to 1970 would have been 13 percent, not 135 percent.[2] Young men weren’t simply more numerous than their predecessors; they were more violent, too.

Last edited:

Bea__13

Banned
Daps
Reppin
VA
Bruh this is proof that intergration was the death of us ty

Good lookin my nikka , this will just make even more stronger in my beliefs in de-segregation.

Bea__13

Banned
Daps
Reppin
VA
Breh, we're eventually going to desegregate again, probably very messily...not because we want to but because white folks are tired of the integration experiment.

Do you know of any other black activist who were against intergration other than Garvey and Malcolm X ? Kind of just want perspectives from different black people who lived during those times.

We only hear about the ones who fought for intergration mostly

The M.I.C.

The King In The West đź‘‘
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Charlotte - Washington D.C.
Do you know of any other black activist who were against intergration other than Garvey and Malcolm X ? Kind of just want perspectives from different black people who lived during those times.

We only hear about the ones who fought for intergration mostly

Zora Neale Hurston was one of top of my head.

10:31

Superstar
Daps
What jobs do you think I can finesse my way in to? I took courses in Econ but none for stats.

In you're in retail now

Think management and while you look for internship for fellows fresh out of college

Get into retail banking and out of the food business

PhonZhi

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Atl, Ga by way of Alabama
back then, blacks knew and were very aware of how much white people hated them. so they relied on each other, they looked out for each other, and prospered as a result. Nowadays, there's a lot of confusion and alot of people focusing on the wrong things.

6wRf5HL.jpg

Red Shield

Global Domination
Daps
Reppin
.0001%
Ok..

And then a few years later the great depression hits.

and you can't fault the CRM completely... black folk just decided to throw the baby out with the bathwater. Hell I think Dubois talked about it happening in the late 30s. That black folk would leave the black community has soon as they could.

SubZero in TRL had a good post about what connects us together.

The Odum of Ala Igbo

Hail Biafra!
Daps
Reppin
The Republic of Biafra
that shyt was the worst...

way they villanized all the "gangsta" rappers.... blaming em for inner city violence...

all u gotta do is peep how the homicide rate went thru the roof in the 60s....

right after record low in the 40s and 50s...

this was way before crack, cuz by the time crack hit it was too late....

that was the death blow....

damn near everything gen x got blamed for was the boomers fault.... alotta the boomers got no shame....

cuz they the ones who made it cool for black folks to MURDER each other over some fukkin colors...

Decivilization in the 1960s

Northern cities like Detroit began to de-industrialize in the 1960s and Af-Ams had a relatively significant youth bulge in the 1960s. Those two factors create incentives to commit crime.

PullOutGawd

Boosie the GOAT
Daps
Reppin
Falls

As a white man, this made me smile.
This is such an amazing illustration of how powerful yall are.
I have a lot of African members in my family on my mom's side & they are salt of the earth people. Loved growing up with them. My uncle was the first black teacher in my city or province (don't remember which)
Used to walk by the picture of his class in elementary & tell all my friends that was my uncle
He taught me my multiplication tables in the 1st grade:banderas:

It's crazy what the CIA/Crack epidemic ended up doing to your people
Although I'm Canadian, the war on drugs in the states has made a devastating impact across ALL of the Americas

+Rep for sharing this newspaper breh.
:salute:

& to all my brehs on here,
I hope this motivates you to keep striving for excellence, I'm going to use this as motivation for myself & I'll show it to my family as well :blessed: