Xbox Game Pass (Official Thread)

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
Sure, but it was a new SKU day one on gamepass.

Callisto Proticol is an indie game.

And again. There’s at least a dozen AAA games releasing day one on gamepass this year. What you are saying just doesn’t line up with reality.

Gamepass didn’t exist in the past. In the ultra competitive gaming world of today. Gamepass is the number one way to get your game out there to make a name for itself. We have seen devs talk about it on multiple occasions at this point. Just you sony stan’s in denial :smh:
Lol @ you calling me a Sony stan. You can't see fandom outside extremes. Just because you're a company stan doesn't mean everyone else is. Some of us just like to play games we enjoy and loyalty to any corporation is silly.

What you refuse to admit is when you walk into Microsoft's walled garden you do so on terms favorable to them first and foremost. You're making a tradeoff to do that. They simply aren't going to give you a deal that's better than you putting your game out the traditional way and having it stand on it's own. Now if you doing that is impossible or unlikely Game Pass makes sense. I'd argue that if your game is good and you aren't a small indie publisher it makes more sense to try and fail the traditional route than to just go straight to Game Pass day 1. If you try and fail you can always go to Game Pass after the fact. If your product is good what have you lost?

"Activision is concerned that participation in subscription services could impact its [REDACTED] and would lead to brand dilution and cannibalisation of buy-to-play sales (especially of new releases)."

"Historically, a very limited number of Activision titles have featured on PlayStation Plus, but these titles have always been older releases that have been provided to PlayStation Plus many years after their initial release via buy-to-play, and are only made available for a limited time. Activision has never published any newer content on multigame subscription services and has no intention to do so in the future."

"Without the Merger, Activision content would not be available on multigame subscription services. The Merger can therefore not make competitive conditions worse, under any circumstances."

This is Microsoft admitting Activision's views on Game Pass. That it will cannibalize sales of games and is only really worthy of older sold through titles. In other words Activision looked at Game Pass and said we're not desperate enough to go that route.

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
Maybe games with built in fanbases they’ve cultivated over multiple generations of consoles, not new IPs. A new franchise from a new studio has to prove themselves, when they come out with a game that gets middling scores and poor word of mouth it inevitably kills the long term legs of the game.
Again this is not true.

Some of the most popular and successful games out right now did not review well up front.

In 2023 building an audience for your game is much more important than being able to sell a couple copies for $70 day one.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
In 2023 building an audience for your game is much more important than being able to sell a couple copies for $70 day one.

If your game is good it will find an audience. The only example you probably have that says otherwise is High on Life which blew up on Tiktok.

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
Lol @ you calling me a Sony stan.
Yeah you one of the worst sony stan’s here. Disgusting behavior outa you :scust:

You can't see fandom outside extremes. Just because you're a company stan doesn't mean everyone else is. Some of us just like to play games we enjoy and loyalty to any corporation is silly.
Yeah, sounds like something a sony stan would say :scust:
What you refuse to admit is when you walk into Microsoft's walled garden you do so on terms favorable to them first and foremost. You're making a tradeoff to do that. They simply aren't going to give you a deal that's better than you putting your game out the traditional way and having it stand on it's own. Now if you doing that is impossible or unlikely Game Pass makes sense. I'd argue that if your game is good and you aren't a small indie publisher it makes more sense to try and fail the traditional route than to just go straight to Game Pass day 1. If you try and fail you can always go to Game Pass after the fact. If your product is good what have you lost?

This is Microsoft admitting Activision's views on Game Pass. That it will cannibalize sales of games and is only really worthy of older sold through titles. In other words Activision looked at Game Pass and said we're not desperate enough to go that route.
COD is an established franchise. They’d sell multiple millions no matter what they do.

I guarantee you adding it to gamepass, cloud, nintendo, and everything else will only increase revenue. Remember even COD has moved to a FTP model in some cases. That ongoing money is worth more than initial sales even for the biggest games in some cases.

The Mad Titan

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Its just about managing expectations. They wanted to sell 5 million copies, they needed to put out a way better game. The cream rises to the top

Despite what people think some sony games sell the way they do because beyond the pretty graphics and production budget, they’re actually fun to play.
:mjlol:
It really just boils down to time.

