Your most hated mechanic or things used in game design still?

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
I absolutely hate TIMERS. Whether its for individual missions or worse, entire game playthroughs.

Ex.

11678-C5-E-01-AA-4-D3-B-81-D2-9062297139-DF.jpg

933965-E6-EF50-4-C9-B-B68-B-5-F339-D4-AAADF.png

63830846-6751-40-AF-81-A8-7326910-E68-C4.png

Timers are one of those lame carry-overs from the arcade era. perfect way to ruin a good game is essentially make them all speed runs. Persona is less of a problem but you also feel like with those games if someone tells you you can 100% it in one play-through you’re pretty much glued to a strategy guide.

And if you don’t use a strategy guide you will most likely get locked out of the entire expansion and the reason you probably bought Royal, 100 hours in with no way to go back.

Last edited:

Khalil's_Black_Excellence

The King of Fighters
Daps
Reppin
Phoenix, AZ
I hate auto-fail missions where you fail even if you didn't actually get killed. I'd love for games to be more dynamic that if those sort of situations happened, you'd still have opportunities to continue on and the game just has different circumstances and endings perhaps if you did bad on a select mission, but didn't die.

Last edited:

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
I hate auto-fail missions where you fail even if you didn't actually get killed. I'd love for games to be more dynamic that if those sort of situations happened, you'd still have opportunities to continue one and the game just has different circumstances and endings perhaps if you did bad on a select mission, but didn't die.

Metroid Dreads entire game design in a nutshell

I guess thats more like insta-death enemies, which is probably a worse version of that

DaSk8D00D

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Phoenix, AZ
Weapons/armor degrading has always been :scust: to me

I was only able to tolerate it in BotW because the overall sandbox was so good and it encouraged creative play but even still I would’ve preferred it not to it be a thing

Absolutely hated that shyt in Fire Emblem Awakening despite it being one of my favorite games ever. Managing weapons for 20+ units like that :snoop:

DaSk8D00D

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Phoenix, AZ
Souls like games punishing you for dying. The game is already hard as fukk and you want to me punish me every time I die…fukk you…

I think that’s part of what makes those games so compelling. There’s a real risk/reward dynamic that constantly evokes an emotion out you either way

You’re either “thank god I made it:whew:, but how much further can I go before I start losing runes?:sadcam:

Or

“OMG fukk THAT bytch ASS MONSTER THATS SOME STRAIGHT BULLshyt YOU SON OF A bytch :pacspit:

There is no inbetween you either riding that wave of hard-fought accomplishment or salty as fukk, either way your hearts pounding:skip:

Regular_P

Just end the season.
Daps
I'm over crafting. Whether it's combining a bunch of shyt for a potion or collecting five of this and three of that to upgrade a weapon. :unimpressed:

Walking sequences in games. Just make it CGI again or use the in-game engine. Don't force me to walk through a section to hear a bunch of dialogue. That is not engaging me. :unimpressed:

Daps
Reppin
206 & 734
I'm over crafting. Whether it's combining a bunch of shyt for a potion or collecting five of this and three of that to upgrade a weapon. :unimpressed:

Walking sequences in games. Just make it CGI again or use the in-game engine. Don't force me to walk through a section to hear a bunch of dialogue. That is not engaging me. :unimpressed:
I haven't played the Diablo IV beta but if they OD on this shyt like they did 3...:beli:

That game has 2 different currencies, 4 different ways to craft weapons and armor, and like 7 classes of items

Regular
Magic
Rare
Legendary
Ancient rare
Ancient legendary
Sets
Ancient sets :beli:

Oh and also hyper rare items that are needed for crafting. To this day there is an item that is in act 3, in a cave in adventure mode which spawns like 20% of the time only, and a boss which has a 30% spawn rare, and an item with 3% drop rate

And I'm still farming :snoop:

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
I think that’s part of what makes those games so compelling. There’s a real risk/reward dynamic that constantly evokes an emotion out you either way

You’re either “thank god I made it:whew:, but how much further can I go before I start losing runes?:sadcam:

Or

“OMG fukk THAT bytch ASS MONSTER THATS SOME STRAIGHT BULLshyt YOU SON OF A bytch :pacspit:

There is no inbetween you either riding that wave of hard-fought accomplishment or salty as fukk, either way your hearts pounding:skip:

Also, Suicide runs in souls games are my favorite things. Like, “fukk it, i lost all my souls/runes/blood echoes time to go run past these things and get that item on the cliff or (and most likely) die trying”