10 Facts That Clear Up Confusion Around What Exactly Is an Arab

GetInTheTruck

Daps
Reppin
Queens
There is nothing illogical about arguing if the early Arabs had dark skin or would look like what we call "black". And to be clear it is no way an "Afrocentric" invention, but has long been argued.

It is illogical because there are dark skinned people today, including Arabs, who nobody would consider to be "black," so the point is moot.

You're right in that the word Afrocentric shouldn't be used, because ironically most so-called "Afrocentrics" pre-occupy themselves with peoples and cultures outside of Africa.

GetInTheTruck

Daps
Reppin
Queens
Ibn Khaldun was cited earlier, here is what the same Ibn Khaldun had to say about west Africans in "Muqadimma":

"The inhabitants of the zones that are far from temperate, such as the 1st, 2nd, 6th and 7th, are also farther removed from being temperate in all their conditions. Their buildings are of clay and reeds, their foodstuffs are sorghum and herbs. Their clothing is the leaves of trees which they sew together to cover themselves, or animal skins. Most of them go naked. The fruits and seasonings of their countries are strange and inclined to be intemperate. In their business dealings they do not use the two noble metals [silver and gold], but copper, iron, or skins, upon which they set a value for the purpose of business dealings. Their qualities of character, moreover, are close to those of dumb animals. It has even been reported that the Negroes of the first zone dwell in caves and thickets, eat herbs, live in savage isolation, a do not congregate, and eat each other. The same applies to the Slavs[i.e. northern Europeans in general] . The reason for this is that their remoteness from being temperate produces in them a disposition and character similar to those of dumb animals, and they become correspondingly remote from humanity."

:snoop:

J-Nice

A genius is the one most like himself
Supporter
Daps
I do and will continue to use Afrocentrist to as an simple way to categorize those arguments which are made about the world & it's history through skewed blackwashed lenses, instead of an objective lens and the people who make them. I don't use the term to label people with the intentions of just dismissing their arguments all together, because I disagree with them- As you can see all I've been doing in this thread thus far is taking the time to pick apart Afrocentic arguments. So, how is that a cop-out? If you feel that simply using this terminology is a misrepresentation just because most of these people don't self-identify as Afrocentrist, thus a strawman, then I'm sorry, but for me it's makes for convenience. Now, if you see issues in my criticism of the points raised, particularly that concerning whether or not the original arabs were "black", then feel free to "critique my criticism" and provide counter points. But the "Afrocentric" label stays. But, even with all of your issues with the label of "Afrocentric" considered, the difference here is these supposed "strawmen" don't effect the main pillars of my argument which is that the claim the "original arabs were black" is fallacious, whereas the the aformentioned logical fallacies in my last post are what the core of those who claim that the original arabs were black rest on.

Here you go again chasing this Afrocentric boogeyman. How can you pick apart "Afrocentric" arguments if you have not 1. Properly identified who these Afrocentrics are? And 2. Properly identified the claims made by these supposed "Afrocentrics" in regards to this topic? That not only reeks of intellectual dishonesty, but it also reeks of intellectual laziness on your part :scusthov: . Convenience isn't a solid platform to stand on. If that were the case, we'd still be seeing Academia peddle the Hamitic hypothesis, Egypt being a non-African civilization, and Africans being given civilization by wandering caucasoids:huhldup:You simply don't have an argument when it's built on a false and shaky foundation.

Using an Atlantablackstar article as a catalyst for discussion, is not a problem, and I never claimed it to be(careful with those strawmen lol). Using atlantablackstar as a source of evidence to provide credibility to a claim about history is a problem. The reasonable thing to do would be to leave the issue of whether or not the original arabs being black as an open ending question- Not running with claim made in this Atlantablackstar article claiming that the original arabs were black, point blank period because atlantablackstar and some Afrocentrist on youtube said so.. And why would I need to make my own thread just to discuss the one of the points made in the original post. Maybe I'm mistaken, but last time I checked this was a discussion forum, not a blog site.

Don't be so obtuse. No one sees the Atlantablackstar as a primary source for this topic. It was merely the spark that led to this conversation and the article put forth points and sources for people to consider and discuss. I even ordered one of the books mentioned in the OP:obama:. Did you read the article? Or did you just emotionally react like some of the cats in this thread have based off of the thread title? They provided sources and books in the OP for people to look up and you want to ignore that and chase the mythical Afrocentric ghost on youtube? C'mon fam. You're better than this.

Why on earth would the burden of proof be on us to properly specify(such as providing a time frame to reference) & to provide credible sources for a claim that we didn't make, but in fact are highly skeptical about due to it's fallacious nature? And as far as the article you posted here goes- Just from a quick scan I don't see how anything in it lends credence to the idea of the original arabs being black, but if I'm wrong feel free to post a relevant excerpt from it that does. The burden of proof would only be on us skeptics if we decided to provide our own counter point that contradicts the idea that the original arabs being black, which I think I'll get into in the next paragraph.

You want to have a discussion on this subject, but you can't even read a simple article?So it's okay for you and others to make strawmen up and down in this thread, but you want to hide behind "Burden of proof"? This reeks of nothing but cowardice because it does nothing but give you a way out in not backing up the shyt you say. But since no one else has provided much of anything in regards to this topic, I guess I'll have to. See below for my sources and evidence.

Yes, I've seen you and a couple of other people claim that there's some early sources in which the arabs were described as "black" or described themselves as such, I'd love to see for my self, because so far I have seen anything of the sort. And yeah, I'd be nice if could specify what time period we're talking about here.

I'll provide my sources below.

And here's the point where I provide my own counter argument & opinion about whether or not the original arabs were black. And it is that I do NOT agree, with the original arabs being black, nor do I think most of them saw themselves as such based on the writings which are considered by the vast majority of muslim scholars which are considered as the two most authentic collections of hadiths on the saying and teachings of the Prophet Muhammad.

• Allah's Messenger (ﷺ) said, "You should listen to and obey, your ruler even if he was an Ethiopian (black) slave whose head looks like a raisin." - Sahih al-Bukhari, 9:89:256

• Then there came his master and demanded him back, whereupon Allah's Apostle (ﷺ) said: Sell him to me. And he bought him for two black slaves, and he did not afterwards take allegiance from anyone until he had asked him whether he was a slave (or a free man) - Sahih Muslim, 10:3901

• The most hateful among the creation of Allah us one black man among them (Khwarij). One of his hand is like the teat of a goat or the nipple of the breast. - Sahih Muslim, 5:2334

Thank you. I don't see how this disproves that the OG Arabs were black, Tropically adapted, or dark skinned ( Or any other term you want to use). What I do see here are descriptions of Blacks and African slaves during the Islamic expansion where Arab identity and culture began to be absorbed by different peoples who weren't historically considered Arabs and such is the case with groups like the Turks, Syrians, and Iraqi's. These aforementioned groups mixed with Arabs to create the lighter skin Arabs we see today.
Those who speak Arabic or practice Arab culture are comprised in three divisions:

• al-'Arab ul-'Aribah--South Arabian "Kushytes" of the oldest purest civilization and blood lines)
  • al-'Arab ul-Muta'aribah--Northerners who entered Arabia mixed in upon the southerners adopting language and culture.
  • al-'Arab ul-Musta'ribah--Foreigners outside of Arabia with no Arab ancestry who after Arab conquests were assimilated and adopted Arab culture.

It's quite obvious from these primary sources that black skinned Africans were clearly distinguished from the prophet muhammad and other arabs, at least at the time when these hadiths were collected. But, I suppose someone could just swoop in and claim that this was after the "the original black arabs" disappeared, and we have to go back even further to find "da original black man", thus exemplifying the fallacious unfalsifiability of this claim that the original arabs in some vague period of time in the past, that we probably have no records of, were black skinned. It's impossible to confirm or refute, thus it just remains a possibility in the same sense that they could've originally been giant cambodian cavemen

Looks like you on that:mjpls:

If were talking about the ORIGINAL people here, then of course were going to have give accounts of the past and not just one time period where the identity the original people held was changing due the expansion of the Islam and conquered peoples adopting the culture and identity.

Here are some descriptions we have from Western explorers:

The inhabitants of this part of Arabia nearly all belong to the race of Himyar. Their complexion is almost as black as the Abyssinians,”-- Baron von Maltzan, 'Geography of Southern Arabia' (1872)

[the Hamida are] small chocolate colored beings, stunted and thin… with mops of bushy hair… straggling beards , vicious eyes, frowning brows … armed with scabbards slung over the shoulder and Janbiyyah daggers…” a people “of the great Hejazi tribe that has kept his blood pure for the last 13 centuries…”-- Sir Richard Burton (1879)

The people of Dhufar are of the Qahtan tribe, the sons of Joktan mentioned in Genesis: they are of Hamitic or African rather than Arab types…”--Arnold Wilson, The Geographical Journal (1927)

the most prosperous tribe of all the Hamitic group, possessing innumerable camels, herds of cattle and the richest frankincense country. They resemble the Bisharin tribe of the Nubian desert. Men of big bone , they have long faces long narrow jaws, noses of a refined shape long curly hair and brown skin.”--Richmond Palmer (1929)

Mahra is the Arab name for the Bedouin tribes who are different in appearance to other Arabs, having almost beardless faces, fuzzy hair and dark pigmentation – such as the Qarra, Mahra and Harasis… Also on “…the Qarra, Mahra and Harasis with parts of other tribes. The language is derived from the language of the Sabaeans, Minaeans and Himyarites. The Mahra with other Southern Arabian peoples seem aligned to the Hamitic race of north-east Africa… The Mahra are believed to be descended from the Habasha, who colonized Ethiopia in the first millennium BC”-- David Phillips, Peoples on the Move (2001)

European observers have made much of their physical resemblance to Somalis and Ethiopians, but there is no historical evidence of any connections.”-- E. Peterson, 'Oman’s Diverse Society: Southern Oman'

Scholars also note

Mr. Baldwin draws a marked distinction between the modern Mahomedan Semitic population of Arabia and their great Cushyte, Hamite, or Ethiopian predecessors. The former, he says, ‘are comparatively modern in Arabia,’ they have ‘appropriated the reputation of the old race,’ and have unduly occupied the chief attention of modern scholars.”-- Charles Hardwick (1872)

Among ‘these Negroid features which may be counted normal in Arabs are the full,rather everted lips, shortness and width of nose, certain blanks in the bearded areas of the face between the lower lip and chin and on the cheeks; large, luscious,gazelle-like eyes, a dark brown complexion, and a tendency for the hair to grow in ringlets. Often the features of the more Negroid Arabs are derivatives of Dravidian India rather than inheritances of Hamitic Africa. Although the Arab of today is sharply differentiated from the Negro of Africa, yet there must have been a time when both were represented by a single ancestral stock; in no other way can the prevalence of certain Negroid features be accounted for in the natives of Arabia.”-- Henry Field, Anthropology Memoirs Volume 4 (1902)

“The Cushytes. the first inhabitants of Arabia, arc known in the national traditions by the name of Adites, from their progenitor, who is called Ad, the grandson of Ham.”-- F. Lenormant (1922)

There is a considerable mass of evidence to show that there was a very close resemblance between the proto-Egyptians and the Arabs before either became intermingled with Armenoid racial elements.”-- Elliot Smith, he Ancient Egyptians and the Origins of Civilization (1923)

In Arabia the first inhabitants were probably a dark-skinned, shortish population intermediate, between the African Hamites and the Dravidians of India and forming a single African Asiatic belt with these.”-- Handbook of the Territories which form the Theater of Operations of the Iraq Petroleum Company Limited and its Associated Companies

:sas2:

J-Nice

Supporter
Daps
Now how about we explore the way Arabs saw themselves:

…the predominant complexion of the Arabs is dark brownish black and that of the non-Arabs is white.” Ibn Mandour (14th Century) Lisaan al-Arab IV:209.

The south Arabs represent a residue of hamitic populations which at one time occupied the whole of Arabia. “ John D. Baldwin from Pre-historic nations or inquiries Concerning Some of the Great peoples and Civilizations of Antiquity. Harpers 1869

The Zanj say that God did not make them black in order to disfigure them; rather it is their environment that made them so. The best evidence of this is that there are black tribes among the Arabs, such as the Banu Sulaim bin Mansur, and that all the peoples settled in the Harra, besides the Banu Sulaim are black.” Abu Uthman Al-Jahiz of Iraq 9th century A.D.

David Goldenberg writes, “This view of the Arab as dark-skinned is also found among other peoples, as is indicated by the term arap (i.e., Arab) meaning 'black African' in modern Turkish, Greek, and Russian, as well as in Yiddish” (Goldenberg, 2005, p. 124). And, this is the case because their peoples still have folk history of the original Arab invaders of their lands. The descriptions and depictions of the earliest Arabs or kara-Arapy (“black Arabs”) are not infrequent in their histories and folktales.

There is, for example, the texts of the Kurdish writer Ibn Athir (12th – 13th century) which speak of the Sulaym/Sulaim folk hero "Sa’d al-Aswad" as being literally black because he came from the “purest” Arabs. A Persian Jewish Targum to Song 1: 5 uses the phrase “black as the Kushytes who live in the tents of Kedar.” to describe peoples of north Arabia. (Goldenberg, p. 244)

Ibn Khaldun (d. 1405) in his Muqqadima, has an important discussion of the seven zones and their inhabitants. According to Ibn Khaldun’s formulation, there are three ‘middle’ or moderate zones: 3, 4, and 5. The inhabitants are distinguished by temperate bodies, complexions, character qualities and general conditions. Included in these temperate zones are the Maghrib, Syria, the two Iraqs, Western India, China, and Spain. Iraq and Syria are in the very center, we are told, and are thus the most temperate. Zones 6 and 7 includes the European Christian nations, Eastern Europe, Russia and the lands of the Turks. These are the white lands and Zone 7 is excessively cold, producing excessively white peoples with blue eyes, freckled skin, and blond hair. (Muhamad, 2012, )

satam55

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DFW Metroplex
here is how europeans in the 1600s viewed Saladin (one of the greatest warriors in Islamic history): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guy_of...ns-_King_Guy_of_Lusignan_and_King_Saladin.tif

lossless-page1-640px-Jan_Lievens-_King_Guy_of_Lusignan_and_King_Saladin.tif.png

FYI...Saladin is the black guy in green while the white man in red is a European.

the early muslims/arabs were black.

Saladin was black???? lmao
Ṣalāḥ ad-Dīn Yūsuf ibn Ayyūb was Kurdish!!

:ohhh: He wasn't Black in the movie "Kingdom of Heaven".

Poitier

My Words Law
Supporter
Daps
Why are people quoting AD text when this discussion should be centered on Arabia 10,000 BC-600 AD????

You're right in that the word Afrocentric shouldn't be used, because ironically most so-called "Afrocentrics" pre-occupy themselves with peoples and cultures outside of Africa.

The Levant and Arabian peninsula are not "outside of Africa" to any significant extent.

Bawon Samedi

Good bye Coli
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Good bye Coli(2014-2020)
Aye... @Supper and @GetInTheTruck you guys posts. Yeah I agree evidence needs to be supported, instead of just saying, "the original Arabs were black". Me personally I could careless what the original Arabs were. Because I don't really care about Arab culture or history. But... I am not going to lie like I haven't seen sources that mentioned the early Arabs as being extremely dark or "black". Anyways thhis posts will be detailing WHY arguing the early people of the Arabian peninsula should not be in the same realm as "black Chinese", "black Vikings", "black Greeks" or "black Olmecs". Why should it be it? I mean not only is the Arabian Peninsula right next door to Africa. But it be argued that parts of the Arabian peninsula(and even the Levant) are an extension of Africa due sharing the same tectonic plates. Further more during the neolithic and even early, there were back and forth migrations. Noted by S.O.Y Keita...

The issue of how much Paleolithic migration from the Near East there may have been is intriguing, and the mitochondrial DNA variation may need to be reassessed as to what can be considered to be only of "Eurasian origin" because if hunters and gatherers roamed between the Saharan and supra-Saharan regions and Eurasia it might be difficult to determine exactly "where" a mutation arose.-- Keita, In Hot Pursuit of Language in Prehistory ed. John Benjamins. (2008)

Not only that we also have the Natufarians in the Arabian Peninsula and Near East during Neolithic. While some were not tropically adapted or "black", most anthropologist agree that they predominantly came from AFRICA! Shouldn't be far-fetched as the Afro-Asiatic branch in the Arabian Peninsula ancestry is from Africa. I mean how did it did Afro-Asiatic get the Arabian Peninsula in the first place? Some people hint to the Natufarians.

Also like most of Africa, almost all of southern Arabia is in the tropical zone:
tropical-zone-map.png

Now IF the early Arabs were "black", would they be genetically related to Africans? That I am not sure of. They could have just been indigenous black Asians. But anyways...

@GetInTheTruck I read your source on Ibn Khaldun doesn't really add much, because its commonly known that Khaldun was a racist, but his sources were always second hand and he wasn't even from the Peninsula but Al-Andalus(Iberia). Just wanted to get that out of the way.

Anyways replying to this...
It is illogical because there are dark skinned people today, including Arabs, who nobody would consider to be "black," so the point is moot.

