Xbox Game Pass Standard Tier Doesn't Include Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3, Starfield, Diablo 4, and More

kaldurahm

All Star
Daps
At a certain price point, you might as well buy the games. Or just wait for a sale. $20 a month for entertainment ain't it.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
hmm, this a bit tricky. It's sustainable in a sense if you've reached a certain benchmark in subs. Then gamepass is a brilliant move, but if you don't then hmmm. For example if Microsoft had a bigger install base and were able to hit 50 million subs. Then I don't think you could scoff at them generating $9billion paying subscribers. I think even at a number like 40million subs on pc gamepass and gamepass ultimate would be very good becuase that's still $7billion. The problem lies is market rejecting Xbox and WIndows store, so they most likely won't hit those benchmarks to make gamepass a brilliant move and most likely doesn't help that they're bringing their games to Playstation and Nintendo.

I think even if they hit 50 million (which would probably be the ceiling even if they were moving consoles like sony) it would still be tough for them. The content required to keep it sustainable just keeps costing more and more every year. You’re putting stuff like COD, Indiana Jones, DOOM, other projects in the range of 100m+ dollars, plus buying 3rd party stuff throughout the year which phil spencer says cost over a billion dollars.

Making AAA content is costing more money than netflix is spending on producing original content outside of their marquee stuff like stranger things. Netflix has almost 300 million subscribers and they are continually raising prices.

I think gamepass at this point would need to be well over 30 dollars to be somewhat feasible long term. Thats why games like DOOM and Indiana Jones are coming to other consoles because they can’t rely on just steam to carry them. Anyone on xbox that would have bought those games are already signed up for gamepass most likely

Instant Classic

All Star
Supporter
Daps
I think even if they hit 50 million (which would probably be the ceiling even if they were moving consoles like sony) it would still be tough for them. The content required to keep it sustainable just keeps costing more and more every year. You’re putting stuff like COD, Indiana Jones, DOOM, other projects in the range of 100m+ dollars, plus buying 3rd party stuff throughout the year which phil spencer says cost over a billion dollars.

Making AAA content is costing more money than netflix is spending on producing original content outside of their marquee stuff like stranger things. Netflix has almost 300 million subscribers and they are continually raising prices.

I think gamepass at this point would need to be well over 30 dollars to be somewhat feasible long term. Thats why games like DOOM and Indiana Jones are coming to other consoles because they can’t rely on just steam to carry them. Anyone on xbox that would have bought those games are already signed up for gamepass most likely
I think key would be for them to make purchases within ecosystem. IF a gamepass user buys early edition of COD, ES6, Forza, and other games then they're able to make back some of the money. We all saw how many did that with Starfield and Forza Horizon. I think stuff like that is how they get money back. COD gamble could work out if it gets person hooked on game to buy battle passes and cosmetic. There's a chance that happens and that person most likely wouldn't have bought COD, so there's a chance they might shrug it off and buy COD mtx.

As it stands, gamepass main barrier is xbox console sales decline and windows store being an afterthought. I have no clue why they didn't rebuild their windows store to be viable because they might be able to get some PC gamers to sub rather than purchasing on steam

Rekkapryde

GT, LWO, 49ERS, BRAVES, HAWKS, N4O...yeah UMAD!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TYRONE GA!
hmm, this a bit tricky. It's sustainable in a sense if you've reached a certain benchmark in subs. Then gamepass is a brilliant move, but if you don't then hmmm. For example if Microsoft had a bigger install base and were able to hit 50 million subs. Then I don't think you could scoff at them generating $9billion paying subscribers. I think even at a number like 40million subs on pc gamepass and gamepass ultimate would be very good becuase that's still $7billion. The problem lies is market rejecting Xbox and WIndows store, so they most likely won't hit those benchmarks to make gamepass a brilliant move and most likely doesn't help that they're bringing their games to Playstation and Nintendo.

exactly. common sense.

but if this is the deathblow to Phil then :yeshrug:

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
As it stands, gamepass main barrier is xbox console sales decline and windows store being an afterthought. I have no clue why they didn't rebuild their windows store to be viable because they might be able to get some PC gamers to sub rather than purchasing on steam

I think the main barrier for a service like gamepass is the medium itself. There just aren’t enough people on earth that are playing video games the same way and to such a quantity. The ceiling is just way too low.

Theres more and more people that are playing games that only require one finger, for hours a day. Theres also F2P becoming the dominate platforms on their own. Very few people need like 80 indie titles a year, and a smattering of AAA titles specifically from microsoft for that amount of money annually.

245 dollars a year is a lot of money to most people when the biggest games aren’t even launched day one on the service

The Mad Titan

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
No ps plus has always given out free games before xbox live did.

Again, gamepass is turning more into ps plus
Once they started charging for PSN sure :mjlol:

They were in a position to just start charging for online without offering anything and people not flocking to Xbox.