Youth Football Players Called the N-word after Kneeling for National Anthem at Pennsylvania Game

Daps
Reppin
NULL
Pa. youth football players slurred after kneeling for anthem

White youth football players and their fans hurled slurs at an all-black team after a few of its players kneeled during the national anthem, the team’s coach said.

The Woodland Hills Wolverines were even denied service at the concession stand and whistled for 200 yards of penalties in the game Saturday night in the Pittsburgh suburb of Bethel Park, Pa., according to Wolverines head coach Marcus Burkley Sr.

“Once they took the knee, you see cameras and people flashing, taking pictures of what’s going on,” Burkley told WPXI-TV. “And out of nowhere you just hear, ‘If the little N-word wants to take a knee, they shouldn't be able to play.’”

The Wolverines’ 12- and 13-year-old players later told Burkley that members of the Bethel Park Hawks were calling them the n-word during the game. And staff at the concession stand wouldn’t sell anything to the Wolverines or their parents and family members at the game, he told WPXI.

Michael Che drops uncensored N-word on ‘Saturday Night Live’

bethel13n-3-web.jpg

Pittsburgh-area youth football coach Marcus Burkley Sr. said players on his team, which is composed entirely of black players, were greeted with racism after three players kneeled during the national anthem.
(WPXI-TV)
“They said, ‘We're not serving you Woodland Hills people, this is for Bethel fans, it's our senior day’ and stuff like that,” Burkley said. “So, with all that going on, it seemed like it was another attack.”

He said police called to the field ultimately kept the peace during the Wolverines’ 20-6 victory. Burkley wrote on Facebook that the game's referees made the Wolverines face fourth downs after second downs and called penalties without even explaining them.

Paul Currie, the president of Bethel Park Junior Football, told WPXI on Tuesday that he didn’t hear the slurs during the game. He said the league scheduled a meeting to discuss it, and he plans to interview players, parents and others who attended.

Currie added in a statement to the TV station noting that he “takes this matter very seriously and doesn’t condone this type of behavior.”

Kaepernick proves he isn't 'distraction' as he's named starter

Neither Currie nor representatives for the Bethel Park Police Department immediately responded to requests for comment Wednesday night.

The three players who kneeled during the anthem Saturday had started doing so earlier in the season in solidarity with the police brutality protests by NFL quarterback Colin Kaepernick. Burkley questioned his players about their gesture the first time they did it, he told PennLive.

bethel13n-2-web.jpg

The president of the opposing team in Bethel Park, Pa., told WPXI he has scheduled a meeting to discuss what happened during the game Saturday night.
(WPXI-TV)
“I said 'What's your reason behind taking the knee?' I said, 'Don't do it just because it's a fad,” Burkley said.

The players replied by mentioning the 2014 fatal police shooting of a boy in Cleveland whose pellet gun was mistaken for a real one.

Nets and Pistons lock arms for national anthem in show of unity

“Tamir Rice was a 12-year-old and we're still 12-year-olds,” one of the boys said, according to their coach.

“The ones who took a knee did so because they feel African-Americans are not being treated equally,” Burkley told PennLive. “And I didn't take a knee with them, but I told them, ‘I'll back you 100% if we receive any backlash,’ and I knew we would.”

Prominence0

6 Superbowl Rings yinz mad huh!
Daps
Reppin
Pittsburgh
I'm from Pittsburgh and Bethel Park has always been like this. I ran cross country in my 8th grade year and one of my friends was beating on of these Bethel Park cacs to the finish, and I heard you better beat that ******. I literally knew this was Bethel Park, bunch of rich scumbags.