When I mean "dark skin" and "black", I mean this...
The term Arab when used in historical documents often represented an ethnic term, as many of the "Arab" slave traders, such as Tippu Tip and others, were physically indistinguishable from the "Africans" whom they bought and sold. Due to the nature of the Arab slave trade, it is impossible to estimate about actual numbers."
Source:

Second, "black" is not moot in a historical sense because "black" unusually meant "burnt skin". You forget that Arab is just a Pan-Ethnicity and these Arabs from Northern Sudan are what we call, "black".

And in one of your earlier posts, I seen you used Indians being described as black as a proving point on why the term is moot. Its not because Indians were once grouped in as "blacks" or "Ethiopians" and they were considered to be the "Eastern Ethiopians" by the Greeks and Romans. It was because of their, "burnt skin". But they were mainly referencing the darker toned Indians like the Dravidians. Though they were still considered slightly different. That still does not deflate the historical concept of black or the argument of people of the Arabian peninsula having what we call "burnt skin" similar to Africans next door...

Anyways back to the Arabs. Again like I said "Arab" is a pan-ethnicity. Matter fact its hard to argue who the original Arabs were. To be honest a better argument would be who were the original people of the Arabian Peninsula. One must be cautious of the "Arab" identity as it can be confusing. As ANYONE can be Arab. And yes that includes BLACKS such as those from Northern Sudan. To me the Arab concept is like "Hispanic" as anyone who speaks the language as a native language and practice some form of the culture. This is why you have Northern Sudanese claiming to be Arab.

In a stricter sense it would really be anyone whose ethnicity derives from the major tribes of Arabia. But not all Arabians are "Arabs" since there are minority groups who are considered outcasts because their genealogy/pedigree is not derived from certain divisions.

But again note that there are indigenous black Arabians thus there were blacks among the Arabs and in some myths these were considered to be the original 'Arabs' while others say the Arab ethnicity lay else where. Again this whole Arabs being black thing did NOT repeat did NOT start with the "Afrocentric" camp. But to get back to the point, this is why arguing whether the early Arabs were black or not is confusing. There could have always been black indigenous Arabians living in southern part of the Peninsula, but the concept of "Arab" could have originated somewhere else or more north; by people who are not "black".

Though whatever the case may be it is interesting that the legends about Muhammad describe how Muhammad's apostle Khalid bin Al-Walid slayed the three great goddesses of the Arabs described as black women!

But like I said there are still indigenous black Arabians, especially parts of the Peninsula as @Poitier even noted. Such as the Tihama people.
oj4bgw.jpg

Then you have the Mahra people.
2nk8lug.jpg

2dhg228.jpg

Again there have always been native black Arabians...

But to get to the point. Here are early texts on the Arabs.

"The Arabs take pride in their black complexion."
-Al Jahiz 9th century

Al Jahiz who was an Arab himself IIRC...

“…the Arabs describe their color as black and they describe the color of the non-Arab Persians as red.”
Assertion of 13th c. grammarian Ibn Manzur or Mandhur, 13th century in Lisaan al Arab, Vol. 4 (born in Tunis or northern Egypt).

“…a fair-skinned Arab is something inconceivable… “
Ibn Abd Rabbu of Cordoba born 9thc. in El Iqd el Farid (The Precious Necklace), quoting Shuraik el-Qadi a 7th century Arab of the clan of Nakha’l of the Maddhij in the Yemen.

“if the Arabs are reddish, then they belong to the Byzantines (Rum), Slavic servants (Saqaliba), Persians and Khurasanis”
- Al-Jahiz.of Iraq 9th century Book of the Glory of the Blacks

Again this is the early periods and there is much more.

Anyways you guys can take this post anyway, I'm just stating my 2cents. Dont really care who the original Arabs were, just stating that the argument is NOT illogical and there is evidence to back it up.

A more interesting argument imo is who the original people of the Arabian Peninsula were...

