Your Games will soon be containing adverts

Koba St

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
A new marketing company has successfully tested a platform that brings ads to console games.

Ads aren’t new to the world of games, but the specific type of TV spot common on cable and free-to-air channels may soon make its way to console games. PlayerWON, a platform that brings TV-style ads to games, has already signed deals with EA, and Hi-Rez.

According to an Axios report, PlayerWON comes from Simulmedia, and the company has been testing this first-of-its-kind advertising platform for a year, and it’s ready to launch it this week. The idea is to allow advertisers to reach younger demographics through games in ways they cannot replicate through traditional broadcast ads.

In-game ads are also generally cheaper than branded content and other means of advertising.

Ads are streamed from a PlayerWON server, allowing the service to ensure the player has watched the spot in its entirety. The system is also designed to give publishers the ability to offer players in-game rewards upon watching the ad, such as in-game currency and character cosmetics. According to Simulmedia’s research, players were found “willing to watch up to ten ads per day in order to unlock free perks.”
TV-like ads may soon be coming to console games - VG247

Considering gaming is a multibillion dollar industry; the same as movies, music and sports that contain lots of advertising, I’m surprised they haven’t taken off already.

Luke Cage

Coffee Lover
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Harlem
I don't mind product placement. Real life has product placement, so if i'm spiderman swinging thru new york and i see a pepsi billboard. That would actually add to the immersion for me. But if they are literally taking commercial breaks during game, nah fukk that.

Koba St

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
I don't mind product placement. Real life has product placement, so if i'm spiderman swinging thru new york and i see a pepsi billboard. That would actually add to the immersion for me. But if they are literally taking commercial breaks during game, nah fukk that.
I seriously doubt it’ll be commercial break. It’ll probably be the way you described it, just like in movies. Basically product placement.

Luke Cage

Coffee Lover
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Harlem
I seriously doubt it’ll be commercial break. It’ll probably be the way you described it, just like in movies. Basically product placement.
If thats the case no big deal to me. Maybe ad revenue will de-incentivize these companies from using those loot box, pay to play, gaming strategies.

threattonature

Veteran
Daps
I actually wouldn't mind it that much. I'm all for finding any way for these companies to make money if it leads to more games being created. Right now it seems video games have turned into movies where everything is either a blockbuster or cheap indy game. I remember Fight Night having in game ads (not full videos) but you'd see movies advertised in the game and it would change over time.

If EA was worth a damn as a company games like NBA Street or Fight Night are perfect avenues for in game advertisements if you give the players to update to there off the court/out of ring attire, cars and the like.