ZSNES and SNES9X were released 25 years ago

Black Mamba

Superstar
Daps
I got to experience the magic of Chrono Trigger on this emulator, still the best gaming experience of my life
Same
I was playing only these Dragon Ball Z games on it and idk why but I read online it came from Akira Toriyama(involved in it)so I downloaded it and man :banderas:
I even called Chrono Gohan and Lucca Bulmba :dead:
I thought Goku or Vegeta were going to pop in :russ:

TripleAgent

FBA. ZayK
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Baltimore
It's impressive how sophisticated those emulators were looking back. You didn't need the most powerful computer in the world to run games well.

I remember playing fan translations of Bahamut Lagoon and Live a Life on my old Windows 98 PC.

Just terrific.
The CPUs on the 16-bit and back systems were off the shelf and simple. No custom insruction sets, off brand coding. Publicly shared schematics and assembly language. The only real exception is the custom sound chip in the SNES, but, but today's standards, is nothing.

Black Mamba

Superstar
Daps
It's impressive how sophisticated those emulators were looking back. You didn't need the most powerful computer in the world to run games well.

I remember playing fan translations of Bahamut Lagoon and Live a Life on my old Windows 98 PC.

Just terrific.
Word man
Cuz I remember when I got project64 that’s when I realized my computer was :flabbynsick: status
Everything was fukking slow
And on top of that me and my brothers and a friend would play games like WWE no Mercy on it sharing the same keyboard. shyt was in slow motion due to our PC :sadcam: it was hella fun though

feelosofer

#ninergang
Daps
Reppin
Brick City, NJ
Word man
Cuz I remember when I got project64 that’s when I realized my computer was :flabbynsick: status
Everything was fukking slow
And on top of that me and my brothers and a friend would play games like WWE no Mercy on it sharing the same keyboard. shyt was in slow motion due to our PC :sadcam: it was hella fun though

Nintendo 64 has only emulated well kind of recently. No shame in that.

Insensitive

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Bruh those were the good old days.

ZNES was the the GOAT.
Got me wanting to run that back. :wow:

Black Mamba

Superstar
Daps
Nintendo 64 has only emulated well kind of recently. No shame in that.
Lol nah it was shyt cuz my pops had a better pc than us and I would go and play them on his when he was at work the speed was fine on his shyt was :wow: Just to fukking dip out the room asap as soon as I heard keys jingling in our door :russ:
nikka was putting passwords and I would find ways to go over it like booting into safe mode or finding the password :dead:

Spliff

Godzilla got busy.
Daps
Reppin
Jersey
That was the first emulated snes game I played too breh

Yea DBZ was white hot around '98 and I was on a couple forums.

Some poster mentioned one of those DBZ themed MUGEN games, had young me like. :krs: Downloaded immediately. Eventually branched out to all things MUGEN and jump on the dev forums. Sprites had to come from somewhere, learned there was a whole fleet of DBZ games I never heard of that ppl were pulling animations from.

Enter ZSNES and the scenario in my first post and the rest was history.

Crazy how ZSNES was the gateway to Chrono Trigger for so many people. Truly one of my goat gaming experiences. :wow:

acri1

The Chosen 1
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Detroit
Damn I remember having ZSNES and a bunch of SNES Roms on my computer in high school and college. :flabbynsick:

Pegasus Jackson

Trump's Amerikkka
Daps
Reppin
ATLANTA ZONE 6
I remember it well. Hell, I was on Nesticle before that.. hell I had a Super Magic Drive (look it up) for my SNES that I paid $600 for back in day.

Another Man

Trappin w/ Benzino
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Red Roof Inn

Some poster mentioned one of those DBZ themed MUGEN games, had young me like. :krs: Downloaded immediately. Eventually branched out to all things MUGEN and jump on the dev forums. Sprites had to come from somewhere, learned there was a whole fleet of DBZ games I never heard of that ppl were pulling animations from.

Crazy how ZSNES was the gateway to Chrono Trigger for so many people. Truly one of my goat gaming experiences. :wow:
Breh :wow:
It was wild enough finding out about emulators, then Mugen right after that :wow::mindblown::ohlawd::banderas:
THEN playing PSX and Dreamcast on my PC and burning ISOs for said consoles :wow::wow::wow:
mIRC and Newsgroups kept a young breh fed well:ahh:

parallax

Superstar
Daps
Breh :wow:
It was wild enough finding out about emulators, then Mugen right after that :wow::mindblown::ohlawd::banderas:
THEN playing PSX and Dreamcast on my PC and burning ISOs for said consoles :wow::wow::wow:
mIRC and Newsgroups kept a young breh fed well:ahh:

mirc. thats a term i havent heard in a while. all of my champloo track, including the ones not on the albums i got using it...

i honestly miss those days

Diunx

Probably drunk
Daps
Reppin
nightset
Had a flash drive with snes9x and every snes game ever back in HS:flabbynsick:

shyt was copy and pasted on every pc in the computer lab:wow: was playing sf2 on netplay for bread:wow:
Flashdrive? you young brehs...I had it on a floppy with 2 Dragon Ball games :obama:

feelosofer

#ninergang
Daps
Reppin
Brick City, NJ

Even in 96 those Chroni Trigger cartridges were hard to come by. I pre-ordered out a catalog and had to wait 8 weeks before they had a copy available.

Daps
The CPUs on the 16-bit and back systems were off the shelf and simple. No custom insruction sets, off brand coding. Publicly shared schematics and assembly language. The only real exception is the custom sound chip in the SNES, but, but today's standards, is nothing.

Some of this might have contributed to it but the real reason that those emulators could exist back then was because they were not accurate and used hacks to get the games working. BSNES (now Higan), a cycle accurate SNES emulator, was not able to be run at full speed on most computers until some time after dual core 3ghz CPUs came out. There's no way that 90s CPUs could run an accurate emulator.