Time is money, eventually companies need to have returns on paper along with everything that goes along with that. And in CP case even with help from Sony they still needed more time.

Most Sony 1st party title games do well because they get the time they need. The last of us 2 was announced in 2016 and it dropped in 2020. And this is a game that has assets and a foundation from a team familiar with all the tools they were using. I want to say it didn't even get a official date until 2019.

old pig

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Yeah they woulda been way better off signing that GP deal.

Very few games have inherent success built in. The rest could benefit greatly by signing with GP.

Callisto Protocol leaders were too full of themselves in what they thought they would/could achieve and they got burnt, probably their first and last game with that kinda funding.

The game would have been much better received if they had a humble gamepass release and let the game grow organically something like High on Life.

As it stands that $70 single player game with middling reviews and a short playtime was a failure as it shoulda been.

The revenue wins didnt come till AFTER the GP release.

Without GP they would have struggled to break even, like Callisto Protical

as it is they will come crawling/begging to get this shyt listed on game pass :lolbron:

The Mad Titan

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
as it is they will come crawling/begging to get this shyt listed on game pass :lolbron:
The funny thing is if it would have been a day 1 release on GP I would have given it a try.. as it stands now even if it gets to gamepass the odds of me playing it are much lower personally.

But I guess that's better than me never playing it at all

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
Again this is not true.

Some of the most popular and successful games out right now did not review well up front.

You can build an audience with a demo, a quality game, and positive word of mouth upon release. Game Pass doesn't have a monopoly on building an audience. The best selling consoles in the world either don't have a subscription service or only send older titles to it and neither has Game Pass yet successful franchises are still built.

If The Callisto Protocol would have came out on Game Pass. It would still have got the same average at best review scores it got and hit the same brick wall it hit anyway because the game wasn't good enough to get word of mouth sales past release. Hell they probably would have sold even less copies because some people that bought it on Xbox likely would have just played it on Game Pass and the word of mouth would have been that it was a mediocre games cutting it's buzz short.

Game Pass is perfect for stuff like Chained Echoes. Stuff that's actually good but unlikely to sell well and garner attention. The Callisto Protocol's problem wasn't that it didn't come to Game Pass but that it was mediocre overall. Also a new IP selling 2.5 million out the gate should be conditions for success not failure.

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
You can build an audience with a demo, a quality game, and positive word of mouth upon release. Game Pass doesn't have a monopoly on building an audience. The best selling consoles in the world either don't have a subscription service or only send older titles to it and neither has Game Pass yet successful franchises are still built.
I never said gamepass had a monopoly. I said it’s one tool available to increase an audience.

With every topic you find a way to talk about playstation sales. And you claim you aren’t a stan :mjlol:
If The Callisto Protocol would have came out on Game Pass. It would still have got the same average at best review scores it got and hit the same brick wall it hit anyway because the game wasn't good enough to get word of mouth sales past release. Hell they probably would have sold even less copies because some people that bought it on Xbox likely would have just played it on Game Pass and the word of mouth would have been that it was a mediocre games cutting it's buzz short.
If it came out at a lower price point and/or on a subscription services. Reviewers would have been a lot more kind to it. $70 makes them compare it to Elden Ring. $40-$50 and/or a gamepass release would have had them compare it to other indie horror games.

Lots of games on gamepass don’t have glowing reviews but still found very healthy audience.
Game Pass is perfect for stuff like Chained Echoes. Stuff that's actually good but unlikely to sell well and garner attention. The Callisto Protocol's problem wasn't that it didn't come to Game Pass but that it was mediocre overall. Also a new IP selling 2.5 million out the gate should be conditions for success not failure.
Opinions are subjective. Lots of people don’t view the game as mediocre. With a larger audience that number of people would go up, which would lead to those people talking about the game which would lead to more sales and engagement of the game. Again multiple devs have detailed this being the case with their gamepass release.

High on life devs said:
If you really do believe you made something worthwhile, it’s a pretty powerful tool. And that’s what I gathered in doing my due diligence on it on my own. A lot of folks told me that non-Game Pass games that they ship versus Game Pass games, [they get] 7x sales.