Yall agree or disagree with this take on conscious rap?

Agree or disagree?

• Yes

Votes: 9 32.1%
  • No

Votes: 5 17.9%
  • It depends

Votes: 14 50.0%

• Total voters

☑︎#VoteDemocrat

The Original
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Deep State
It never makes any damn sense. Conscious rappers are dumb and not crash out #678 because "well they're not selling intelligence". It's BS and an excuse.

Same people will say 'balance' is needed but don't support any rappers on the other side of the gate because of some made up standards and expectations that don't exist for the other 90% of Hip Hop.
its like how rappers support Rapsody but dont even really fukk with her music like that :laff:

She fills the space of what people expect from music but it falls short so they embrace it for what it’s supposed to represent.

Pure Water

Superstar
Daps
For me it's not that I don't like conscious rap, it's just that a lot of conscious rappers just aren't palatable enough. They either choose terrible beats, they're fake deep, they have a terrible voice, or just don't produce enough music.

It's why even though Kendrick may not like the conscious label, he's the perfect blend of speaking on something that's real while also being palatable. Outkast was the same way. You have to make people want to listen to what you have to say.

Capitol

Did this work
Daps
I feel like the whole concept of conscious rap has been pigeon holded into a box where these dudes have to be dropping gems in every breath. Being conscious just means you aren't a zombie or an animal. It doesn't mean you're a genius or the next messiah so why are we holding them to that standard?

To me, it's just another facet of being a human to speak on what you observe from an emotional or intellectual stand point. How can every song be a turn up song, ego trip, sliding on someone, or about a girl? A brother or sister making a song about what they are seeing in society should not be regulated to a subgenre and everything else slides free willy.

DaMos Supreme

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
For me it's not that I don't like conscious rap, it's just that a lot of conscious rappers just aren't palatable enough. They either choose terrible beats, they're fake deep, they have a terrible voice, or just don't produce enough music.

It's why even though Kendrick may not like the conscious label, he's the perfect blend of speaking on something that's real while also being palatable. Outkast was the same way. You have to make people want to listen to what you have to say.
I largely agree with this sentiment, but on the flipside I think a good majority of folks just don’t care for conscious content in comparison to other topics.

‘Fukk living positive, cause negativity spreads faster’ - Lloyd Banks

I think the whole ‘lyrical miracle’ tag, or these rappers are not smart enough because they are high school dropouts is an overplayed and convenient excuse to dismissed conscious rappers. Even if a rapper is very good lyrically, great flow and cadence, good hooks, and has a good ear for production. A large portion would prefer the provocative topics of over-indulgence, opulence, and sometimes nihilism in their raps over the conscious content.

I’m not on my soapbox, but I think people should be more honest and say I’m just not largely interested in consciousness in my raps. Me personally, some of my favorite rappers and songs ranged from ultra ignorant/pure unadulterated ignorance to powerful, conscious, uplifting, and positive.

Listen to what you like at the end of the day, but be honest :hubie: :russ:

EndDomination

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Depends on what he's referring to as "conscious rap."

Everything Mos Def/Yasiin Bey said on Black on Both Sides and The Ecstatic was *entirely accurate.* New World Water, Mathematics, Umi Says, Broolyn, Hip-Hop, Supermagic, History, etc.

Are we talking about billy woods and Armand Hammer, Noname, dead prez, Lupe and El-P? $ilkmoney and Common? Tupac, early Public Enemy, The Coup, Digable Planets?

Its always frustrating when J. Cole and Kendrick Lamar are treated as "conscious rap" and criticisms are levied based on that.

Pseudo

All Star
Daps
100% for sure! Especially when you get better understanding of politics and social issues.

Almost ruined a lot of my favourite albums when I went back to them

EDIT: Like the poster above said conscious hip hop is an umbrella term.

Like Kendrick is conscious but he usually talks about himself and tries to tie it in with the wider human experience.

But some 90s-2000's conscious albums sound really stupid now. Like I can't believe I thought these dudes were spitting. Stay in your lane

Last edited:

#AAGang; formerly Selah
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Syracuse
I’d be interested in what specific bars makes him feel like they don’t know what they’re talking about. I also always find it interesting that rappers like 2Pac and Ice Cube never get that label

Piff Perkins

Veteran
Daps
Nope because the insinuation is that conscious rap must be about overarching issues (politics, systems, religion, etc) instead of someone talking about being a conscious human being. Reading more books has no bearings on me being able to appreciate a rapper talking about himself, his hood, his family, his struggle, etc.

You don't have to be Immortal Technique to be conscious.

Pseudo

All Star
Daps
Example(s)
I think one of Outkast albums or one of GZA's lines on Liquid Swords was one but I got to go back to my library to be sure. Don't quote me on it

Last edited:

mag357

Superstar
Daps
I'm neutral on the tweet, but I'd like to think that that person started reading more because of conscious rap. I did!
This...
But the guys I listen to weren't "conscious". Just intelligent and they would say things I didn't know about. So I had to find out.