Poitier

My Words Law
Supporter
Daps
For many years post-independence the struggle against apartheid was one of the most powerful unifying forces among Africans - it's a great irony that through the idiocy of racism H.F Verwoerd contributed to Pan Africanism. The fall of apartheid and the rise of pro-democracy movement in the early 90s refocused political energies inward. In the main, Pan Africanism is reduced to culture talk. And new concepts such as Afropolitanism have yet to emmerge beyond lifestyle choices - they're violently rejected by those who kill Africans who do not come from the same bantu-stand. We need new answers, or perhaps new questions. One thing is clear: it's no longer enough to say we're all African - we must rethink the continent's border with the same energy we dedicate for country borders inherited from colonialism. Why is Madagascar an African country and Yemen not - when Yemen is closer to Djibouti than Madagascar is to Mozambique? Why is the Red Sea a barrier and the Indian Ocean not? These questions, Ali Mazrui asked in 1991 as USSR collapsed and the design for the "new world order" took shape. It's time to take them up again - we need new questions or revisit older ones that were ignored. We know the Sahara desert was never the divide it is made out to be. We know the majority of "Arabs" live in Africa. We know there are more Muslims in Nigeria that in any "Arab" country. We know Arabic is the language with the highest number of speakers across the continent - Afrikaans was first written via Arabic script; Hausa and Swahili, the continent most influential indigenous languages are themselves profoundly influenced by Arabic and Islam. Mazrui compiled these convenient numbers into a proposal he called "Afrabia" with apologies (his ancestors owned slaves in East Africa). The proposal was roundly rejected by Abibi men of various persuasions such as Soyinka and Senghor. Still, we need new questions. And every answer.
So we're working on an Afro-Arab edition of the Chronic. We'll publish it in Arabic.
Peace.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Chimurenga/20192544942?fref=nf

All things to consider

Poitier

My Words Law
Supporter
Daps
Isreal and southern Levant shares tectonic plates with Africa, but Yemen IDK...
EAfrica.png

Doesn't have to do with plates but actual walking distance...

Yemen and Horner migration have gone on since forever. Heck, 10,000 Yeminis have fled to Puntland in the past couple months. There is a huge phenotype overlap, as well.

J-Nice

Supporter
Daps
The Emergence Of Y-Chromosome Haplogroup J1e Among Arabic-Speaking Populations(2010) - Jacques Chiaroni

Brenna M Henn4, Ornella Semino, Toomas Kivisild12 and Peter A Underhill2

The predominant categories of Y chromosomes in this region are varieties associated with haplogroup J-M304. This haplogroup essentially bifurcates into two main subclades, J1-M267(J1e) and J2-M172.1

Therefore, the J1e SNP information supports the previous inference that J1 chromosomes linked with DYS388¼13 repeats share a common ancestry.1 Network analysis of J1* chromosomes (Figure 2a) show a bifurcating substructure. One cluster is associated with DYS388¼15 and DYS390 423 repeats and the other cluster with DYS388¼13 repeats. The locale of highest J1* frequency occurs in the vicinity of eastern Anatolia (Figure 1c). Both J1* and J1e occur in Sudan and Ethiopia (Supplementary Table 1). Our data show that the YCAII 22-22 allele state is closely associated with J1e (Supplementary Table 2). Interestingly, in Ethiopia, all Cushytic Oromo and B29% of Semitic Amharic J1 chromosomes are J1*.

The high YSTR variance of J1e in Turks and Syrians (Table 1, Figure 1e) supports the inference of an origin of J1e in nearby eastern Anatolia. Moreover, the network analysis of J1e haplotypes (Figure 2b) shows that some of the populations with low diversity, such as Bedouins from Israel, Qatar, Sudan and UAE, are tightly clustered near high-frequency haplotypes suggesting founder effects with star burst expansion in the Arabian Desert.

A network analysis of J1e chromosomes (Figure 2b) also reflects situations of multiple founders. Although the haplogroup diversification within J1e remains incomplete, the somewhat rare J1e1-M368 provides an insight into the geographical origin of J1e.

Although the haplogroup relationships of YCAII alleles are unstable, nevertheless in the context of haplogroup J1, they are suggestive that the prevalent YCAII 22-22 variety may have evolved from a YCAII 19-22 ancestor.

The timing and geographical distribution of J1e is representative of a demic expansion of agriculturalists and herder–hunters from the Pre-Pottery Neolithic B to the late Neolithic era.24,26 The higher variances observed in Oman, Yemen and Ethiopia suggest either sampling variability and/or demographic complexity associated with multiple founders and multiple migrations. The expansion time associated with Yemen is somewhat older (7000 BCE) and may reflect a migration of herders into southern Arabia.27

Although J1e is one of the most frequent haplogroups in the region, haplogroup E-M123 also shows its highest frequency and haplotype diversity in regions of the Fertile Crescent, decreasing toward the Arabian Peninsula. 1,2,6 This co-distribution pattern of Y-chromosome haplogroups J1e and E-M123 resembles mtDNA haplogroups J1b and (PreHV)1 distributions that also display low levels of diversity despite their high frequency in Saudi Arabia.32,33

Interesting....