Xenoblade Chronicles 3 (July 29, 2022)

Eternally Jaded

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
CT/North-east Caribbean American Crew
1's biggest fans were just nintendo stans starving for an JRPG when they didn't have any

you speak objectively about it and its rough
Nah, you gotta put the love in the context of its original release era.

HD Ps3/360/Wii era was super bleak for jrpgs.

Ff13 was a corridor with trash level design(remember hd towns are hard?), Lost Odyssey and Blue Dragon were cool but not on the Japanese systems so nobody played them.

The only good rpg ip from that era was Valkyria Chronicles, but it was an srpg so that filtered out the masses.
Otherwise Infinite Undiscovery, another Xbox exclusive iirc and Star Ocean n Eternal Sonata were it. And they were bad. (I know I'm leaving out other ish like White Knight Chronicles but those games were hot garbage so I'm not even counting them)

Tales of Vesperia was the only decent jrpg entry damn near the entire generation.

You gotta remember that the ps2 generation wasn't as good as the ps1 for jrpgs but it was still a thriving scene.

HD era though?

No Suikoden. -last seen on ps2
No Breath of Fire. -last seen on ps2
No Grandia. -last seen on ps2
No Valkyrie Profile. -last seen on ps2
No Wild Arms. - last seen on ps2

Tbh just seeing how much jrpg clout was lost kinda saddens me right now.

It was into this bleak landscape that Xenoblade Chronicles launched, and it felt like something from the ps2 era.

I don't like the series personally and would love it if the series just blatantly copied Star Oceans battle system but XC was the definition of "right time right place".

X3 does look like the glossiest jrpg outside of FF, DQ and Persona though. I just hate that terrible battle system.

I wish Nintendo bought Tri-Ace. They're much better at character design and gameplay

tripleaamin

All Star
Daps
Nah, you gotta put the love in the context of its original release era.

HD Ps3/360/Wii era was super bleak for jrpgs.

Ff13 was a corridor with trash level design(remember hd towns are hard?), Lost Odyssey and Blue Dragon were cool but not on the Japanese systems so nobody played them.

The only good rpg ip from that era was Valkyria Chronicles, but it was an srpg so that filtered out the masses.
Otherwise Infinite Undiscovery, another Xbox exclusive iirc and Star Ocean n Eternal Sonata were it. And they were bad. (I know I'm leaving out other ish like White Knight Chronicles but those games were hot garbage so I'm not even counting them)

Tales of Vesperia was the only decent jrpg entry damn near the entire generation.

You gotta remember that the ps2 generation wasn't as good as the ps1 for jrpgs but it was still a thriving scene.

HD era though?

No Suikoden. -last seen on ps2
No Breath of Fire. -last seen on ps2
No Grandia. -last seen on ps2
No Valkyrie Profile. -last seen on ps2
No Wild Arms. - last seen on ps2

Tbh just seeing how much jrpg clout was lost kinda saddens me right now.

It was into this bleak landscape that Xenoblade Chronicles launched, and it felt like something from the ps2 era.

I don't like the series personally and would love it if the series just blatantly copied Star Oceans battle system but XC was the definition of "right time right place".

X3 does look like the glossiest jrpg outside of FF, DQ and Persona though. I just hate that terrible battle system.

I wish Nintendo bought Tri-Ace. They're much better at character design and gameplay
Most times I see this is the case that people do not understand how to play it. Is it weird and unconventional? Yes, and it won't be for everyone. I completely understand if people want something more traditional and streamlined. But Xenoblade 2 gameplay for me was very solid/good.

Obviously, games like SMT, Souls, and Ys will have better gameplay. But compared to the rest of these modern JRPG's like Persona, Trails, Dragon Quest, etc. It becomes way too easy to break these games even on high difficulties. Of course, you got games like Tales of Arise where the design is really frustrating and you don't feel rewarded for mastering it.

The only main flaw with Xenoblade's combat is getting a feel for it. Imo the best part of 2 for me was the DLC challenge mode. It really tested you if you knew what the hell you were doing during the base game.

tripleaamin

All Star
Daps
Damn Nintendo still hasn't shipped the physical copy for SE yet :francis: and it says 4-9 business days.

I might just cave and buy a physical copy on release tbh.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
B39-F814-E-E10-A-4-E2-E-9-C64-7194-B79-AF28-F.jpg

Tetris v2.0

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Trying to avoid reviews but general consensus is consistent with the way the others were received which is reassuring as a fan

I actually preordered from Gamestop (EB in Canada) to secure a physical on day 1 lol haven't done that shyt in a while. Finish work at noon, and going to immerse myself in this piff