[12/30/23] AEW Worlds End: Samoa Joe vs. MJF for the AEW World Title; Continental Classic Finals

taker597

Superstar
Daps
How was the show brehs???

Looks like the booking wasn't bad? Cole as the Devil isn't shocking but makes sense. Samoa Joe world champ :leon:
It kind of doesn't make sense to be completely honest. MJF gave Cole little to no reason to turn on him. MJF gave him everything he wanted and didn't scumbag him.

Which puts MJF in a bad spot, because he needs to go back being a heel.

StatUS

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Everywhere
It kind of doesn't make sense to be completely honest. MJF gave Cole little to no reason to turn on him. MJF gave him everything he wanted and didn't scumbag him.

Which puts MJF in a bad spot, because he needs to go back being a heel.
MJF was gonna knock him out with that ring plenty of times tho :pachaha:

TheAlbionist

All Star
Daps
Reppin
London
Last three matches brought the average up but this was the weakest AEW PPV this year.

Enjoyed Christian Vs Copeland and Mox/Eddie a lot.

Julia/Abadon should've hit but it just didn't hit.

8 man tags have to be really special to be any good. They both felt like TV filler.

Stat/Willow was awkward and botchy.

Storm/Riho was entertaining enough but I've already forgotten it.

Swerve/Rhodes was unnecessary and Dustin had 100% too much offense. Bookers/wrestlers have got to stop letting every match turn into a photo-finish just so both guys can get their shyt in. They weren't in Texas or anywhere Rhodes related, so the only story worth telling was Swerve's ruthlessness and disgust at having his time wasted with such lowly opposition. Beat Rhodes down, do the cinder block and arm-break spots, send him home in an ambulance and let Swerve cut a promo. It's not rocket science.

Main Event was solid as hell but for some reason the finish was really awkward. I guess they were trying to bait the crowd into thinking the arm would stay up third time like it always does, but when it didn't the refs reaction made it feel like a botch.

Devil reveal - why not do it to decide the match?! Adam Cole is the right choice for Devil and assuming Fish and O'Reilly are otherwise engaged still The Kingdom are fine as his crew but it felt inconsequential when Max had already lost the BBB. The story of the match was really Max's pride, trying to skin the cat and trying to lift Joe that lost him the belt, not anything the Devil did.

AEW have been hitting hard for months and always does on PPV, hopefully this is a one off - it doesn't compute that they can put on such a mediocre show as this right now.

Coco Brown

All Star
Daps
I mean... They could of done way better than Adam, Wardlow, and Strong with jobbers.
You aren't wrong. At this point though, after the way so much of the show just didn't hit at all, I'm just grateful they didn't do worse. I think most of us guessed it was Cole awhile back and that just makes everything feel a little anti-climatic. I just hope they have a solid plan in place for what comes next and that, all Devil shenanigans aside, Joe gets a decent title run.

Cattle Mutilation

Superstar
Daps
Last three matches brought the average up but this was the weakest AEW PPV this year.

Enjoyed Christian Vs Copeland and Mox/Eddie a lot.

Julia/Abadon should've hit but it just didn't hit.

8 man tags have to be really special to be any good. They both felt like TV filler.

Stat/Willow was awkward and botchy.

Storm/Riho was entertaining enough but I've already forgotten it.

Swerve/Rhodes was unnecessary and Dustin had 100% too much offense. Bookers/wrestlers have got to stop letting every match turn into a photo-finish just so both guys can get their shyt in. They weren't in Texas or anywhere Rhodes related, so the only story worth telling was Swerve's ruthlessness and disgust at having his time wasted with such lowly opposition. Beat Rhodes down, do the cinder block and arm-break spots, send him home in an ambulance and let Swerve cut a promo. It's not rocket science.

Main Event was solid as hell but for some reason the finish was really awkward. I guess they were trying to bait the crowd into thinking the arm would stay up third time like it always does, but when it didn't the refs reaction made it feel like a botch.

Devil reveal - why not do it to decide the match?! Adam Cole is the right choice for Devil and assuming Fish and O'Reilly are otherwise engaged still The Kingdom are fine as his crew but it felt inconsequential when Max had already lost the BBB. The story of the match was really Max's pride, trying to skin the cat and trying to lift Joe that lost him the belt, not anything the Devil did.

AEW have been hitting hard for months and always does on PPV, hopefully this is a one off - it doesn't compute that they can put on such a mediocre show as this right now.
Pacing felt off for most of the night and most of the wrestlers outside of the first match and the last three just didn't come anywhere close to bringing their A game. Really just felt like some of them were just going thru the motions.

Flex Luger

Job Is Finished
Daps
[Fightful Select] [Spoilers] AEW Wrestler will be gone from AEW programming for some time

MJF will be out of AEW programming for some time, Fightful Select has confirmed. In this reign of more than a year he has suffered multiple serious injuries and needs to heal from them.

In addition, although MJF has said his contract was up at the beginning of 2024, WWE says there have been no talks with him. AEW sources believe he re-signed more than a year ago.