Xbox Series S/X continues NPD dominance.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY

AB709061-044-F-4-D90-8-BFF-02-B673-AC7048.jpg

:mjpls:

iceberg_is_on_fire

Honolulu Blue Ski Mask Way
Daps
Reppin
Lombardi Trophies in Allen Park
There were insiders that said Microsoft paid for chip priority over other tech manufacturers last year, and that's probably why they're producing more units. That kinda shows that they were aware of the issue and compensated for it.

Of course those are just the words of supposed "insiders".

I've read this as well.

The dies are different for making the Series X and Series S chips. You can basically produce more Series S' than Series X with the same amount of material/resources

This is true.

I would actually say that while, to varying degrees, both of the above is true, the fault ultimately lies in the design in the console. I've long been a believer in that what eventually came to market was the Playstation 5.x.

These issues haven't stopped. Remember, they started manufacturing the ps5 six months before the Series consoles but the issue is in the design. Wide and slow vs narrow and fast is the crux. It is currently easier to manufacture a console with 52 compute units at 1.825ghz vs one with 36 compute units at 2.23ghz. Microsoft went with the classic pc approach with a few exceptions when designing the Series consoles. The Playstation 5 does not. Perhaps when they can get the ps5 to a lower nm node, then it'll work out but I'll say what I've always said. Cerny had the best console $399 had to offer to be released for 2019. When Sony first heard rumors about 12tf, they knew they had to go back to the drawing board.

Higher clocks, liquid paste for cooling, overengineered heat sink, huge power draw on the psu. That's the supply chain issue as I believe it to be. The ps5 runs hot and it causes issues in manufacturing. Microsoft, even if paying for chip priority, isn't creating this much of a sales disparity between the two with just that. Microsoft just had their best March ever in what is supposed to be a shortage draught for components. Sony cut forecast by 3.3 million just this past February but Microsoft is celebrating monthly highs in sales the very next month? Make it make sense. Again, maybe it is chip priority but also, the classic design = better yields because Microsoft left power on the table with the XSX for better yields.

I've been consistent with this. Nothing about games, sales in the sense of competition. I've long believed that the origin of the ps5 and the subsequent history around it would make for a 30 for 30. Everything said or done is a reinforcement of my thinking. Like NOTHING has come out to make anyone thing differently about their ability to make the console in high quantity as of now.

Regular_P

Just end the season.
Daps
Microsoft always uses a bunch of vague wording to make it seem like they're conquering the video game world when in reality, they aren't.

They'll extrapolate some random bit of data and use it with misleading wording like when these consoles first dropped and the press releases were "fastest selling" console over PS5 because they released a week later so the units sold (which was fewer) divided by the number of days made it "faster" selling.

It's always PR sleight of hand with these bozos.

iceberg_is_on_fire

Honolulu Blue Ski Mask Way
Daps
Reppin
Lombardi Trophies in Allen Park
Microsoft always uses a bunch of vague wording to make it seem like they're conquering the video game world when in reality, they aren't.

This isn't microsoft though. It's NPD, where almost all developers and publishers contribute and have their numbers, with the exception of Nintendo and Take Two digital sales oddly enough. As company policy, they don't release numbers for any device any longer.

Regular_P

Just end the season.
Daps
This isn't microsoft though. It's NPD, where almost all developers and publishers contribute and have their numbers, with the exception of Nintendo and Take Two digital sales oddly enough. As company policy, they don't release numbers for any device any longer.
They don't release numbers because they aren't leading anymore. That's why they stopped releasing numbers. Believe, if they release a console that dwarfs the competition, they'll be citing numbers again.

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan

Microsoft needs to shut the hell up on points like this. They are the only console manufacturer that doesn't give any meaningful numbers on consoles sold or individual games sold and everybody knows why they don't. At this point we can say they're purposely not doing this industry standard practice to avoid embarrassing comparisons with official numbers. Even Nintendo in the Wii U era gave numbers to investors.

They should be hyper focused on fixing their software studios and output so people in significant numbers will deem their product worth buying.

Having people take victory laps on Twitter when you outsell your supply constrained competitor on Twitter is dumb because everyone including them knew when the supply righted itself that wasn't going to last.

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
Microsoft needs to shut the hell up on points like this. They are the only console manufacturer that doesn't give any meaningful numbers on consoles sold or individual games sold and everybody knows why they don't. At this point we can say they're purposely not doing this industry standard practice to avoid embarrassing comparisons with official numbers. Even Nintendo in the Wii U era gave numbers to investors.

They should be hyper focused on fixing their software studios and output so people in significant numbers will deem their product worth buying.

Having people take victory laps on Twitter when you outsell your supply constrained competitor on Twitter is dumb because everyone including them knew when the supply righted itself that wasn't going to last.
Sony stans :mjlol: