Y'all heard about ChatGPT yet? AI instantly generates question answers, entire essays etc.

MikelArteta

Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Top 4
Just realized Russian troll farms and Nigerian scammers are going to fukking eat off of this shyt. Fake news sites too. They'll be able to just straight make shyt up at record pace, tell ChatGPT to tailor it for whatever audience.

Fake-ass motivational speakers, pyramid schemes, get-rich-quick schemers, self-help book writers too. This is pretty much exactly at their writing level, but they'll be able to produce content much more quickly and tailor it more effectively than before.

Pretty much anything where the style is more important than the truth or depth of the substance, and where volume matters, is going to be on easy mode now.

fiverr :to:

I mean, that does seem like its best use so far - it produces filler.

I can see it being used a lot by non-writers who need to produce words but don't want to waste their time writing. It can basically boost almost anyone up to "competent" stage, or can take a competent writer and give them what they would have produced anyway but in a lot less time. However, it doesn't seem to be producing any good writing.

Does that mean people who use ChatGPT to produce competent writing are now never going to put in the work to become legitimately good writers?

That leads into the second potentially negative side effect I worry about it. Right now, it's being used as a time-saving mechanism by competent professionals who have already trained themselves to a certain point. I assume you're using it to produce the sort of things you've already had to write numerous times in the past - so you know how to write them, you know what you're looking for, and after you apply ChatGPT to them, you can evaluate the result and tweek it if it's off a bit.

That's great if all you ever need is the sort of boilerplate competency to fill out a report. But it feels like once you start using ChatGPT, that's all you'll top out at. The process of using ChatGPT means both that you'll put substantially less thought into the work and you give yourself an automatic ceiling for how good it is. Maybe that's all you'll ever want - but in the real world without ChatGPT, certain people would have kept advancing, kept producing higher and higher quality work as a result of the hard work they'd put in every day. Seems like these shortcuts would have an effect of cutting off that mental work early so the actual progress in ability never manifests itself.

And even worse, what happens in the future when people raise themselves up on this shyt before they actually gained the skills? What if you started using it back when you were in middle school, to complete answers for you at the time when you were supposed to be building the neural connections and gaining the mental skills to be able to do work like this on your own. Would you ever even have gotten good enough at producing those reports to be able to evaluate whether ChatGPT had done it right? Or would you be forced to assume it was right, just because ChatGPT had done it? Perhaps you would still get feedback from time to time, telling you whether or not your ChatGPT-produced answer had hit the mark. But my experience in educational psychology suggests that we are far less able to evaluate and utilize feedback for shyt we didn't build ourselves.

There's a chance that this will curtail a lot of the development that makes us into strong thinkers. There's a reason human beings don't mature mentally until around 20-25 years old. We can't build wet neural networks with shortcuts. Perhaps for a few folk this will be a time-saving device that will allow them to spend more time in deeply engaging endeavors, but I'm guessing for a lot more young people it's going to lead to less time spent in intellectually demanding activity, and that's not good in the long run.

good analyis:jbhmm:

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
I'm blown away at how bad ChatGPT is right now at simple factual queries. I assume it will improve in later iterations. But I'm interested to know the mechanism by which it misses factual answers so badly right now. Was it not trained on enough material besides English language skills and coding? Or is the problem that it doesn't actually know how to parse the information it was trained on?

I think a lot of these answers suggest that ChatGPT is dumber than we give it credit for. Here are some random examples I ran into on the web without even specifically looking for "wrong answers".

Query: In a chess if white has a king & bishop and if black has only a king, then who can win with a perfect play?

ChatGPT: In a chess game where white has a king and a bishop and black has only a king, it is possible for either player to win with perfect play. This type of endgame is known as a king and bishop versus king endgame, and it is considered one of the most challenging in chess.

Query: Is it possible to have summer and winter in earth at the same time of the year

ChatGPT: No, it is not possible for the Earth to experience summer and winter at the same time of the year. This is because summer and winter are caused by the tilt of the Earth's axis, wihch determines the amount of solar radiation that reaches different parts of the Earth's surface. During the summer, the North Pole is tilted toward the sun, which causes the sun's rays to strike the Earth at a more direct angle. This increases the amount of solar radiation that reaches the Earth's surface, which in turn raises the temperature and causes summer weather. During the winter, the North Pole is titled away form the sun, which reduces the amount of solar radiation that reaches the Earth's surface and causes the temperature to drop. Because the Earth's axial tilt remains constant throughout the year, it is not possible for the Earth to experience both summer and winter at the same time."

Query: Is there any prime number which is also even?

ChatGPT: No, there are no prime numbers that are also even. This is because a prime number is a number that is divisible only by 1 and itself, and an even number is a number that is divisble by 2. Because all even numbers are divisible by 2, and no prime number can be divisible by any number onther than 1 and itself, it is not possible for a prime number to be even. Prime numbers must be odd numbers, as they cannot be evenly divided by any number other than 1 and themselves. Some examples of prime numbers include 3, 5, 7, 11, and 13.

Query: So 2 is a prime number of not?

ChatGPT: No, 2 is not a prime number. Prime numbers are numbers that are divisible only by 1 and themselves, and 2 is not a prime number because it can be evenly divided by other numbers besides 1 and itself. Specifically, 2 is evenly divisible by 2, so it is not a prime number.

Query: What mammal lays the largest eggs?

