131 college scholarships put on hold or modified due to Texas DEI ban, documents show

Buddy

Keep my name out of it
Daps
aubree-butts-devin-oliver.jpg

For Richard Oliver, the night of June 3, 2014, was a parent’s worst nightmare.

His daughter Devin Oliver and her classmate Aubree Butts, players on the women’s basketball team at Texas A&M University at Commerce, were killed in a car crash in rural Paris, Texas. The community mourned and celebrated Oliver and Butts by creating a memorial scholarship.

“I appreciated the fact that that scholarship was targeted specifically for that demographic type — Black female athlete, and particularly basketball — because that’s who my daughter was,” Richard Oliver told The Dallas Morning News.

Now the Devin Oliver and Aubree Butts Memorial Scholarship — and 130 others across Texas — are frozen or being modified as the state’s public universities implement a new state law, according to documents obtained by The News through open records requests. The affected scholarships comprise 80 at Texas A&M University institutions, 45 at University of Texas-affiliated campuses and six at three other public universities.

Known as Senate Bill 17 and authored by state Sen. Brandon Creighton, R-Conroe, the law is a ban on diversity, equity and inclusion, or DEI, programs at public universities in Texas and went into effect Jan. 1.

At30wecashout

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
The future of "Black only" initiatives is those who want it being frustrated at those who can't (note: did not say WON'T) give it to them.

Race neutrality is going to be used as a cudgel from here on out and people have to accept it. If we don't have control of courts and legislature, it's a pipe dream.

TRUEST

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I mean if I’m a billionaire ain’t nothing stopping me from giving x amount of dollars to a specific demography. And I’m a billionaire so I’m ready to unleash a legion of lawyers if any of these racist pieces of sh1t wanna contest that. I’d even bait them.