Yall agree or disagree with this take on conscious rap?

Agree or disagree?

• Yes

Votes: 9 32.1%
  • No

Votes: 5 17.9%
  • It depends

Votes: 14 50.0%

• Total voters

Mac Ten

Class of 97 !!!
Daps
Reppin
B-More
That’s why I respect Nas…

He always drops some social commentary in his songs without being forced.

Homeboy must have been listening to some of that Early 2000s backpack shyt like Cannibal Ox and those Def Jux cats.

Mike Wins

Superstar
Daps
Weak generalization. You see it on these boards every day, there's an element that's very invested in labeling any hip hop that speak on the Black experience from any angle other than selling drugs, partying and killing as lame and boring.

This dude's shytting on "conscious rappers" for not having a PhD in African Studies, but will he turn the critical eye on the rappers who got nothing to offer outside ignorance and negativity :mjpls:

Easy to say you don't need a rapper to teach you nothing when you 40 years old. And I'm not saying rap need to be history class, but there was definitely plenty of times growing up I heard something in a song that led me to pick up a book and learn more about a topic. Yeah plenty of rappers get shyt wrong, especially from the pre internet era, you had dudes getting high and sipping liquor in the studio trying to remember some shyt they read a couple years before :mjlol: but we'd be better off with more rappers promoting knowledge of self, being politically aware and having intellectual curiosity even if they get some facts wrong.

And you can be conscious from a street perspective too. Pac, Scarface, Cube, Nas, Wu, Outkast especially the first three albums, all examples of that. This idea that every conscious rapper is some disconnected hotep snob talking out their ass on every track need to be put to rest.

Last edited:

BronxBomber

www.FragrantBodyOilz.com
Daps
Could be wrong but whoever believe this is under the age of 40, conscious rap use to come from young people who were educated, there is nothing that cant be disputed by PE was telling you 911 was a joke, and govt was not our friends in the early 90s. KRS was telling you about Monsanto and drugs in our foods back then as well. Being Pro Black was a thing etc.

Honestly no. Perfect example of the industry moving Black and Brown communities into a self destructive mind state.

NZA

LOL
Daps
Reppin
These Internet Streetz
some "conscious" rappers in the 90s were a source for pseudo science and pseudo history, so i can agree with him to an extent. today, however, most are just speaking from emotion or philosophy. kinda hard to be wrong about subjective things.

Pop123

Peace
Daps
Reppin
NULL

Hahahahahahahahahahahhaahahahahahahaathis shhit got me screaming right now.

Idk how true it is…it doesn’t even really make sense, but it’s hilarious. When I became a “readin nikka” and got into more cultured/smart things I really stopped enjoying gangsta/ignorant music, 🤷🏽‍♂️, I don’t get his angle.

50 said it best tho…”the fukk is a conscious rapper? I know exactly what I’m saying when I’m saying it, I’m conscious of it, I’m a conscious rapper too.”

FruitOfTheVale

Superstar
Daps
I've lowkey said it before but in terms of what "conscious rap" even means these days, a lot of people use it interchangeably with backpacker rap which is not accurate at all. Ice Cube, Public Enemy, Paris, etc. are not backpacker at all and are all textbook "conscious" rappers, i.e. they made music that reflects on/calls out/deconstructs/demands change from social ills black men and people are subject to with a strong militant edge that arose from knowledge of self. Plenty of popular Hip Hop artists who didn't lead with that image-wise made conscious records here and there (or a lot of them) as well.

IMO the tweet in the OP reflects some people's need to make a political mascot out of any entertainer w/ a brain and also reflects a mindset of looking for a popular Black leader to follow. Lowkey though the real sentiment beneath the tweet is jealousy. Being better-read but having less conviction in your beliefs and less ability to express them (and therefore not being heard nor recognized) is like a tree falling in the forest... and on top of that apparently dude is a "rapper" :mjlol: so yeah I'm chalking it up to that. Not to say that there aren't rappers who don't know wtf they're talking about but he's generalizing "conscious" rap in general so the shoe doesn't fit.

Last edited:

Capitol

Did this work
Daps
Where does this fall in the "conscious rap" spectrum