ChatGPT: The mammal that lays the largest eggs is the elephant. Elephant eggs are the largest of all land animals, with osme reaching up to 9 inches in length and weighing up to 5 pounds. However, elephants are not the only mammals that lay eggs. Some species of monotremes, such as the platypus and the echidna, also lay eggs. These eggs are much smaller than elephant eggs, but they are still larger than the eggs of most other mammals.

Query: Do elephants lay eggs?

ChatGPT: No, elephants do not lay eggs. Elephants are mammals and give birth to live young, rather than laying eggs. The largest eggs laid by any land animal belong to the elephant, but these eggs are not laid by the elephant itself. Instead, they are laid by a small parasitic insect known as the elephant louse. These lice lay their eggs on the skin of the elephant, and the eggs hatch into larva that feed on the elephant's skin. Although the elephant louse lays eggs that are similar in size to elephant eggs, they are not laid by elephants themselves.

Query: How can a small parasitic insect lay the largest egg?

ChatGPT: The small parasitic insect known as the elephant louse is able to lay the largest eggs of any land animal because it is not limited by the same physiological constraints as the elephant. Elephant lice are much smaller and have a simpler anatomy than elephants, so they do not need to invest as much energy into the development of their eggs. As a result ,they are able to produce eggs that are much larger in proportion to their body size than the eggs of elephants. Additionally, elephant lice lay their eggs on the skin of the elephant, rather than in a specialized reproductive organ, wihch may also allow them to produce larger eggs.

Query: Ok who won the last FIFA before 2021?

ChatGPT: I'm sorry, but I don't have that information. My training only goes up until 2021, and I don't have the ability to browse the internet, so I don't have access to current events or information that may have occurred after my training period. Is there something else I can help you with?

3rdWorld

Veteran
Bushed
Daps
That physicist Sabine Hossenfelder cosigned this tweet:

Smart people using this to replace 20-30 other people. No policies yet about UBI. Going to get crazy sooner than later.

Once rampant unemployment or loss of revenue in the leading economies happens that'll be it..

newarkhiphop

Staff member
Supporter
Daps
This is my position on it. I've been using it for just over a week for work and I'd 100% pay for a subscription if there's even a 95% uptime.

:wow:

Same here, once you feed it a bit of information on a subject it shines. Started using it full time at work earlier in the week now it answers 75% of my emails and does about 50% of my documentation

Anything it doesn't get right the first time I simply says "Was there anything from my prompt that wasn't useful" or "what information can I provide you with for a better answer"

Another one is to start the prompt of by saying "as an expert in the field of"

Redwing80

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
I needed to hire some artists to make a concept art for me, then I found that Art AI thread here and ended up using that with great results. Now I've got this to replace hiring freelance writers for me, even if something is subpar this definitely pumps out average/mid work that I can then easily augment myself

For me personally it's literally replacing some jobs but it is what it is :manny:
If you needed mid work then your budget probably wasn't enough for a decent freelancer anyway. That's not a job being replaced

Deltron

The Return
Top Supporter
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The year 3030
I asked it write a song canibus feat. nas

Verse 1 (Canibus):
Listen close, this is what I'm spittin'
Rhymes harder than granite, sharp like a kitten
I'm a lyrical assassin, killin' the game
My rhymes so sick, it's driving them insane

Chorus (Nas):
Ain't no stopping the power of the microphone
Canibus and Nas, we run this, we own
From east to west, coast to coast
We're the masters of the game, and we boast

Verse 2 (Nas):
I've been in the game for years, been around
From the streets to the boardroom, I wear the crown
My rhymes so fly, they soar like an eagle
Making the haters mad, they just can't handle

Chorus (Canibus):

Bridge (Both):
We're the kings of the game, and we reign supreme
With our rhymes so tight, it's like a lyrical dream
We won't stop until we've conquered the throne
Canibus and Nas, we're the masters of the microphone

Chorus (Both):

Outro (Both):
Listen close, this is what we're all about
Making the game ours, there's no doubt
With our rhymes so sick, and our flow so tight
Canibus and Nas, we're the kings of the mic.

jdubnyce

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
t-dot till they bury me
Snitch ass :martin:

Luckily, he had time on his hands during winter break and sat down at a coffee shop in Etobicoke to do something about it. The result: GPTZero, an app that can decipher whether something was written by a machine or human.

3rdWorld

Veteran
Bushed
Daps

Verse 1 (Canibus):

Chorus (Nas):

Verse 2 (Nas):

Chorus (Canibus):

Bridge (Both):

Chorus (Both):

Outro (Both):

Mimicry is what I have a serious problem with..

Artificial Intelligence

Not Allen Iverson
Daps

Verse 1 (Canibus):

Chorus (Nas):

Verse 2 (Nas):

Chorus (Canibus):

Bridge (Both):

Chorus (Both):

Outro (Both):
:mjpls:

SadimirPutin

Superstar
Daps
I started using it last night and I really like it so far. Using it to study for a certification I failed. Going to retake next week and see what happens.

That is a great use case for it

It is by no means perfect by by using smart prompts it is EXTREMELY USEFUL

This is one of the recent applications that has google doing some reach corporate soul searching and a there is a reason Microsoft is dropping 10 billion into that shyt

There are other AI apps to keep an eye on as well

buzzkill

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Midwest/GA
Yeah...I cant go back now. This is a cheat code in productivity :wow:
I'm a programmer... this shyt isn't replacing me... more like it's making me a super hero at coding and making skimming through docs, youtube tutorials and old articles looking for some sort of answers obsolete. They should've never showed me this :whew: