Yahya Abdul-Mateen II: You Have to ‘Get Over Yourself’ to Star in ‘Clown Work’ Like ‘Aquaman’

Concerned Citizen

Stevie Wonder 2099
Daps
If you can't equate an underwater villain with a big ass helmet twice the size of his head with a clown then you're having your own issues.

All superheroes are people dressed up is crazy outfits trying to entertain. Ain't nothing cerebral or noble about it.

And thats FINE. Sometimes you want clowns and sometimes you want to read a textbook.
You’re painting super hero movies with too broad a brush and bringing the nuance into the statement that he should’ve if he was gonna use that term, which he didn’t even have to.

Not even comedians refer to their work as clown work and their whole point is to make you laugh.

Rekkapryde

GT, LWO, 49ERS, BRAVES, HAWKS, N4O...yeah UMAD!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TYRONE GA!
Meh sounds entitled, work is work I bet he didn't get a clown check.

Them Yale Drama School alums are deep and talented. I get it that he wants to balance his roles. Shouldn't have said clown work though knowing how sensitive mufukkaz are nowadays.

And fukk all yall, he was a beast as Black Manta. Now even going to get into him as Dr Manhattan. :wow:

My oldest kid wants to get into acting, but them Yale prices. :mjcry:

Yale Drama School alums:

Angela Bassett :noah:
Merryl Streep :leon:
Courtney Vance :wow:
Charles "Roc" Dutton :wow:
Lupita Nyong'O :noah:
Winston Duke
David Alan Grier :wow:
Ernie Hudson :wow:
Sigourney Weaver :leon:
Lance Reddikk :wow:
Kathryn Hann
John Turturro
Yahya Abdul Mateen II :wow:
Sanaa Lathan :noah:
Henry Winkler
Liev Schreiber
Paul Giamatti
Brian Tyree Henry :dame:

AnonymityX1000

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
New York
Them Yale Drama School alums are deep and talented. I get it that he wants to balance his roles. Shouldn't have said clown work though knowing how sensitive mufukkaz are nowadays.

And fukk all yall, he was a beast as Black Manta. Now even going to get into him as Dr Manhattan. :wow:

My oldest kid wants to get into acting, but them Yale prices. :mjcry:

Yale Drama School alums:

Angela Bassett :noah:
Merryl Streep :leon:
Courtney Vance :wow:
Charles "Roc" Dutton :wow:
Lupita Nyong'O :noah:
Winston Duke
David Alan Grier :wow:
Ernie Hudson :wow:
Sigourney Weaver :leon:
Lance Reddikk :wow:
Kathryn Hann
John Turturro
Yahya Abdul Mateen II :wow:
Sanaa Lathan :noah:
Henry Winkler
Liev Schreiber
Paul Giamatti
Brian Tyree Henry :dame:
Don Harvey to. I did coke with him in LA a decade ago. lol

• Haha
Reactions: NZA

Tryna Makit

High plains drifter
Daps
In a way Im glad he said it tho, like @Luke Cage said you can tell in their performances if they are into or not.

It makes me wonder how many other actors consider these comic book roles some clown shyt.

With all the clout, all the hype, all the press he gets(deservedly) I wonder if a guy like Jonathan Majors feels like that....or if Chadwick Boseman felt like that?......I doubt Cheadle and Jackson feel that way

It's not a bad thing to feel because Scorsese broke the internet for a min when he said something similar....it just might not be smart to vocalize if you still gonna be trying to get work...

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
That was the first role I seen him in and he reminded me of a rip off Michael jai white as Black Manta. I liked him in candyman but he was limited due to the script.
yeah Aquaman was campy as hell cause it tried to be like a MCU flick.

Dude has range but the scripts he has been involved with just aint been good. I couldn't even finish that matrix flick.

Dude is my choice to be the Tchalla recast I will say

semicko82

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I get what he's saying you basically have to do the popcorn movies so the movies with a "message " can get play