Your Computer Isn't Yours

MajesticLion

Superstar
Daps
Aside from the obvious thought policing going on and the self-discipline that every adult has to develop anlongside it, there's a necessary boundary that needs to be defined: where does private thought end and public domain begin?

If you buy the hardware, pay for the software and jot down your thoughts and never post them online...do private companies(and their big data customers) still have the right to parse through those documents to get into your head? Is all software simply leased and no ownership is conferred whatsoever? Even in open-source situations? Where does the line exist, where should it exist?

The Minister Of Culture

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Intel & AMD arent any better For those that dont know since 2008 Intel CPUs come with the Intel Management Engine which is a separate independent processor core that is actually embedded inside the MCP on Intel CPUs.Its created purpose was for enterprise management and remote assistance functions however some have big privacy concerns about it. Because within the MCP Intel ME is ALWAYS on, even when the rest of your computer is off, :wtf: and with the right software(which Intel & the NSA has), you can wake it up over a network connection and potientally spy on everyone with a Intel branded computer. ME has full access to memory (without the owner-controlled CPU cores having any knowledge), and has full access to the TCP/IP stack and can send and receive network packets independently of the operating system, thus bypassing firewalls .Hell, even Google is trying to get rid of it off of their systems and NSA request custom chips directly from Intel without it due to concerns. Yet the average consumer cant turn it off.Its closed source & operates all-by-itself and separate from the main processor, the BIOS, and the Operating system (OS),:damn:(it does however interact with the BIOS and OS kernel). In which it operates at ring -3 privilage level :damn:, with complete control over every part of the system. Protection ring - Wikipedia

What You Need To Know About The Intel Management Engine

AMD has a similar thing called the Platform Security Processor on their chips but since 2013 so any amd PC before then is free from it.

You can try to netuer it but that would require flashing coreboot and a program on github called me_cleaner which is kind of cumbersome but doable.

the only hope is for RISC-V & the Open Hardware/Software movement to take off on a large scale but thats easier said then done i tried to get my ppls to switch the the Signal messaging app shyt is like pulling teeth.:francis:

boogers

cats rule, dogs drool
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
#catset
Linux gang or dont bang:yeshrug:
i love linux. like too much. my current network is:

10.0.0.1 - my router 'tardis' OpenWRT linux 23.05.3
10.0.0.2 - desktop PC 'androzani' hackintosh macOS Sonoma/win11/arch linux
10.0.0.3 - raspberry pi 'gallifrey' debian linux (pihole)
10.0.0.4 - iMac 'k9' mac os 9/openBSD
10.0.0.5 - laptop 'castrovalva' win10/fedora linux ("media center" - i use a Rii Mini i25 USB remote control. display is a giant old Philips plasma
10.0.0.6 - laptop 'logopolis' hackintosh macOS Big Sur/arch linux

i dont really care about trustd that much. if apple wants to try to brick my hackintoshes, i wish them luck :salute:

yall arent getting past my pihole or ufw. :ufdup:

anyways... i fix/sell/setup computers/networks as a side hustle. decent but not dependable money if you like to tinker.

i do have too many computers tho. shyt is getting borderline autistic. i dont want my place to end up like fred sanfords house but with broken laptops :russ:

Arithmetic

Veteran
Supporter
Daps

10.0.0.5 - laptop 'castrovalva' win10/fedora linux ("media center" - i use a Rii Mini i25 USB remote control. display is a giant old Philips plasma

i dont really care about trustd that much. if apple wants to try to brick my hackintoshes, i wish them luck :salute:

anyways... i fix/sell/setup computers/networks as a side hustle. decent but not dependable money if you like to tinker.

i do have too many computers tho. shyt is getting borderline autistic. i dont want my place to end up like fred sanfords house but with broken laptops :russ:
i know this yo setup :mjgrin:

68bc6c98588227d3d2b9b014af746db3.jpg

At30wecashout

Veteran
Supporter
Daps

Breh, I have 2 windows machines (both Win 10), a mint, and 4 Ubuntu. I know the struggle of too fukking much. Add in a Raspberry pi later this year and maybe my work laptop if I purchase it (OS Sinoma) and i'm ready to start a non-profit for youth without computers.

boogers

cats rule, dogs drool
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
#catset
i know this yo setup :mjgrin:

68bc6c98588227d3d2b9b014af746db3.jpg
my girls dad is an engineer. he bought the original compaq portable in 1984 a few months after it came out.

1024px-Compaq_portable.jpg

im waiting on new keycaps for the keyboard. i suspect the keyboard (hard wired) is just an old IBM AT (pre PS/2 bus). i was thinking of maybe rewiring it so i can use it on my desktop. i like to journal so i really love mechanical keyboards. i have AT to PS/2 to USB1.1 adapters, so it oughta work.

aint nothing wrong with being a nerd :ufdup:

its a constructive hobby i think. i definitely waste money on this lol

boogers

cats rule, dogs drool
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
#catset
Breh, I have 2 windows machines (both Win 10), a mint, and 4 Ubuntu. I know the struggle of too fukking much. Add in a Raspberry pi later this year and maybe my work laptop if I purchase it (OS Sinoma) and i'm ready to start a non-profit for youth without computers.
you should call your local YMCA and tell them. you could probably work out of your garage if you have one.

i like to list ads and offer cash for broken electronics that look reasonably repairable. ill pay up to $70 depending on the condition. depending on what you get you can relist it later after you repair it and zero out the drives. i repair speakers and do audio work as well. i'd like to do my car next