"Zion is already the #1 pick. time to sit out the rest of the season" - T Mac and Pippen

goatmane

Veteran
Daps

Zion Williamson has an insane level of hype behind him right now and it’s certainly deserved. The Duke freshman has absolutely dominated college basketball this season. Some even believe he’s already locked up his spot as the No. 1 pick in the 2019 NBA Draft. So why wouldn’t he just shut things down and wait for his professional career to start?

Scottie Pippen thinks that would be the right move and Tracy McGrady didn’t seem to disagree with him during “The Jump” on Tuesday. Both said they thought Williamson would be smart to just shut things down and wait for the draft.

Williamson has been unbelievable for Duke this season. He averaging 21.2 points, 9.4 rebounds, 2.3 assists, 2.0 steals and 1.9 blocks in 26.8 minutes per game. He’s also shooting a ridiculous 66.2 percent from the field. He ranks first nationally in PER with an insane mark of 41.6 — which would be a record — and he’s first in win shares per 40 minutes (.373), in which he leads by a ridiculous margin (second place is at .329).

He’s been the best player in college basketball this season, end of discussion. But should he shut things down?

I don’t think it would truly hurt his draft stock if Williamson walked away from Duke right now, but it certainly would cause some hurt feelings. Maybe it’s what would be best for him, but he made a commitment to the school and I don’t think there’s any chance he wouldn’t follow through on it.

I believe that we will eventually see players begin to bail out midway through their freshman years if they dominate. If there’s nothing left to prove at that level, then why stay? I just don’t think Williamson will be the first one through that door.

MJ Truth

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
While they’re right from a strictly financial perspective as far as risk vs. reward, you have to take into account the potential value winning a national title could do for Zion. That may mean little to nothing for him, or that may be a big deal. That would be a question for him.

Brozay

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
I believe that we will eventually see players begin to bail out midway through their freshman years if they dominate. If there’s nothing left to prove at that level, then why stay? I just don’t think Williamson will be the first one through that door.
they are getting rid of the one & done rule soon

Raquinotj

#NBATwitter #NBAReddit #6ixRings #PatsNation
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
City of champions BAWSTON
While they’re right from a strictly financial perspective as far as risk vs. reward, you have to take into account the potential value winning a national title could do for Zion. That may mean little to nothing for him, or that may be a big deal. That would be a question for him.

Meant alot to Melo, Only title he ever won.

1905606.0.jpg

obarth

R.I.P Char
Poster of the Year
Daps
Reppin
Pawgs with dragons
While I'm not as convinced he has the 1st pick as sewn up as Scottie and T-Mac are, I can't think of any compelling reasons, besides personal ones, for him to not shut it down. I guess there might be "character" criticisms that could arise from it. Once he gets that inevitable extension on his rookie deal does he play as hard if his team isn't in contention? How committed is he to the team and to winning? Those are things I could see the Skip Bayless types tryna run with, but I can't see a real reason for him to risk injury (especially with his style of play) if the bag is essentially secured.

The endorsements are locked up already. He'll have his pick. But a legendary NCAA Tournament run could have this guy being a top 3 player in terms of popularity in his rookie season:patrice: